Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A chop-and-channel hat remodel project!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I found this Trail Ridge brand hat on Ebay. It has a discolored edge to the brim, and as soon as I spotted it I thought it would make a great "cut down to a fedora" project. Well, believe it or not I bought it for $14 including shipping. How could I go wrong?? The sweatband is marked "DYNAFELT - the water repellent fur blend."

Here are some photos - this is a GENEROUS size hat:

With my Blackberry on the brim for scale...
PA020033.jpg

With my Blackberry next to the crown for scale...
PA020034.jpg

Side view with fairly skinny ribbon...
PA020035.jpg

Upside down, with discoloration visible in the top right area of the brim...
PA020036.jpg

This is a very traditional, BIG-scale western hat with stout felt and lots of stiffener. The brim on this darn thing is 4" wide, and the crown is 5 3/4" tall even with the top bashed as you see it! WOW!

There's a LOT of room to trim, and about my only fear is that if I trim the brim to 2.5" as I plan, it will take a LOT of crown trickery and tucking-in to avoid looking like I'm wearing a top hat! :eek: Perhaps I'll try trimming the brim to 3" first to serve as a trial run for my technique, then go another step once I get a look at the proportions with the brim narrower. (??)

Comments? Suggestions for technique on trimming the brim?? :D

Pilgrim said:
There's a LOT of room to trim, and about my only fear is that if I trim the brim to 2.5" as I plan, it will take a LOT of crown trickery and tucking-in to avoid looking like I'm wearing a top hat! :eek: Perhaps I'll try trimming the brim to 3" first to serve as a trial run for my technique, then go another step once I get a look at the proportions with the brim narrower. (??)

Comments? Suggestions for technique on trimming the brim?? :D

You found a good hat to practice on, because even if you were to screw things up such that the hat was ruined (you won't), you wouldn't be out much. And I like your plan to trim the brim down in two bites, to test your method before you do anything that can't be undone.

Without a rounding jack or a brim cutter, you'll likely resort to scissors and sandpaper, I'd guess. First decide if you'll measure from the outer edge in or from the bandline (where the crown and brim meet) out. Some brims aren't of uniform width, by the way. And I'm not talking those "dimensional" brims here, but rather ones that are unintentionally uneven. To determine if you have one of those, measure the brim width from the bandline out in several spots. Should you determine that the guy who originally cut that brim had a hangover at the time, you'd better make your measurement from the bandline out. And even if the brim is of consistent width, it may be easier to get a clean, consistent line to cut along should you measure out rather than in.

But if it is a consistent brim, you can use one of those brim cutters that work from the outer edge in. I don't have one, but I'd guess that most Western wear shops do. Perhaps they'd do the job inexpensively or allow you to use the tool. Or, you may wish to purchase your own, should you anticipate an ongoing use for one.

But let's assume you'll use scissors. My preference is for measuring from the bandline out. Remove the ribbon first (an X-Acto knife might come in handy). Use a compass with something that will leave a discernible mark (a soft lead pencil ought to work). Cut along the mark with a good sharp pair of largish scissors. Finish with sandpaper.

I did it this way before I acquired a rounding jack. It worked pretty well, really. Turned out to be much less scary than I initially feared. And, even if you do a less than perfect job of it, you'll probably be the only one who knows it. I've come across a few cowboy hats with quite wavy brim edges, but to notice it you have to look more closely than most people ever would.

Now, about that crown ...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Good thoughts and helpful gents. I'm open to all comments.

TonyB, thanks for your specifics - I hadn't figured out how to cut the darn thing. I like the compass idea a lot - and probably will go that way. If I can find really tight, sharp scissors I might use them. Has anyone tried marking the brim, putting it on a flat surface and using a razor blade??

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
Good thoughts and helpful gents. I'm open to all comments.

TonyB, thanks for your specifics - I hadn't figured out how to cut the darn thing. I like the compass idea a lot - and probably will go that way. If I can find really tight, sharp scissors I might use them. Has anyone tried marking the brim, putting it on a flat surface and using a razor blade??

I cut the brim down on my PB custom as my first and only major hat modification and it worked out well, and was easy to do. I wouldn't be too worried about messing it up, especially if you follow the great advice of cutting it down a little at a time. I just marked mine with a pencil and a measuring tape every couple inches around the brim and then cut it with regular scissors. I then sanded the edge with some 'dry' wet-dry sanding paper. You might be surprised by how great the result is.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Yes, Pilgrim; I agree with Tonyb. I've cut down a few cowboy-style hats with just a compass and a pair of sharp scissors. Unless you have a very steady hand, I wouldn't do it with a razor blade on a flat surface. Sandpapering really does cover a multitude of flaws.

Good luck.

Craig nailed it, pilgrim. Scissors will likely make it easier to produce a smooth cut than a razor blade or box-cutter would.

And yes, sandpapering should smooth out any imperfections such that only you will know they're there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass