Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50's coats? I need help!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Hi girls!
Could you please post pics of 50's coats?
I am probably buying this one...

DL555_58074_09090_64_3590.jpg

I know it's not that 50s looking.. But what do you think? ...and what era does it belong in then?
Will it look good with a beret and boots in a style like these (not neccesarily in those colors)

4uwnofm.jpg

54cb9c9.jpg

4mjbm9h.jpg

(Please ignore the weird setting.)

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
^^^Thanks!

I tried researching 50's jackets... and they wouldn't look good on me anyway.
I'm a chabby gal, so I need something to define my waist and body.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
While my first impression on the coat is 70's too, it's still a rather classic trench style and will be great with just about anything, esp. those shoes! Where'd you find those last two pair, I want them!!

I agree.. I usually think of swing coats when I think 50's, and they don't look so hot on me either. Esp. since I'm short. But I do have a few that I love and wear anyway! But since most just hang straight without a belt, ect.. you get a draft too! :p
Nikki

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
While my first impression on the coat is 70's too, it's still a rather classic trench style and will be great with just about anything, esp. those shoes! Where'd you find those last two pair, I want them!!

I agree.. I usually think of swing coats when I think 50's, and they don't look so hot on me either. Esp. since I'm short. But I do have a few that I love and wear anyway! But since most just hang straight without a belt, ect.. you get a draft too! :p
Nikki
Oh..They're from a danish designer/shop who is inspired by the golden era.
The designer named her shop after her two grandmothers Edith and Ella.
http://www.edith-ella.dk/

Check out the collection - Red lippie and wave clamps! :D

katiepickle

New in Town
I picked this one up at the swap meet about a year ago. It is tight just under the bust and then flares out. A gal I know who owns a vintage shop dated it at late 50s or early 60s.
I would wait until fall fashions come out completely if you were looking for something more authentic than the coat you found (I think it is super cute either way), I have seen some really amazing 40s and 50s style coats coming back in high fashion. I am waiting for the affordable knock-offs to make it out.

swapmeetcoat.jpg

epr25

Practically Family
I so wish that you guys were close to me. I am not exagerating when I say that I have at least 20+ coats that I do not need. I think we should set up a free just pay the shipping clothing swap. I want and need to get this stuff out of my house but I would love to know that it is going to an appreciated home.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tinseltown said:
Oh..They're from a danish designer/shop who is inspired by the golden era.
The designer named her shop after her two grandmothers Edith and Ella.
http://www.edith-ella.dk/

Check out the collection - Red lippie and wave clamps! :D
Thank you for posting that beautiful site! What lovely clothes, settings, hair and makeup, and model. The name is sweet.
Yes, I have so many coats as well, including some I've made. So many coats! So many great ones still for sale in the thrift store! :)

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
Thank you for posting that beautiful site! What lovely clothes, settings, hair and makeup, and model. The name is sweet.
Yes, I have so many coats as well, including some I've made. So many coats! So many great ones still for sale in the thrift store! :)
You're welcome honey.
The embarrasing thing is, I've known about this place for a year, but still haven't been there.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have some great coats that were my grandmother's. I'll try to take pics later and post them. I don't wear them because they are all 3/4 sleeves and I can't find gloves long enough to cover the bare skin (or shirt sleeve)that is left exposed. For a good idea of how her coats were made, take a look at http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5480.htm?tab=jackets_coats&page=1 view C, only imagine a slim sleeve that ends at bracelet lenght, instead of the strange puffy sleeve. I am a top heavy hour glass, but for some reason, these coats look great on me.

Kim_B

Practically Family
epr25 said:
I so wish that you guys were close to me. I am not exagerating when I say that I have at least 20+ coats that I do not need. I think we should set up a free just pay the shipping clothing swap. I want and need to get this stuff out of my house but I would love to know that it is going to an appreciated home.

I'm sure these are all way too small for me anyway, but it's good to know we've got a resource nearby! :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
epr25 said:

You can list them in classifieds!

Miss Emily

New in Town
Lady Day said:
cloak.jpg
brownplaid.jpg

vincoat.jpg
redbellcoatcopy.png

The red one I bought, the others I made.

LD

Oh My God! I 've been looking for a coat like that for ages! I can't believe you made them. Do you know anywhere that sells capes or coats like yours? ...or do you sell them yourself...??

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aw thanks Miss Emily :)

Capes are hard to find, and more so harder to get a good fit. Its all about drape, and most gals end up with capes too small, and they pull at the shoulders.

The cape I made is from a vogue pattern, and was way more difficult than I thought it was gonna be. I made another as well, shorter, more mod lookin'
WOOLCLOAK.jpg
DSC00429.jpg

They are also hard to wear :eek:
But they look so cool!!

I also have some fitted 50s jackets.
feltcoatd.jpg
blkbreastcoat.jpg

These are both from the same pattern.

LD

Caledonia

Practically Family
Tinseltown - If you felt like it you could just about do a 40s look with that black coat and those shoes. The wide, rounded collar, tie belt, and simple lines work for the era. The shoes, while obviously modern, have a 30s 40s edge to them. Seamed stockings and the right accessories and you could work it!

You don't need to stick to swing coats for the 50s. Sorry, don't have any coats to photograph, but the early 50s were also big into cinched waists, fitted sleeves, and flared skirts, the continuation of Dior's 47 look. Swing coats were an alternative, and swing backs with fitted fronts also happened. You could keep it simple with a straight coat matching or complementing your dress (3/4 length sleeves will give you a better 50s edge). The Barrel look (yes, you look like you're wearing a barrel!) was tried out later on when designers were struggling to come up with something new. And of course the classic A Line that then moved into the 60s.

Early fifties shoes you need the round toe heel. After that stick to a good pointed toe stilleto, kitten heel, or the classic flat pump, pointed or ballet. Ballet with cigarette pants, not skirts. There are loads of different styles, but those are the classics.

Love all the coats ladies! Being a tad on the buxom side at the moment, I am in dire need of a stiff girdle and tailoring sad to say, but have a swing coat on my must have list.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I find that my best asset is my smaller waist - so I search ebay for "princess" coats when I'm ready to buy. Generally these I think are more 60s but have a smaller waist and give me some curves. I have decided after not having a color left to buy that I must part with one for every new one I purchase though. I can't wait for coat seasaon to begin!
I adore those shoes too - unfortunately I suffer from the horrifying C'ankle disease I would look so strange in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic