Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2015 Stetson Excellent Quality GREEN THIN RIBBON (Preview & Review)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Super informative review! Regarding binding seam alignment vintage German and Austrian hats (stiff and soft) are always (maybe a rare exception) aligned with the sweatband seam. I think overall better quality control.

Thanks, Steve!

After seeing all the wonderful vintage Austrian/German hats that you have posted through the years, I would absolutely have to agree that on the whole, mass production quality in Austria/Germany was superior than the mass production quality in the USA overall. The vintage Austrian/German hats that I have owned in the past have truly been almost flawless pieces.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hmm . . . $350 is a bit high for an impulse purchase, but then custom hats run in that range.

This one in the green (which I do like) would make a fascinating OR w/ cattleman crease and dipped brim. Very unusual.

... I originally thought it was very interesting that the "Excellent" name was used for the reasons that you stated, Alan. Then I realized that Stetson in American never used that 40's/50's Style Excellent logo. It was Stetson of Germany that used it. I wonder if the "Excellent" designation in Europe meant a much higher grade than in the USA?

Great reference, and thought. Unlike "standard", "no.1", "1X" (XXXXs - let's not even go there!) which have become somewhat archaic, Excellent retains good street cred today for high quality. A good choice, though I wonder how much historical stuff was gone through to "select" it.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Thank you so much everyone for the extremely kind words about my review of this hat. I especially appreciate all of you vouching for my character and integrity. There were a couple faults with this hat that I noticed, but I basically mentioned everything in my review. No hat is perfect....even the custom ones...because these items are all hand made and every handmade item varies from piece to piece. However, it is the absolute BEST modern hat (non longhair/velour) I have handled and had the pleasure to wear. As I stated in my review, this new offering from Stetson is every bit as good as the stuff they were producing in the 40's/50's. Trim materials have changed through the years, so you might not be getting ribbon that is made up of cotton and natural rayon. You might not get those super thin stetson sweatbands of the 40's or the almost blind stitches on the ribbon work.......BUT you are getting a piece of felt that can stand up to (and in some ways beat) the vintage 40's/50's hats with no problem. You are getting a hat made on the SAME machines that made those wonderful Golden Age Stetsons that we all know and love. You are getting a hat that uses high quality materials, was built with care, had a TON of research behind it and is made in the USA by American workers. As Tom mentioned.....I also hope that the regular retail production quality keeps the same high quality standards that my hat has. I truly believe that will not be an issue. If Matt and Hatco has spent this much time and effort into making a vintage quality hat, I would have to believe that the same care and craftsmanship will go into every single hat given the Excellent Quality designation.

Hello!

Happy New year.

New to this lounge,

The only bad thing about your review is that, in me, it caused an extreme desire to get my hands on a 59-60 size TODAY !!!

Other than that Thanks a Lot for it !!

I just checked Stetson's web page and was unable to find the hat.

Sincerely

Rodolfo

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Hmm . . . $350 is a bit high for an impulse purchase, but then custom hats run in that range.

This one in the green (which I do like) would make a fascinating OR w/ cattleman crease and dipped brim. Very unusual.

Here you go, Paul...

I'm at work right now and decided to show the versatility of this felt. I steamed and set my crease with water, so it was a little harder to pop out that just a dry crease, but even so, the felt took a new crease just fine and the brim curled up just fine as well....

PS...THESE ARE CRUMBY CAMERA PHONE PICS

A Cattleman crease with dipped brim....

And then popped right back into my original crease and brim position......

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Mr. DelMonico was able to handle the Excellent Felt at the trade show in New York this past fall. He said it was the best felt that he has seen from Stetson. We will be selling the hat in the $350.00 range maybe a little higher or lower.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Happy New Year.

I am new to this forum, will you be selling this hat? If si would you be so kind to let me know when you have it available?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely.

Rodolfo

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Very interesting. Since Hatco has their own body plant, it would be easier for them to create and produce a better body. Time will tell. I just hope the price isn't too steep. The general hat wearing public starts to fade away when prices hit a certain point.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great reference, and thought. Unlike "standard", "no.1", "1X" (XXXXs - let's not even go there!) which have become somewhat archaic, Excellent retains good street cred today for high quality. A good choice, though I wonder how much historical stuff was gone through to "select" it.

Thanks, Alan. :yo:

"Select" it......I see what you did there. :) I like it!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Here you go, Paul...

I'm at work right now and decided to show the versatility of this felt. I steamed and set my crease with water, so it was a little harder to pop out that just a dry crease, but even so, the felt took a new crease just fine and the brim curled up just fine as well....

PS...THESE ARE CRUMBY CAMERA PHONE PICS

A Cattleman crease with dipped brim....

And then popped right back into my original crease and brim position......

Thanks, Josh! Your original brim position is what I had in mind when I wrote "dipped" -- I couldn't think of the correct FL term for the standard fedora down-curved brim, and still can't. But the OR look is good. It reminds me of the artwork we see in the threads featuring scans of 1940s-1950s hat catalogs.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm hoping for a wider ribbon--funny how we keep moving that bar, right?

LOL. Well I think in time if this hat sells well, there will be more options for other styles. The most important part of this hat is its felt, so in theory, a wider ribbon would only cost an extra 10-15 bucks at a hat shop....or some talented people here on the lounge. :)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
This is what you are looking for, right???

That would make a nice stingy brim with a just a few feet taken off the brim.

But back to the Stetson, I am anxious for this to hit the stores so we can see the choices that are going to be offered as far as color of the felt. I assume there will be more than just the green one right?

fedoralover

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
It would be nice if the linings were sewn into the hat as they were back in the 1940's!!!
Or maybe a Stetson Selve(Cav) edge hat too....

DesertDan

One Too Many
Oh my goodness!
I love everything about that hat! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for these.
Thank you for the great review Josh (you lucky devil)! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana