Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

45ACP Revolvers

Rathdown

Practically Family
Couldn't agree more! What I find amazing is that for the cost of a S&W "Classic" Model 22 in .44 Special, and a new Threepersons holster and belt from El Paso Saddlery you could have a "real" Model 22 and a "real" Threepersons rig and have enough left over for a box of ammo and lunch at Mickey Ds.

Of course, your "old" gun wouldn't have a safety lock...

Burton

One of the Regulars
I have no experience with the Colt or Smith but do have a very nice Webley MK IV of Boer War vintage that was brought back from Africa. Unfortunately my friend had it cut to shoot .45ACP prior to giving it to me as a gift. I was surprised how accurate it shot and I agree with previous posters that have stated the half moon clips are flimsy and bend easily. Last year while shooting it suffered some kind of mechanical problem that gave me the incentive to have it completely restored back to the original .455 with a new finish. I havent shot it yet as I've been out of the country for some time but will soon be home and am looking forward to shooting it.

Naphtali

Practically Family
A question going out to all the Loungers. I know that both Colt as well as Smith & Wessen had produced Moon Clip revolvers for use with 45 ACP cartridges for World War One. (Not sure if one or both are called the M1917?)

Anyway, I also recall that many were said to be great shooters and that they were sought after by the bowling pin shooters long ago. I find the concept intriguing. (Isn't it the revolver Indy tosses into his bag while packing and talking to Brody?)

My questions are:
How are they to shoot?
Preference Colt or S&W?
Any other info on later editions?
(I think S&W did a recent re-release of the M1917?)

Thanks!
Regarding ONLY original New Service and New Century revolvers as shooting machines, please keep in mind:

- The "control" or baseline via which the War Department chose the M1911 pistol was the M1909 Colt - that incorporated all mechanical improvements of subsequent commercial (and M1917) New Service revolvers;

- During endurance firing of 5000 rounds the only firearms of the War Department's test that fired 5000 rounds with no failures were the M1911 and - yup! - the M1909.

- When the War Department selected the New Service as basis for the M1909, Smith & Wesson's New Century revolver had been in general production for several years. I, for one, do not believe the Colt New Service was selected out of habit.

Hope this helps.

Levallois

Practically Family
In the 45acp I prefer the Smith over the Colt but as Deacon said I think it is personal preference. As an alternative, I would rather have a S&W HD in 44 special over either of them. I have a second model right now and I would love to have a Triple Lock.

Renault

One Too Many
A Colt 1917 "New Service" was the first handgun I ever owned. Paying a whopping $45 for it in 1972. But even today I find the 1909 and 1917 Colts a bit on the larger side (handle-wise) for my taste. They just feel uncomfortable. On the other hand the Smith 1917's fit perfectly.... I passed up on a 1909 last year........

Renault

Rathdown

Practically Family
A question going out to all the Loungers. I know that both Colt as well as Smith & Wessen had produced Moon Clip revolvers for use with 45 ACP cartridges for World War One. (Not sure if one or both are called the M1917?)

Anyway, I also recall that many were said to be great shooters and that they were sought after by the bowling pin shooters long ago. I find the concept intriguing. (Isn't it the revolver Indy tosses into his bag while packing and talking to Brody?)

My questions are:
How are they to shoot?
Preference Colt or S&W?
Any other info on later editions?
(I think S&W did a recent re-release of the M1917?)

Thanks!
Starting at the top of your list of questions, both revolvers are pleasant to shoot with factory loaded ammunition, have slightly less perceivable recoil than the 1911 .45 semi-automatic, and both have excellent 50 yard accuracy provided the bore is in good condition.

Those who do a lot of shooting tend to prefer the Smith & Wesson over the Colt. The primary reason given for this preference is that gunsmiths find it easier to work on the S&W, and there are more gunsmiths who are familiar with the internal workings of S&W revolvers than those who are knowledgeable when it come to repairing a Colt. Parts availability is also a factor in favour of the Smiths.

Balance is another consideration when buying a revolver and, generally speaking, a narrow majority of shooters prefer the Smith. Perception of balance is largely a matter of weight and how the gun fits the hand. Since both revolvers weigh virtually the same it comes down to the angle and shape of the grip. If you have large hands the "saw handle" on the Colt will probably be a better fit. Almost all Model 1917 shooters use a grip adapter which fits between the trigger guard and the front strap of the grip, which suggests that neither revolver has a perfect grip. From actual experience, without the grip adapter, I generally prefer the S&W; with an adapter I find that either gun balances well in my hand.

