Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

200 Years Of Newspapers

Cricket

Practically Family
Being in the newspaper business, I am very excited about this. I would spend hours browsing old papers. This could get addictive!

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
It's a great idea, but I wonder if there might be some conflict with newspaperarchive.com -- a site that offers old newspapers in PDF format, but charges a subscription fee. If the Google scans are of comparable quality, NA will be NG.

I've been considering a subscription, but if Google gets to my local papers within a year or so, it's not worth it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hopefully someone at Google has read Nicholson Baker's book The Double Fold, which is all about the corporate-driven mass trashing of newspapers in favor of microforms...which long ago effectively reduced the non-mediated past to one edition per paper per day.

2845313801_2354fbcc84.jpg

No extra! No extra! Don't read all about it!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love Google. With Google Books, Patents, and now Newspapers, they're helping to make good on the promise of the web being an information super highway, not just an infinite volume of fragmented information.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And Google proposes to allow access to this vast storehouse of old news for free????

I can see and hear my late grandfather - small-town newspaperman, moralist, and skinflint - shaking his bald half-hornrim-spectacled head vigorously from side to side and muttering with increasing vehemence: "They've got to pay!...Dammit, they've GOT to PAY!!"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I guess it depends upon who owns the rights to those old papers. Most of my searches now yield old NY Times articles that will run me about $4 each.

Fletch said:
And Google proposes to allow access to this vast storehouse of old news for free????

I can see and hear my late grandfather - small-town newspaperman, moralist, and skinflint - shaking his bald half-hornrim-spectacled head vigorously from side to side and muttering with increasing vehemence: "They've got to pay!...Dammit, they've GOT to PAY!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou