Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Modifications

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Having recently purchased the complete set of 12 O'Clock High The Series, I have been glued to the television over the last few days and I noticed on General Savage's A-2 that he has some sort of sewn on material pouch to hold his cigarettes in on his left arm.

As practical as it seems, does anyone know of any other modifications that were done to jackets during the war?

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that Major ! I had one of those Monarchs a while back but grew a bit big for it and moved it on. The downfall with those internal pockets is that for maps they are fine but I was lugging around an Ipod, mobile phone, pack of ciggies, bunch of keys, bottle of water and I looked like a sack of potatoes !

So now that I am stocking up on A-2's, I am going to get Aero to do me one of their A-2's they call the 'CBI Field Modified' jacket which is effectively a mouton collar sewn on ! As this will be used as my winter jacket, rather than having the cotton lining I am going for their brown alpaca, so I will be warm. Will keep you posted ! Still waiting for my Bronco to arrive.................

jake431

Practically Family
DiabolicalAngel said:
Thanks for that Major ! I had one of those Monarchs a while back but grew a bit big for it and moved it on. The downfall with those internal pockets is that for maps they are fine but I was lugging around an Ipod, mobile phone, pack of ciggies, bunch of keys, bottle of water and I looked like a sack of potatoes !

So now that I am stocking up on A-2's, I am going to get Aero to do me one of their A-2's they call the 'CBI Field Modified' jacket which is effectively a mouton collar sewn on ! As this will be used as my winter jacket, rather than having the cotton lining I am going for their brown alpaca, so I will be warm. Will keep you posted ! Still waiting for my Bronco to arrive.................

What hide is Aero going to use for their CBI jacket for you? I've come close to pulling the trigger on one a few times. Maybe opt for FQHH and then you've got a winter jacket to beat all!

-Jake

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi Jake,

I have asked Amanda at Aero for a variety of leather samples. They are currently making me a Bronco in antique horse hide as my first choice was FQHH but none left but I know this guy who ordered one a few days after me and he is getting FQHH but no worries there.

The new jacket will have a colour combo on the knits and the mouton collar. So it will probably be jerky russett HH with brown collar and knits but I could change my mind and go jerky seal HH with lighter collar and rust knits...decisions decisions.........;)

Cheers

Roy

jake431

Practically Family
Roy,

As an aside - it's interesting they have the jacket labelled a CBI modified jacket - the only pics of mouton collared A-2's were taken in Europe. Either way, it's nice to see some photographic evidence, as I really like the look of a mouton collar with a one piece back. Please post photos when you get your CBI jacket - AND your bronco too!

-Jake

Tim P

New in Town
DiabolicalAngel said:

So a leather B10 then? all but. interesting!!!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Hmmnn...thinking. I've had hundreds of original A2s through my hands. At the moment these are the only mods I can think of, there may be others I've forgotten...

the addition of a fur collar (in fact the first one I ever owned at 17 years old had this)

the addition of inner pockets ( I have had a couple with an inner pocket made out of an escape map, I've never seen canvas)

The slitting of both sides at the back to make a "poacher's pocket" (maybe to stash an escape kit?) I have only seen this once

Replacing the lining with something flashier like red or black silk, or with something warmer - I have seen one with an alpaca lining lifted out of a B-10 and one with a shearling lining knocked up out of of B-1 pants.

plus minor mods like removing the cuffs

tallyho

One of the Regulars
A-2 Liners

something I read in either Bud Mahurin's or Gabby Gabreski's autobiography was that aces of the 56th fighter group had a tailor remove the cotton liner and replace it with a red silk one. I had it done on one of my averix jackets from the early eighties and it looked really sharp!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
yes, I've heard this too. Sweeting says it about both the 56th and 479th Fighter groups.

I had one many years ago with a red lining...probably rayon rather than silk. I have also had one with a black lining that I'm sure was silk. That was a sweet jacket I should never have sold, a very dark horsehide that was almost black.

jake431

Practically Family
nightandthecity said:
Hmmnn...thinking. I've had hundreds of original A2s through my hands. At the moment these are the only mods I can think of, there may be others I've forgotten...

the addition of a fur collar (in fact the first one I ever owned at 17 years old had this)

I don't suppose you remember the manufacturer of the jacket(s?) that you've seen modified this way?

-Jake

nightandthecity

Practically Family
'fraid not.This was back in the 60s, and at that stage I wasn't as interested in the fine details.

I wrecked the jacket too. Hadn't a clue how to maintain it. Of course, they weren't so rare back then, even in Britain.

What finally killed it was when I took it hitch hiking round the Highlands of Scotland in the early 70s. Afer a thorough soaking in the Outer Isles I dried it on a radiator in a ferry terminal......whoops! we learn by our mistakes.....

I had another with a very crudely added fur collar, must have been in the mid 80s, but I don't remember the maker

jake431

Practically Family
nightandthecity said:
'fraid not.This was back in the 60s, and at that stage I wasn't as interested in the fine details.

I wrecked the jacket too. Hadn't a clue how to maintain it. Of course, they weren't so rare back then, even in Britain.

What finally killed it was when I took it hitch hiking round the Highlands of Scotland in the early 70s. Afer a thorough soaking in the Outer Isles I dried it on a radiator in a ferry terminal......whoops! we learn by our mistakes.....

I had another with a very crudely added fur collar, must have been in the mid 80s, but I don't remember the maker

One more "dumb" question - how could you tell they were A-2's - not just post war (or civilian) jackets?

Thanks!
-Jake

nightandthecity

Practically Family
the AAF labels of course!

With the first one I am presuming with hindsight that the collar was a modification - at the time I just took it for granted.

By the time I had the other one in the 80s I was a collector and dealer and fairly knowledgeable, and it was definitely a field mod.

jake431

Practically Family
That's what I figured, but I was just asking to be sure. Well, that's very cool. My next reproduction jacket is forming in my mind as we speak!

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic