Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 Vintage Borsalinos For Trade (from the 30's?)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Okay, sometimes you just have to come to grips with the fact that your favorite hats don't quite fit.

These are both Borsalinos from the famed Bulgarian: I bought them as New Old Stock, but have worn them. The felt is in great shape; the sweat bands are not pristine, but soft. The grey one never had a liner; the blue one did, but I removed it (as I hate them). I stretched them to fit my head -- 7 1/4 -- but they keep shrinking back down to 7 1/8. So I figure I'll trade them for an actual 7 1/4.

Pictures here.

I think that the grey one is from the 30's... maybe early 40's; and the blue one from the late 20's or early 30's. (But I'd happily be corrected.)

The blue is Extra Superiore, and a bit dressier than the grey: it has a bound edge, whereas the other is unadorned. The binding and the ribbon are in fact the same color of deep blue as the hat. (The photos are pretty accurate: it's a *very* dark blue.) The felt is extremely thin, with a superb hand -- I keep it unblocked, and hand bash in whatever shape I feel like that day. (This particular bash took all of ten seconds...)

The grey is a Trionfo Superiore -- it's a warm medium-to-dark grey, with a black ribbon. The felt is equally thin and malleable (again, I just hand bash it); the surface is less finely pounced than the blue. My guess is that the blue was meant for your Sunday best, and the grey was to be worn to the office.

As you can see in the photo, I split the back of the leather sweat band on the grey one, in order to stretch it. You could easily put this back together (if you wanted to make it, say, a size 7) -- you could even just tie the ribbon more tightly: it has that amazing adjustable ribbon threaded through the leather.

I'd like to trade for 7 1/4 hats. If you have something really superb, I'd trade both for a single hat -- it would have to be a gem.

I'm looking for a tall crown (like these), and a medium to wide brim. They don't have to be Borsalinos -- I'd be happy with a high-end Knox, or Dobbs, or something exotic. In fact, a vintage Open Road or Stratoliner would make me happy (or a really good clone). Not interested in modern hats (nothing later than 1970). Make me an offer!

(By the way: The vintage piggybank is not for sale, but the vintage Super Graphic is, if you're into large format photography...)

Boodles

A-List Customer
If you do not end up finding a suitable trade...

...for these fine hats, I would be interested in buying the blue one, if I can afford it.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Thanks!

I've had a few offers to buy, but I'm big on trading (since people here tend to have nice/rare stuff.) If I don't get a stellar trade, however, I'll sell.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you have the original liner for the blue one? Are they both 7-1/8 or euro size 5? I have some hats, let me know what color and shape and I can see if I have some you like.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Sizing

Hi Douglas,

The grey one read 5 1/2 on the serial number tag (serial #38331 -- so if you believe serial lore, than means 1938; I'm not sure this is always accurate, but that year seems about right).

Now what's peculiar is that the blue one -- which I seem to remember was a touch larger than the grey before stretching, says size 5. Oy. The blue one also says "7 UK" -- which is the equivalent of 7 1/8 US. (Serial # 30688 -- and it definitely looks like a 1930 hat.) I don't really understand the old-style Borsalino sizing: I believe it corresponds to something more complex than mere circumference, no?

I used to have all my liners somewhere, but I think I finally threw them out. I just find them uncomfortable -- they always dip down and touch the top of my head. (I'm big on wearing hats, not collecting them per se, so I don't keep all the bits and pieces. Heresy, I know, but I've even thrown out a lot of old hat boxes.)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Oh, and I'm open to most colors. Not black (as I have a couple), and probably not really dark brown (as I have three). But if they're great hats, I'll look at anything.

I prefer a full crown, relatively high -- but the crucial thing is no taper. (Negative taper is fine.) Brim about 2 1/8 to 2 1/2" (i.e. not stingy, not The Shadow Knows.) Judging from most of the hats you post here, Douglas, I suspect we have the same taste.

Oh, and a natural 7 1/4 -- nothing stretched to that size. (Too many issues with stretching, ha.)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Douglas....

Looking at it, the hat in your avatar would be perfect. I mean, you probably don't want to trade *that* one, but those are the proportions...

(Nice color and ribbon, too!)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let me see what I can show you. Unfortunately the one in my Avatar is a
7-1/8.

jimmy2x

New in Town
How about a trade

Visigoth, I like the blue borsalino. I 've got a vintage 40-50's Scott & Co. fedora, inside leather band says "Scotts By Appointment to her Majesty the Queen Hat Makers, Old Bond St. London W.I., Piccadilly, W." It is chocolate brown, size 7 1/4, and in excellent condition with exception to the liner still being attached (also in great condition). There are a couple things to mention, on inside leather band there is a mark where a label or sticker has been removed and also a small amount of stitching has broken loose on the inside leather band.

I am new to the Fedora Lounge, I can send pics, but may need "Send Pics for Dummies" assistance.

Thanx, Jimmy2X

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Hey Jimmy,

Well, I don't think I'm precisely an idiot, but I almost never get photos to load properly here. Something weird about the software.

I'm getting pretty close to finalizing a trade, actually, but I'd like to know about your Scott: how tall is the crown, and how wide the brim? Is the brim bound?

(I have a lot of dark brown hats, so might not be great for me.)

jimmy2x

New in Town
visigoth i believe the crown hight is 4 3/4 & the brim width 2" wether or not its bound i don't know, but i'm sure i'll learn from some of the guys here. jimmy2x

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Oh, just asking whether there's ribbon sewn around the circumference of the brim. (Usually matches the main ribbon.)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Sold, yes

Sorry... these are long gone. (For some reason I wasn't subscribed to this thread...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart