Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Knits advice PLEASE

RayR

One of the Regulars
I just got an eBay wartime Rough Wear 1401P with leather in good condition, but someone in the past replaced the lining, zipper, and knits with ...WTF? :eusa_doh:

I have advice on the proper lining, and it looks like I'll have to give up on the Crown zip and go with Talon. But here's where I need advice.

Who makes...where can I get...the best repro sleeve and bottom knits?
Here are photos that show - the color whichI think is correct, but the length and weave are bizarre.

1.JPG

4.jpg

And just for laughs (or to make you cry) check out the lining:

9.jpg

Fortunately someone had the good sense to re-install the original label!

I'm quite new at this A-2 thing, so I really appreciate your comments.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Areo will sell you knits. I know cause I bought some from them. Folks also sell them on the Bay, some are NOS, can't get any better'n that. You can also try John Chapman at GoodWear, he may sell you some or even tell you where and who'll do the work for you. Cotton drill was the standard lining.

Worf

Lando

Practically Family
Johnsons leather has the rust knits like the ones Aero does. I had them fix up a Langlitz for me with all new knits. The color is almost exactly like the rust colored Aero ones and I'm pretty sure they have good brown knits that aren't that far off from the Aero. If your looking for a stateside option, I'd try Alan at Johnsons. He might even do you a better liner if you ask him about what materials they have on hand that are closer to period. Hope any of that helps.

mihai

A-List Customer
Last edited:

RayR

One of the Regulars
Mihai, thanks for the tip and the link! I do appreciate everyone's input

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RayR

One of the Regulars
Good info, Blackadder. I did not know about MASH. Looks like a winner on knits and NOS Talon zipper in both price and turn around. Too bad the Crown zips are "history".

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Drill is all I've ever seen or heard. Thor or Aswatland (he's the authority of authorities) might know more but brown, cotton drill was SOP near as I know. Navy Jackets had differing linings as did Shearling lined jackets.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot