Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 Remembrance day coming up! Lest we forget!

James007

Familiar Face
found this thought it was appropriate! A Soldier's Prayer...
The soldier stood and faced his God Which must always come to pass...
He hoped his shoes were shining Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you soldier, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?"
The soldier squared his shoulders and Said,"No, Lord, I guess I ain't...
Because those of us who carry guns Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent, Because the streets are awfully tough.
But, I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place Among the people here...
They never wanted me around Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was a silence all around the throne Where the saints had often trod...
As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now you soldier,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."
Dedicated To All That Serve... God Bless America!and its allies!

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
A beautiful sentiment. Here in Canada, soldiers are honoured for being the heroes they are. In Toronto, highway 401, the busiest highway in Canada, has had a large section renamed "The Highway of Heroes" in honour of our fallen soldiers. Every time a fallen soldier returns to the area, a motorcade transports their body down the highway while thousands of people line the route and salute them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Having grown up near Canada, with access to Canadian TV, I am familiar with the Remembrance Day observance in that country. I have always said that I find their whole approach infinitely more sensitive and genuine than ours. Here in the states we tend to use every patriotic day as an opportunity for sabre rattling. In Canada it's a simple and beautiful day of sincere remembrance, and grieving for lost loved ones.
As a veteran, I appreciate the idea behind changing Nov 11th (which was still Armistice Day when I was a kid) to a day honoring all veterans. But I still really admire the Canadians' approach.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I can only agree with you dhermann!

untitled-2.jpg

Let us never forget.

James007

Familiar Face
Remembrance Day Means a whole lot to me and my Family! I had 14 family member serve in the Great war, and 10 who served in the second world war,one who served in the Koren war, and one who served with the US navy in Vietnam!

Here is a song that was written after i left the service for our boys in Afghanistan, and it chokes me up every time i hear Julian sing it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCgXPbeX7I&feature=related

Carnage

One of the Regulars
My service dress is ready for the 14th, need to find my gloves though, and I will pop down to our local war memorial on the 11th to pay my respects.

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just ordered a couple of poppy pins from British Legion, and while doing it, I wonderend why we do not have the same thing here in Denmark.
Allthough Denmark did not participate in WWI - lots of danes from the south of jutland (at that time part of Germany) were drafted into the german army. WWII was primarily fought as a underground war - but still. The veterans from that war - including my own father - deserves are gratitude.
And now we have veterans from both Iraq and Afghanistan who comes home with wounds or both mind and body.
They also deserve our help and gratitude.
I think a Rememberance Day in Denmark is needed.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flowers of the Forest is a traditional Scottish piece played on the BagPipes which we play when we bring our fallen home or remember those 'who gave' the ultimate sacrifice so that 'we' can enjoy our freedom. This never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
"Faugh A Ballagh"

[video=youtube;rfsasAlICo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsasAlICo8[/video]

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
It is now 92 yrs ago that the War to end all Wars was over .
The men and women of that time now belong to the ages.
As a boy I remember looking in awe at the WW1 vets as they stood silently in front of our hometown Cenotaph.
One of these men I remember very well. He was a quiet unassuming man that joined the up at 17 and went oversees serving in the Canadian Field Artillery.
He came out of that war a 21 yr old veteran who had been gassed 3 times , wounded a couple more and a witness to friends and foe alike being killed or maimed. On his forearm was a tattoo of two hands shaking hands. I was told that he and his buddies had all got the same one so as to remember their comradeship after the war ended. Thats about all you could get out of him about what he went thru, choosing instead to keep ithe horror of war inside him as many vets do.
He came home raised a family , worked hard , then tried to enlist again when WW2 started but by then he was a tool and die maker and was needed on the homefront. He did his best and by all accounts led and admirable and unassuming life.
On his dying bed as his lungs started failing and he was coughing, he looked at his son and said " I can still taste the GAS ".
It was then that we realized that the war had never left him his whole life and he had carried it with him.
That man was my grandfather. a man that I loved admired and looked upon as my Hero. No war is worth having..... that would do this to my Granddad !
Every year I join thousands of others in honoring these veterans but my Granddad I honor just a little bit more. At my bank years ago, I arranged for my account number to be his military serial number so that everytime I make a transaction I think of him and what he went thru for his country and for me.
I thank him and I thank all the others like him that gave me the life I live and I thank the service men and women that are currently serving to preserve that life yet again.
May they all come home safe.

fleet16b
A grateful grandson

Last edited:

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I have recently moved to a small town and I was pleased to note that there is quite a prominent war memorial on the High Street. And indeed the town has two parades, one on the 11th at 11am and one on Sunday the 14th at 1330.

I am a tad nervous though as I have been asked to be the parade commander for the 11th (assisted by a Lt Cmdr RN) as I will not be able to make the one on the Sunday....

HOP UP

Vendor
They marched into battle full of song.
Straight of limb, true of eye.
They were young.

They shall not grow old as we grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the Sun, and in the Morning,
We will remember them.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Lest we forget

Remembrance Day, 2010.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I always found this quote by Ataturk (about ANZAC forces that fought & died at Gallipoli) particularly moving

"Heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives, you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
We laughed at him, we leagued with him, old chum.
No soldier's paid to kick against his powers.
We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
He wars on Death - for lives; not men - for flags.

Wilfred Owen

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Having grown up near Canada, with access to Canadian TV, I am familiar with the Remembrance Day observance in that country. I have always said that I find their whole approach infinitely more sensitive and genuine than ours. Here in the states we tend to use every patriotic day as an opportunity for sabre rattling. In Canada it's a simple and beautiful day of sincere remembrance, and grieving for lost loved ones.
As a veteran, I appreciate the idea behind changing Nov 11th (which was still Armistice Day when I was a kid) to a day honoring all veterans. But I still really admire the Canadians' approach.

Remembrance Day (in Australia) is a day of reflection and mourning, it has very little to do with patriotism. We remember the fallen. In 1915 Australia had a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of which over 60,000 were killed and 156,000 were wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. An entire generation lost, all for Empire, all those deaths, lest we forget.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21