40's suit accessories question

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Mustang Mike's Hats, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

I'm going to be attending a 40's dance in a week or so, and while I'm quite comfortable with my suit and fedora, it's the shoes and tie where I'm a bit stuck. I need some direction on a shoe style that will work AND an answer as to whether a knit tie would have been appropriate for the era. I'll take links to sites or stores where I can find the shoes.

Thanks gang!

2. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

To accentuate the 1940's look, myself and many others will likely recommend the more recognizable art deco wide tie. I am not sure knit ties were high fashion in the 1940's, but there are plenty of examples of people wearing them. From an anecdotal perspective, I have seen numerous knit ties dating from the 1930's-40's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As for a lead on shoes, I am still trying to figure out how to get some myself. I do not see why traditional Oxfords would not do justice, they're timeless. Gunboats also emerged around this time, so you could try those as well.

Mustang Mike's Hats and Wesslyn like this.
  3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Two tone spectator shoes were very popular in the 1940's. You can buy them in your neck of the woods from C&E Fashions, of LA. Hope that helps and I hope we get to see some photos.

You haven't mentioned what sort of shirt you want to wear, the spearpoint was much the choice of the day.
    As seen here.

Mustang Mike's Hats likes this.
  4. Wesslyn

Wesslyn Practically Family

Good ol Florsheim wingtips are my go to for vintage 40s looks.
    Knit ties are appropriate but I agree the wide swing ties are definitely a good way to accentuate the 40s vibe

5. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Thanks for the tips guys!

Found the shoes. I'm going with a pair of Stacy Adams Daytons. Figure I can't go wrong with basis b/w.

stacy_adams_Dayton.jpg

On my way home, I'm going to hit our local "Retro Row" on 4th Street, in Long Beach, CA and see how close I can get to find a knit tie to match the suit.

6. carlm21

carlm21 New in Town

i think you would love to try what JCPenney Coupons 2018 are offering, they have amazing clothing variety and
    trust me their quality is unquestionable. And with these coupons you will be able to get amazing discounts on
    different attires.