The Colt "New Service" revolver-- which was the basis of the Model 1917 Colt service revolver-- was manufactured in a variety of calibers from 1898 until 1944. Post WWII Colt did not offer a large caliber double action revolver, confining it's production to .22s, .32s., .38s, and .357 Magnum revolvers.

The Smith & Wesson first model hand ejector revolver was introduced to the market in 1908; in 1914/15 a simplified version of the pistol was developed, replacing the earlier "first model"; it was this revolver (produced until 1937) that was the basis for the S&W Model 1917 service revolver. Interestingly, despite newer models of hand ejectors being introduced, S&W kept the US Service Model of 1917 in production until 1949!

Recently S&W produced a number of "Heritage" replicas of the M1917 service revolver and the third model hand ejector that was made between 1926 and 1949. Faithful to the original, the Heritage 1917 came with a 5 1/2-inch barrel; the Heritage Third Model had a 4-inch barrel and a barrel shroud to protect the exposed ejector rod. These guns were built on S&Ws legendary N-Frame, and were available in a variety of finishes, including nickle.

S&W also offered shooters a .38 caliber revolver on the large N-Frame, known as the .38/44 Heavy Duty. The precursor to the legendary .357 Magnum the "Heavy Duty" was available from 1930 thru 1966; approximately 20,000 were manufactured post war and good "shooters" can usually be found in the $500-$600 price range.

If you see yourself as more Sam Spade than Indiana Jones, then you really want a S&W Model 10, virtually unchanged from from the 1905 .38 Hand Ejector. With more than two million produced (it's still in production) it is the quintessential 30s and 40s film noir revolver, right along with the Colt Police Positive. A nice example of either shouldn't set you back much more than $400.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Maybe, just maybe I'll be posting a new acquisition here in a day or two!!!!!!!! Something walked in the shop Saturday!!!! And I found it this morning!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited!!!!!!!

Renault

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Maybe, just maybe I'll be posting a new acquisition here in a day or two!!!!!!!! Something walked in the shop Saturday!!!! And I found it this morning!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited!!!!!!!

Renault

Good luck. I know what you mean. I have been looking for a Smith Model 12 snub nose for years. I found one the other day. It has a nickle finish and I had to make it mine.

Regards

Kirk H.

Renault

One Too Many
Well, it followed me home tonite!!!!! (The revolver, NOT the Kaywoodie!) It wanted to live here with me!! Be my constant and faithful companion on future expeditions and safaris!!!!! Honestly,,,,,, how could I say no?

100_2743.jpg

One of the new Heritage edition Smith & Wesson Model 22's!!!!! Only thing I've really had the "wants" for lately!

Renault

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Well, it followed me home tonite!!!!! (The revolver, NOT the Kaywoodie!) It wanted to live here with me!! Be my constant and faithful companion on future expeditions and safaris!!!!! Honestly,,,,,, how could I say no?

100_2743.jpg

One of the new Heritage edition Smith & Wesson Model 22's!!!!! Only thing I've really had the "wants" for lately!

Renault

That is beautiful Renault. I understand how you feel...I mean how could you say no. Great find and may you have many happy range sessions with it.

Kirk H.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

New in Town
Good luck. I know what you mean. I have been looking for a Smith Model 12 snub nose for years. I found one the other day. It has a nickle finish and I had to make it mine.

Regards

Kirk H.
I had one of those in blue years ago, and carried it regularly. Why I sold it, when, and to whom is lost in the mists of time, and I'm still kicking myself in the . . . .

Actually, I don't even remember selling it, but I haven't seen it for at least 20 years so I must have. Old age has it's downside.

But then again, . . . maybe I'll run across it one of these days. Or maybe I'll find another one.

JP

Story

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I had one of those in blue years ago, and carried it regularly. Why I sold it, when, and to whom is lost in the mists of time, and I'm still kicking myself in the . . . .

Actually, I don't even remember selling it, but I haven't seen it for at least 20 years so I must have. Old age has it's downside.

But then again, . . . maybe I'll run across it one of these days. Or maybe I'll find another one.

JP

I love the K-frame snubbys. I had been looking for either a blue or nickle one for at least 15 years. It seems that others realize how great these six shot snubbies are to cary and shoot.

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21