Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$2bill?

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
If by "more" you mean once versus never, then yes. Someone paid with a $2 bill the other day at the bookstore where I work.

I'm reminded of the concessions stands at my college's football games. For whatever reason, they always gave change back in half dollars. It's the only place I've ever seen one circulate.

Unlike the half dollar, though, the article indicates that demand is actually increasing for the $2 bill. It makes me hope that usage of the $1 coin is also on the rise, but somehow I doubt it.

farnham54

A-List Customer
As someone who has a LOT of coins in their currency system, I feel I can comment on this.

I HATE coins. They wear out your pants, they are heavy, they make noise--the only thing thats good about them is they last longer and are harder to counterfit (The only reason they are considered 'hard' to coutnerfit is because the denominations are so small we've yet to see it happening often--they are in fact easier to counterfit then bills!)

Bills in a nice silver fold for me, please!

Cheers
Craig

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive always had a $2 bill on my person. When I was a kid, by brother and I had an uncle who would give them to us for Christmas. I thought, "Wow, this old man is cool," no , just cheap.

I wanna see that craze in the mid 80s come back when Santa was on the dollar! Take that, Washington! lol

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I have a bunch of $2 bills that my daddy gave me as a kid. For what ever reason I have it in my head that they are "special" and I've never wanted to spend them. My nieces (who are 13 and 6) thought they were so cool as they'd never seen them before.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I always get them when I go to the bank and SPEND them. That's what they're made for. It's sort of fun to see a cashier try to find a spot for them in their cash registers. I like to leave them for tips, too. They're never going to be worth anymore than two bucks so why save them? I also like to spend those gold Sacajawea dollar coins. I always have several on me (in my bag). I'll use them for bus fare. I'm glad they got rid of the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin. Bus fare here is $1.10. One time the driver thought I only put in 35 cents.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still have a few of the pre-1976 $2 bills, the ones with the red seal and the picture of Monticello on the back -- childhood gifts from my grandfather, who was an unfortunate habitue of the $2 window at the harness-racing track.

We had someone offer a $2 bill at the concession stand at the theatre recently, and the popcorn gal had never seen one -- I had to explain that it wasn't some kind of joke/novelty bill. (Fortunately it wasn't one of the ones with Santa Claus on it...)

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
I got 'em

My wife started collecting them as soon as they came out. I'm not sure why, I guess she thought they were going to be collectors items. I have a drawer full but haven't seen them anywhere else.
Blame my wife.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen any since I was a kid. Somewhere I had heard the myth that they were taken out of circulation and, since I hadn't seen any, assumed that it was true. After seeing the article I looked it up in Wikipedia, trying to see where the rumor came from, and found the link to this story. (I did find hints to where the rumor came from, too.)

It makes me want to see if my bank has any $2 bills, just to see what happens when I try to use them.

-Jake

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A youngster paid his library fines and book sale purchases with $2 bills, Kennedy half-dollars and some Sacagaweas (I love Pomp :)) the other day. He informed me he likes to keep them in circulation. Years ago when our co-pay at the HMO was $2 my dad presented a $2 bill and the cashier informed us she was from Puerto Rico and superstitious of them and was loathe to handle it. My dad apologized but it was all he had.

Novella

Practically Family
farnham54 said:
I HATE coins. They wear out your pants, they are heavy, they make noise--

I've recently discovered I'm not a big fan of coins either. I've been in England for over a month and I'm finally use to using the different coins, but I'm sick of the one pound coins. I miss dollar bills!

Years ago in junior high I made a film with friends about the Declaration of Independence. I got out the $2 bill to use the reverse with the signing of the Declaration of Independence as a picture with a voice over. My friends thought it was fake currency! haha

I've seen them more in the past year, if only because a coffee shop I really like opened up near where I lived and they'd give out $2 bills for change.

Twitch

On a side note, are we ever going to get rid of pennies? They've talked about rounding up or down on retail purchase totals for a long time but.....?[huh]

BegintheBeguine

Then how could anyone sing Pennies from Heaven? And what would people have to reference when I tell them I'm the one with the copper-colored hair? And how would I know someone who has died is thinking of me if there are no more pennies to be found on the ground? Oh, and they would round up.

Snookie

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Years ago when our co-pay at the HMO was $2 my dad presented a $2 bill and the cashier informed us she was from Puerto Rico and superstitious of them and was loathe to handle it. My dad apologized but it was all he had.

Once when I was growing up we took a trip to a nature preserve and there was a donation box with a bunch of $2 bills in it, and my dad said it was because people think they're bad luck and want to get rid of them. I haven't heard about the superstition since, but that's probably because most people don't know about them.

Did $2 bills used to be more prevalent than today? When did they lose popularity?

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
the $2 bill went out of circulation a decade or 2 back but in the late 90's or early 2000's they came back into circulation and people used to save them in fear that they would go out of circulation and become collector items. obviously this was not the case as i keep seeing them pop up at work. those cursed silver dollars too. lucky for me there's an extra spot in the tills (for extra change i guess.) that i use to put any odd denominations i get in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24