Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s/40s shirt ??

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
There's no end of info on here about what goes with what suit etc etc but can I ask what was typically worn by an ordinary Joe in the 30s/40s ? - say a guy who was usually to be found in a half belt leather jkt and 'bakerboy' cap ? Of course there's no definitive answer to my question but can anyone suggest a suitable ensemble ?
I have a halfbelt and am ordering a cap from the Classic Cap Co.
They have a a model with a 12 inch wide full crown in Donegal Tweed called the "Baker Boys 12 Big 'Un:
http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/baker_boy.html

So, .......... I need ideas for trousers, shoes, (or boots) and whatever kind of shirt ( and tie ??? ) was typically worn by this 'type' ( lets call him halfbeltbakerboy lol )

Thanks folks, I look forward to your ideas

Colin

Speedster

Practically Family
Colin, for boots you could have a look in this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4458

And for the rest of the gear try Old Town/Tin House: http://www.old-town.co.uk/

You live in the UK so you are one of the lucky ones that they will sell to. They don't sell outside the UK.

By the way i have just posted a photo of my Classic Cap Company Baker Boy 10.5 inch wide over in the Hat section.

But :eek:fftopic: in this section here is the photo for easy reference:

This is the Classic Caps Company "Baker Boys 10.5 Donegal":

119_1978.jpg

Outdoorsy...

If you are not pairing it with dress shirts, then I'd say a pilot shirt or safari shirt (like from Cabela's) or a traditional work shirt, flannal or wool outdoors type for cooler weather.

Pants you could go with chinos for warmer weather or "non blue jean" jeans in brown, tan, stone or even black. Cabela's Roughneck canvas jeans come in these color and I think would go well with a leather jacket. (Oak, Cement and Tar are their color names).

Here is the link to Cabela's:
http://www.cabelas.com/

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
MANY THANKS

Thanks guys for all your replys and links - much appreciated !! Speedster, I have ordered a 'Big Un' from the classic cap Co. and again, thanks a lot for that link as I'd never heard of them before. This site is really a minefield of information ! you just never know what's gonna 'blow up' next !!

I will post some pics as soon as I have assembled all the items required for the 'look'

Thanks again to you all

Colin

Salv

One Too Many
Colin - if you get down to London any time soon there are a few branches of a Japanese clothes shop called Uniqlo that have some good, timeless, cotton twill utility shirts in the sale for £9.99. Uniqlo is a bit like Gap and sells decent quality basics, and occasionally gets some good work wear. I've just bought one of the twill shirts in dark blue, and I also have one of their old denim shirts. The website is rubbish, and only shows a very limited amount of clothes, but it at least tells you where the shops are.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Thanks Salv
I've added them to my 'shops to check out' list for the next time I venture South to the big city. In all my trips to London over the the years I'd never bothered visiting Covent Garden - until June of last year that is, I'd seen a number of shops there mentioned by you on the lounge. What a lively area ! I could have spent hundreds !! ( if I'd had them to spare :( )

Thanks
Colin

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Joe Lunchbucket pre WW2 might have just as easily worn a plain dress shirt, and often a tie if there was no risk of snagging it in a drill press or something.

Post WW2, more likely a rayon gab with double pockets and no tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner