5 Star Californian/Campus Halfbelt red russet goat!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ton312, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Monitor

Monitor

Really fantastic work on this jacket but I just gotta say, that black jacket totally surprised me as I was scrolling down the thread, how freaking nice it is. That's a top work and those guys really nailed what makes these vtg jackets what they are.

ton312 likes this.
  2. jeo

jeo A-List Customer

It was a great choice! definitely more interesting than what you usually see.

I remember you made a comment one time about my rainbow country jacket cuffs looking like gauntlets...well you got an ancient warrior gauntlet thing going on there man, so cool!

Claybertrand and ton312 like this.
  3. ton312

ton312

I can assure you that shinki is a much nicer leather! But I’ve wanted this model for ages. Opportunities did arise but I couldn’t get the timing right. For me this 5 star scratches the itch. Certainly this isn’t a GW BUT....if I could get Shawn the materials I have absolutely no doubt he would produce one that would be indistinguishable.

Claybertrand likes this.
  4. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

I wondered about if someone has contacted Horween or someone else to try to source some A Grade Horse or Steer to try to get to Shawn. I know some may have concern about the durability over time of the stitching etc. but assuming it is all as sound as it appears, the only major upgrade would be to source your own HH or Steer for them to use. That seems like the one thing that would instantly kick up the quality multiple levels.

How many square feet of hide does a typical jacket require??? Say, a jacket in Ton's size for example?? Does anyone know?? Maybe we can ask Shawn??? This may be helpful if someone wanted to source their own hides. A whole new level of customization.

ton312 likes this.
  5. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

That would be a game changer for me. As it is I'm impressed. You next jacket will tell more of a story. When do you anticipate it?

6. ton312

ton312

Haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m not sure what I want to do in terms of the hide. That one really ramps up the degree of difficulty but I feel it’s equally important to have the right hide. I wish Shawn still had his HH. Then the decision would be made!

Zoo and Claybertrand like this.
  7. tmitchell59

Quality leather is expensive. This would be worth it to me if they can accurately reproduce what I want. I know no other maker who would attempt to do what they are doing. I could send them the jackets I wanted made.

I may contact them about such a project.

ton312, Zoo and Claybertrand like this.
  8. tmitchell59

Yes, the proper hide will be important. This jacket will be a bit more complicated. It will tell a story for sure.

ton312 likes this.
  9. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

You said it Terry. I started browsing hides in earnest and they are pricey. I wonder if we all could go in on a Bulk Purchase..... like, we could buy a mini HERD of hides and get a better price.;)

The world leather market is a whole 'nother new thing to navigate. Hard to do it accurately from behind a desk and thru a computer screen.

I know you have truly grail items that you have kept even when they don't fit you. You could have those remade to size. Its a game changer for that aspect of design---when you actually have the jackets in your collection and you want a custom take off from one of those. Look what Ton is doing with drawings and instructions and going off of photos for details. You would have less uncertainty having actual jackets in hand. If you wanted to do a full custom with mixed elements from your favorite jackets that baby would be LOADED!!!!!!

Honestly, you should try to buy half of 5* then have all of your jackets made!!!!!!!! That would be a hell of a line up. I hope you do throw your hat into the 5* ring Terry at least to try them out on a custom remake. Seems like it'd be right up your alley and give you some new adventures in this great hobby.

10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

That’s the only caveat- if I were to really design a jacket, I’d want to be able to profit from the sales too. I know most makers claim customers designs as their own, but there should be some kind of commission/ split.

jeo, red devil and Claybertrand like this.
  11. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

There is a large swatch collection of hides and shearling, wools and more floating around another thread . That should definitely help you decide. Shawn will also mail you one for $25 if pictures are not enough

ton312 likes this.
  12. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

I’m pretty sure he is operating on razor thin margins. At $250 - 280 includinging shipping plus material and labor seems thin to me

ton312 likes this.
  13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Nice work Ton- you are quite literally an inspiration. With an eye for fit detail you have helped 5 Star transcend the blocky, made in Pakistan look to being a maker of quality repops. I wonder if they can take these learnings and apply them to their patterning in general or if there will always be a need to stipulate evey measurement.

I think they need to make a line of 3 or 4 'Tony of the Fedora Lounge' jackets in period fittings as a part of their range, with all patterns articulated from size 36 to 48.

Zoo, jonesy86, Carlos840 and 2 others like this.
  14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

It's Pakistan - if they were making these for locals they would cost far less.

red devil likes this.
  15. ton312

ton312

I would not be surprised to see 5 star prices creep up. Anyone who wants one of the patterns I sent can have it in their size for $50-100 less than I paid. I’m paying for the pattern work, as is everyone else who has sent a pattern. The key for me would be a larger variety of hides, some small but nevertheless important QC improvements and for the love of GOD, better presentation when shipped. I have absolutely zero doubt about skill and craftsmanship or the final product. Some tiny tweaks could go a very long way in advancing his profit margin. Increasing the purchase price=exponentially increased expectation. With that said Shawn might be content to occupy his current marketplace slot. Which is certainly unique. I have purchased an Aero’s worth of 5 stars while waiting for my next Aero. So there’s that too.

Zoo, Psant25, El Marro and 1 other person like this.
  16. tmitchell59

Sounds like I need you for an agent! I've thought about several projects with my jacket collection, including having my own line based on my collection. Bill Kelso offering to make from their achieve is an interesting idea. I have no idea how successful that is.

Creating jackets from vintage originals is nothing new. Many jackets today are based on old jackets. I have the original jackets but not the resources to have them made. Perhaps there is an avenue.

rockandrollrabbit, Zoo and ton312 like this.
  17. ton312

ton312

Thanks for the kind words Seb! I have certainly enjoyed the process as it allows me to be a bit creative and find some really great jackets to wear!

18. tmitchell59

Yep

ton312 likes this.
  19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think that could only apply if you actually made up and sent them the pattern templates for cutting.

20. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I sourced the leather from Horween for a jacket that JL made me about five years ago. I purchased two “sides” of steerhide and each side was approximately 20 square feet. Once the jacket was complete and there was probably about four or five square feet left over. FYI the jacket was a size 46 with a 27 inch back length.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    red devil likes this.