Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

548th Bomb squadron patch, on canvas. Was this intended for use on an A2?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Once again I must ask the more knowledgable members in the lounge about this little gem I picked up in my travels today. 385th Bomb Group, 548th Squadron, flying out of Great Ashfield, England.
It is 6 and 1/2 by 4 inches, ink (?) printed on a kind of canvas or twill material.Definately treated with something as it has a sort of snap to it like heavy paper. It doesn't have a cloth feel.
Was this the standard type patch that was applied to an A2 jacket? I was under the impression that such unit patches would have been made of more durable leather, as opposed to cloth.
Also, this seems to be different from others I have seen online in that it incorporates the insignia from American aircraft wings in it's design, as opposed to a simple circular design.
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide on this.:)

Opus210.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
That is my Dad's old 8th AAF group-385th BG,548th BS. He has two squadron patches,one on his A2,and another unused one in his scrapbook. Both are circular,with just the image of Bugs Bunny riding the bomb-they do not have the national insignia behind them. Both patches are on a fabric like canvas,and not leather. Interestingly,he had the same patch painted directly on his M41 jacket.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
After a little bit of investigating online, I found that this type of patch was maybe fairly common as they were easier to produce. It's silk screened
(7 colors!) so was probably part of a larger sheet. I believe these were made by RKO, not sure about that. Nicely detailed, although they probably did not withstand the ravages of time as well as a leather or embroidered patch would. So maybe these are a bit rare now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner