Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

#5 Zipper on Heavy Hides?? 4 oz

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Planning on sending my Lost Worlds chain mail armor jacket off for a new zip once it arrives this week and I'm toying with the idea of using a vintage NOS Talon #5 two way zip. Mainly for aesthetics. Would you guys chance it or stay with the #10 it was built with?

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Planning on sending my Lost Worlds chain mail armor jacket off for a new zip once it arrives this week and I'm toying with the idea of using a vintage NOS Talon #5 two way zip. Mainly for aesthetics. Would you guys chance it or stay with the #10 it was built with?
-- I'd definitely consult with Stuart, of LW, as he's a wealth of information...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My LW vest originally had a smaller Talon zipper - same one in the product info photos on lostworldsinc.com - which literally shattered (the previous owner kept the broken zipper in the chest pocket) and was replaced with a gigantic paperclip Talon which to me seems to be just about the only possible choice for the kind of leather LW is using.
I personally wouldn't take a chance of having anything smaller than the #10 zipper installed into any seriously heavy leather jacket.

IMG-20190710-153218.jpg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My LW vest originally had a smaller Talon zipper - same one in the product info photos on lostworldsinc.com - which literally shattered (the previous owner kept the broken zipper in the chest pocket) and was replaced with a gigantic paperclip Talon which to me seems to be just about the only possible choice for the kind of leather LW is using.
I personally wouldn't rick having anything smaller than the #10 zipper on any really heavy leather jacket.

IMG-20190710-153218.jpg

Seconded, #5 zips were not designed for these heavy hides. Which zip do you currently have on and which jacket is it?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I would go with a military talon type. I think they can do they job well. Also, who is doing the zipp work? It is not easy to do. Please let me know if you have a good craftsman who can tackle the job. I am always interested in knowing them.

You can find NOS military zippers in eBay. If you do not find one, let me know, I have a good stash that can share with a forum member.

Look at this link attachments. It might give you an idea. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-lost-world-j23-project.95455/

Good luck with your project friend,
G.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 4oz+ LW has a #10 NOS Conmar zipper and I get nervous zipping that thing up sometimes! No way I would chance anything smaller on an LW jacket.

My 4oz Aero Steerhide j106 obliterated every single #5 on the jacket. That said my nearly 5oz halfbelt hasn’t broken the teeny tiny 5. If I had a choice I wouldn’t want anything less than an 8 on something that heavy. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when, it will break.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I'd never use any zipper marked as YKK on any good repros 'cause that's the exact mass-market brand which almost ruined old good american zippers like original Talon. YKK was cheaper but not better. Still looks cheapo to me. That's why. YKK? Nope, never. Just not my cup of tea.
Any other zipper might suit Ok, but not YKK anyway.
If persist on YKK - well, at least it should be marked like Talon or something just to look Ok on repros, but not marked as YKK which looks just horrible to my taste, esp. on any good repro from 30s-60s.
Riri isn't quite period correct - well, yes. But it anyway looks much much more neutral and still works and feels better than YKK which is the zipper brand I always try to avoid on my jackets.
Just a personal opinion and personal choice.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
it is cheap, but on my jacket it has not failed yet or showing sign of failing for 5 years on the oldest, I don't like the square default pull, I always use their paperclip style, but obviously not looking repro :oops:

it is cheap, but on my jacket it has not failed yet or showing sign of failing for 5 years on the oldest, I don't like the square default pull, I always use their paperclip style, but obviously not looking repro :oops:

I agree. I need to count on my zips when riding. YKK reliability is why I do not mind using them. Do I prefer a monster Talon? I guess I do, but a YKK10 works extremely well, so YKK work for me.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
strange thing YKK rivets and denim button are praised to be the best :confused: and often mentioned in the spec of a premium jeans,

their default rectangular puller for metal autolock zip is a poo poo design , but I don't mind their paperclip, ykk antiqued brass also patina copper red on the edges, however I stay away of their chrome/ nickle puller as the metal looks ugly, unless you find their rather rare antiqued silver/ gunmetal pull ( i bought dozen of it from ebay to replace puller/ slider of silver YKK on my jacket).

Davidm

Familiar Face
YKK zippers are bad. I mean i had quite a few on my "fashion" stuff like Stone Island etc, and they always fails after few years. And my repro talons on Buco and GW survived 10+ years. and i never had a single issues with them. Sold those jackets, but i think there is few more decades to come with no issues. Crown on LW is superb as well.

YKK zippers are bad. I mean i had quite a few on my "fashion" stuff like Stone Island etc, and they always fails after few years. And my repro talons on Buco and GW survived 10+ years. and i never had a single issues with them. Sold those jackets, but i think there is few more decades to come with no issues. Crown on LW is superb as well.

Like all brands, there are tiers to YKK zippers.

Peacoat

Bartender
A #10 is a good choice for that jacket. My tiny Aero zip (#5?) failed after a year or so of problems. I contacted Allan at Johnson about putting a #8 on it. He said they always use #10 for their jackets and doesn't recommend anything smaller. He put a #10 on it, and I have had no further problems. As Stu made your jacket, he is the one to contact. I imagine he put a #10 on it for a very good reason, and will probably laugh at your wanting to swap out for a #5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