Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1960s Necktie Question

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
I've been recovering from the end of Mad Men and while doing so I began to think about purchasing a tie from the era. My question pertains mainly to the width of a tie that would most commonly be seen in the early-mid 1960s. I know that the tie width often was no wider than the widest portion of the lapels, and that in the late 1960s there was a widening of the tie (that which I would attribute to the preceding "bold look"). I've seen a lot of different widths tossed around and I am primarily looking for one that might go well with a short-sleeve white button down (a la NASA control room). I am a fan of solid colors with a small mid-century design in the center if that means anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm fascinated by 1960s fashions, and am often inspired by the more dressed-up looks. The suit lapels were often narrow (or pretty normal for recent standards, yet often a little narrower), but somewhat wider lapels (and ties) were seen then, as well, and were also worn with ties of different widths than the lapels. I think getting to be that exact with lapel and tie width is more of a modern piece of advice, but I could be wrong. If you want to look close to the early-mid 1960s fashions in ties, you wouldn't be wearing a tie wider than 3 inches wide (at the bottom, while the tie narrows as it goes up to get closer to 2"). The most fashionable ties were even thinner than 2 1/2" though, as that and wider were more conservative widths until the very late '60s and early '70s when wide was in fashion again. I'm thinking as far as the fashions were for the early half of the decade (up to 1967), 2 1/2 inches and under is a good representative of that. You could even wear a slightly wider tie, and it would fit in, although more conservatively. I own many ties from that era, as well as a suit and a jacket. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I think tie lengths rarely exceeded 56 inches during the 1960s, and closer to 52 inches was still very common.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The good thing is, if you want skinny 1960s ties, check with James Powers. He hates the things (maybe more than he hates 'boring' striped ties). Maybe he has a sackful he can send you?

And yes, Rooster ties. I know that their square-end, knit ties were really nice.

Braz

Familiar Face
I recall having a few Ascot ties that I wore in the mid 60s. Conventional ties were pretty narrow during that era.

The good thing is, if you want skinny 1960s ties, check with James Powers. He hates the things (maybe more than he hates 'boring' striped ties). Maybe he has a sackful he can send you?

And yes, Rooster ties. I know that their square-end, knit ties were really nice.

:rofl: Yes I do and I have plenty from buying tie lots. You get a couple of dozen you want and then you get tons of 2 inch 60s and 70s ties. :p
Let me know what color you want. :p
Here is a photo of the TV show Crime Story set in 1963-1964. These are the 60s ties I am talking about:
crime-story_l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner