Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think part of the current interest in A-1s may be backlash generated by A-2 fatigue. I know its one of the reasons I ordered my A-1 from John back in '07. As much as we all love A-2s, you have to admit, they're as common as sparrows. Yes, high-end reproduction A-2s are relatively rare, but at thirty feet most people can’t tell the difference between a Goodwear Dubow W535-ac-27798 and a Wilson’s Distressed Bomber.

The A-1 fills the bill as a light-weight, vintage, leather military flight jacket. It can be worn with khakis and jeans...or even a tie. Like the A-2, it is classic and understated. But it is different enough from the A-2 that not even the most unschooled observer would lump it in with the other “A-2 bomber jackets”.

AF

Good points AF. You may be right. I'm considering changing my GW order to an A-1. I'd probably benefit from one made for a slimmer torso, but I'd hate to give up the hide. Maybe I should just gain the weight back? lol

Flashman

Familiar Face
I agree with all of that pretty much.

I was VERY close to ordering an A2 and in fact did - but fortunately the company (PROVIATION) was struggling with my order and by then I had stumbled on Alain De Cadanets VBD series and he was wearing a lovely (Aero, i think) A1.

I liked the facts that the A1 seemed to be a rarer jacket compared to the lovely A2 and I really love the collar of the A1.
Also, as a race/classic car I wanted a jacket that would protect me from the wind hitting my neck/throat.

So for all those many reasons, the 4 month wait for my Aero A1 was completely worth it.

I think part of the current interest in A-1s may be backlash generated by A-2 fatigue. I know its one of the reasons I ordered my A-1 from John back in '07. As much as we all love A-2s, you have to admit, they're as common as sparrows. Yes, high-end reproduction A-2s are relatively rare, but at thirty feet most people can’t tell the difference between a Goodwear Dubow W535-ac-27798 and a Wilson’s Distressed Bomber.

The A-1 fills the bill as a light-weight, vintage, leather military flight jacket. It can be worn with khakis and jeans...or even a tie. Like the A-2, it is classic and understated. But it is different enough from the A-2 that not even the most unschooled observer would lump it in with the other “A-2 bomber jackets”.

AF

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
No More A2s

On a side note, A2s are about to become a little rarer. I just found out today through a friend that the US Air Force is cracking down on the wearing of A2s, flight suits and fatigues of the flight line. Apparently, all non flight personnel are to turn in their A2s and Nomex suits. No Fatigues worn off base either!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
On a side note, A2s are about to become a little rarer. I just found out today through a friend that the US Air Force is cracking down on the wearing of A2s, flight suits and fatigues of the flight line. Apparently, all non flight personnel are to turn in their A2s and Nomex suits. No Fatigues worn off base either!
To paraphrase my 2nd Amendment loving friends...they'll get my issued Saddlerys when they pry them from my cold, dead hands!

AF

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Flashman, sir, where are the pics? (Unless I've seen you out on the street in London.) Would love to see them, in anticipation of my own GW A1 arriving.

Seconded on the tired A2.

SJ

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The A-2 is being reg'd out of existence in the same careful way the Navy got rid of Aviation Greens: you make it so the item can only be worn when it's more trouble than it's worth. AIUI, zoomies can mostly wear them while enroute to duty, not on duty (and certainly not off duty).

Last edited:

Flashman

Familiar Face
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

As much as I love the A-1 style, it does suggest the pre-WWII period, and if your wardrobe (like mine) is post-war, then you're probably better off with an A-2.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it suggests the prewar period, but it doesn't scream it. I tend to think of the A-1 as wonk-inspired casual wear. 90% of the time I wear my A-1s it's with jeans and an undress shirt.
7139269513_31a5b6136d_o.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn