Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Jackets Which Color - Russet or Seal Brown

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I used to think that I preferred russet colored A-2s, but of late, when I grab one of my jackets, I've found I will pick a seal brown A-2.

What is your color preference for your A-2 ?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Generally I prefer shades of russet, but do like the darker seal with russet undertones on Aero's W535ac21996 and 42-15142-P contracts. The seal of RW's 27752 is also a particular favourite of mine.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
The biggest problem I saw in the 80's when I started collecting was that the color of the then available A2's were just too dark. They were almost black with a really hard shine. I prefer a russet but a bit deeper and not the kind that's overly reddish. Here's an example of the color I prefer.

DSC00037-1.jpg

This is the darkest I would go. It's a repro by J.A. Dubow.
DSC00406.jpg

aswatland

I like the colour of the original. Here's two shades of russet I like as well from jackets in my collection.

Original Star
008-53.jpg

Donigers
005-46.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Gotta be russet. It's the original color and matches the rest of the leather items that were worn which makes for a more color coordinated look. :)
Also it just looks more "natural" to me somehow. [huh]

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Lost World

Don't you guys hate me for this but.....Lost Worlds russet HH A-2s have the best color IMO. They call it russet and and so will I, it seems to have a richer shade to it than any other. Some russet hides are almost just that rust and some seal hides are almost black. LW nailed it.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
After going through all of my original A2's, I've noticed that there is a variation from maker to maker and even hide batch to hide batch with the same maker. The variation is not enough to be out of regs but still there. When we start comparing the shades against each other and being so picky, I think we're looking for something that doesn't really exist, that being the absolute most authentic color. I don't know exactly which one is the best, but I do know the difference between way off and on. If the repros look extremely close to the originals in old color photos with all their variations, the that's good enough for me.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Read someplace that the original russet color was the result of an accident. Rust in the steel dye tanks or something like that. So there could be no real consistency to the color.[huh]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
I like the colour of the original. Here's two shades of russet I like as well from jackets in my collection.

Donigers
005-46.jpg
I like your last two, they are just starting into the red family, but are clearly still of the brown part of the spectrum! My Perry Sportswear is far more red! I have seen originals that are all over the brown spectrum through the years. Maybe it is the different ways that the dyes fade when exposed to the atmosphere.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Read someplace that the original russet color was the result of an accident. Rust in the steel dye tanks or something like that. So there could be no real consistency to the color.[huh]

Now that makes a ton of sense. That may even account for some variation of color on the same jacket.

Hey Captaincaveman, I never thought of it that way. You're definitely right about that. Now I have to look at all my repros to check my collars.

aswatland

Silver Dollar said:
After going through all of my original A2's, I've noticed that there is a variation from maker to maker and even hide batch to hide batch with the same maker. The variation is not enough to be out of regs but still there. When we start comparing the shades against each other and being so picky, I think we're looking for something that doesn't really exist, that being the absolute most authentic color. I don't know exactly which one is the best, but I do know the difference between way off and on. If the repros look extremely close to the originals in old color photos with all their variations, the that's good enough for me.

You are 100% correct here. None of my 13 russet originals are exactly the same shade and yes where I have two jackets from the same maker, such as the Donigers above or Poughkeepsies there are still variations. There was no ideal russet colour in the war and there isn't now with repros.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Now it's up to us to pick the russet ones we like the best. I have an Eastman jacket that has a bit more red in it and it looks fantastic. The weather here in Kentucky has gotten too warm for jackets so I have to put them away until November:( . Besides, this Kentucky air tends to shrink my clothes so my jackets are getting a bit to small for me. I have to wear them open. Besides, no amount of time in the shower will ever get them to fit nicely again. Looks like I'm due some time on the treadmill.

aswatland

Edward said:
I like both. I'm especially a fan of the seal with the very reddish knits, but I also like Russett.

I'm also a fan of the seal and berry combination as seen in the Aero ac21996 and 42-15142-P.

013-57.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have an Eastman Roughwear repro of contract W535 AC-27752, which is seal, with red knits and the AAF decal. (Not sure if it should have those, if memory serves the eBay auction suggested this was non-standard?). John (Goodwear) does one with that combo (W535-ac-21996). Aero will also do it... Aero A2s aren't generally considered to be as accurate as the former, though IMHO, if what you're after is a period style jacket to wear with civilian clothing, the Aeros are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24