Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20 years is not a sentence its a marriage.

59Lark

Practically Family
today my wife and i celebrated twenty years, i bought her a new coat, for 44 dollars and she had put it back because i whined about having enough to her out to supper, and then when she was busy i went back and bought it for her. i at least knew what she wanted and what would fit her, love is , she didnt hit me, or stay mad. one of her favourite movies is yours mine and ours, with henry fonda and lucy ball. there is a scene where henry character is taking lucy to the hospital to have a baby and he explains love is going to the shoemaker, and ground round and all the little things not the love in. hope that havent butchered it too much, love is all that stuff that isnt perfect or blonde or barbie like. now i know twenty is much ,compared to some of these folks with sixty years etc but for me and my wife in this modern age, we feel it a milestone today. so much tempation and so many wrong ways to go. we went out to a fancy little french style restraunt and it cost three times what we normally at the most would spend but it was nice and it will be another year before we go there again. probably,enjoy your loved ones while you can, life is short. happy thanksgivin, here in canada this weekend. 59lark:eek:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Congratulations and well done. :eusa_clap You're right that 20 years is not much in comparison to those stellar golden and diamond couples, but considering the times we live in, it's quite something. (I say, having reached my own 20th earlier this year, and living in a state that claims perhaps the highest divorce rate:( .)
Sounds like you both still know how to show what you mean to each other. Here's a glass of wine raised to many more happy years.

Foofoogal

Banned
How did you get a wife that is happy with a $44 coat?
:eusa_clap lol

Congratulations. 20 years is a milestone.
We married in 1975 and it has flown by.

This last year has really brought home the reality of what marriage and companionship means.
As we have moved and knew no one it is " us. "
I laughed recently when someone stated to me that their daughter went back to their spouse but wasn't happy. They have 4 children.
Now I understand about some need to get a divorce but happy every day in a marriage is pure fantasy.
Dirty dishes, crying kids, bills, it is all part of it no matter if you marry 1000 times.
So 59Lark. It is something. Congratulations. :eusa_clap

your post reminded me of one of my fav stories.
The Gift of the Magi.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7256

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
We married in 1975 and it has flown by.
Hey, me too!! And yes, it's about dirty dishes and crying kids and blancing everything between home and work and etc etc, sometimes putting your spouse last, sometimes being put last by the spouse, but heck, we're stronger for weathering the storms ;)

So, congratulations to everyone who does what it takes to keep it going. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Congratulations 59Lark! That's wonderful.

Sadly, it brings to mind my own parents.
For birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays my Dad really tended to get Mom practical stuff. Now don't get me wrong, Mom was a practical girl and she liked getting waffle irons and pants, plus Dad always brought home daisies for her (her favorite). But after Dad found out Mom was terminally ill, his gift giving changed. All of a sudden it was all fine jewelry all the time.
Looking back it just seems sad. Once Dad knew he was going to lose her, he was desperate to show her how much he loved her. I don't know, it just seems sad. I wonder if he knew how things would end if he would have bought her those diamond earrings 20 years ago when she would have had a chance to wear them?

Every day is a gift. Just remember to show those you love how much you love them, whether it's by a word, a note in the lunchbox, a flower from the garden or diamond earrings. You never know when you won't get another chance.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Congratulations 59Lark.:eusa_clap

Joie DeVive said:
Every day is a gift. Just remember to show those you love how much you love them, whether it's by a word, a note in the lunchbox, a flower from the garden or diamond earrings. You never know when you won't get another chance.
Thanks.:)
It's easy to forget this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner