Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Just been having a WIDER read of the forum and the Outwear section in particular.

What I noticed is that there are/were a hell of a lot of threads/discussion on Aero.

Whilst I have noticed much of the views here in my short time have been less favourable of my Aero/A1 with preferences by individuals for GW and ELC (and personal preference is the right way to go IMO) what is the wider/generally held view?
Are Aero the LEADING makers of these jackets worldwide?

A1's ....... NO

Alan

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
A-2s? Of the established higher end manufacturers (as opposed to less accurate patterns) possibly ELC in terms of numbers sold in the west; GW sell fewer (smaller operation and bespoke) but generally acknowledged to lead for quality.
Buzz Rickson, RMNZ and The Few, have their adherents (but very big in Japan) - also Lost Worlds, but less accurate.
Aero is often lauded by FL members, but the A-2 jackets don't appear to be mentioned often in other jacket fora - I think that they're better known for their other house styles.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I live in suit/tie but NOT forced - its my comfort zone and my 'skin' if you like. But the A1 is a my alternative weekend treat!

I always find that curious as I have worn a suit about 4 times in my life. I don't enjoy wearing garb you have to dry clean. The A1 I get.

Looks like an A-1 Lindy is wearing, but the pic is pretty small.

220px-LindberghStLouis.jpg

I have to chime in to defend the Aero's. I have currently two of their A-2's, and I find them excellent jackets. Again, maybe not as "accurate" as others, but close enough for me and very well made. I don't personally find ELC's jackets appealing, sans their B-6's. But it's all what makes the world go 'round... Get what you likes!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Scott
Lindy's appears to be a private purchase 'A-1' (as opposed to an issued jacket), but at that stage he would certainly have been able to afford his own tailored jackets!
I think your missing the point that I was making (or bearing it out). I'm not commenting on the quality or otherwise of Aero A-2s (I have no experience of them and they don't appeal to me personally) and so no defence is required. Simply, that they are more common/popular on FL than in others (or appear to be).
Similarly, I have owned no ELC A-2s (but plenty of their A-1s), but others on VLJF have multiples. The newer jackets are apparently of high quality according to posts there. Again, they don't appeal to me as I prefer GW.
To reiterate, Flashman asked about 'leading' - I'm simply giving my view of numbers/popularity based on what I read
on different fora. There isn't a quibble over quality of product or workmanship (as long as your sleeves are the same length), but others are more true to pattern.
Depends on how you define 'leading' really...
Over to somebody else, I'm conscious this is an A-1 thread and I'm rabbiting about A-2s...

Last edited:
No quibble here Ian. Just tossing in my defense of Aero. Wasn't geared towards anyone at all! Certainly I love GW. I had to drop 1-2 sizes to get John able to make me a jacket for cryin' out loud. Now, the A-1. I'm sure Lindy had his own jackets made too. I saw an episode of Pickers last night where the guy had a rubber rain coat made for Lindy in the (?) Early 1900s. I am enamored with the design now. Still trying to decide on my upcoming GW order. Likely I'll still go '39 Werber or '38 Aero in russet. I have always craved an A-1 with the raw seems though. Help! lol

Last edited:

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Oh Butte, that's a tough decision. Like I mentioned in an earlier post I just put in an order with GW for an A-1. I'm ready to jump in with both feet on that design. I can tell you I really think the '38 models at least the Aero ones I've seen are niiiiice. Haha, this thread is killing me because I thought I'd have an easy time waiting for my A-1. But now we keep talking about them and I'm starting to get that feeling inside again. :)

Ps, "raw seems"? That sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Oh Butte, that's a tough decision. Like I mentioned in an earlier post I just put in an order with GW for an A-1. I'm ready to jump in with both feet on that design. I can tell you I really think the '38 models at least the Aero ones I've seen are niiiiice. Haha, this thread is killing me because I thought I'd have an easy time waiting for my A-1. But now we keep talking about them and I'm starting to get that feeling inside again. :)
It's never easy waiting man. That's why I try to order at the beginning of the year so I don't have jacket weather on my mind. Then, boom, fall comes and hopefully the jacket. Can't wait to start seeing JC's new A-1s. Then of course since everyone will have one, gotta move to the M-422. Have you seen 767fo's? It's insane.

Flashman

Familiar Face
Drove to Wales and back - lovely sunny day for a change - had my Persol Aviator glasses on, the Landrover Freelander freshly cleaned, the light brown chinos and blue shirt with my NEW flat cap from Bates (worn back to front) - but sadly TOO WARM a day and could NOT wear my Aero A1...!:(

On way back to London, whilst i was speeding down (circa 110-120 mph, hope I don't get points on my Licence) I saw a chap in an open top white soft top MG with the hood down and wearing a Type A2, Ray Ban (Aviators) looking the part!!!:cool:
Top stuff!

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That sounds awesome. I just got back from a test spin. Firgured a period jacket would look good on this - this close to doing it.

triumph-scrambler8.jpg
Thats one nice Scrambler! Unfortunately, I just bought another old bike and am out of money, both for bikes and A1s. Like I said to a couple of friends the other day, my name is Dennis, and I am a motorcycle junky, it's been zero days since my last fix!

Flashman

Familiar Face
That sounds awesome. I just got back from a test spin. Firgured a period jacket would look good on this - this close to doing it.

triumph-scrambler8.jpg

That is a lovely. I wish you well in that.
I am a classic car buff and hope to be able to have a few in the next years to come. Hoping a few soft top cars will give me the chance to show of the A1.

Last edited:

Flashman

Familiar Face
Not much for the fashion jackets and the 2-3x prices. Especially with that crazy S,M,L sizing. Not in my circles.

Not impressed with their version of the A1 either and the price is way too high!

I'd rather go with an Aero A1 - which is lovely in the way it is put together and also nicely designed etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo