Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't pronounce Akubra...now I have one...

xwray

Familiar Face
Thanks to the education I received in this forum I aquired the Akubra Overland. I like it a lot...I only wish the pictures were as pretty as the hat...

jharrell

New in Town
xwray said:
Thanks to the education I received in this forum I aquired the Akubra Overland. I like it a lot...I only wish the pictures were as pretty as the hat...

Very nice hat.
What I'm really drooling over though are the rifles on the wall.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Not my style of hat, but it definitely looks like it was made for you. Wear it well.

PS It's amazing how quickly things change - can't pronounce Akubra and now a proud owner!

Pilot99

Familiar Face
jharrell said:
Very nice hat.
What I'm really drooling over though are the rifles on the wall.

/agree lol. I love the rifles as well as the hat man. Like it was said earlier, it wouldn't look too good on me but it fits you perfectly.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Very sharp looking hat,sir,and it looks good on you. Not one for cowboy/western type hats but your Akubra is obviously highest quality.
Congrats!

HMH

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
nice

if only akubra offered customization- i'd get that with a ribbon and bow (open road style) and we would be set.

looks sharp, i like the subdued color too; not too assuming nice choice :)

as for the rifles, do you collect real antiques or replicas? they look like rolling block design or whatever that mechanism was called.

xwray

Familiar Face
cybergentleman said:
if only akubra offered customization- i'd get that with a ribbon and bow (open road style) and we would be set.

looks sharp, i like the subdued color too; not too assuming nice choice :)

as for the rifles, do you collect real antiques or replicas? they look like rolling block design or whatever that mechanism was called.

They are all real and it is indeed a Remington Rolling Block...the only problem with this particular rifle is it is in .43 Spanish and you just can't buy shells in that caliber. I did manage to buy about 20 cases from a dealer that I intend to reload once I can get the dies and trimming information...it ought to be interesting to light off a few rounds with it. I am partial to single shot rifles anyhow and I love the rolling block design.

The rifles hanging on the wall are a few military pieces that I found over the years as new surplus or arsenal rebuilt in like new condition.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
i'm also a fan of the rolling block design. there are a few custom makers around my area. i don't have any money, but IF i did i would have them make me one :-D

aside from the rolling block look, i have a penchant for the look of old school bolt actions, with the full stock. not sure what it is, but i find something chic about them.

anyway. wear the hat well.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Glad we could help, xwray. Here's another tip: The correct name of your Akubra is Overlander!

As I mentioned on another thread, I ordered a Lawson in the same dark fawn color and was concerned that it might be too dark, but once in hand, I really like the rich shade of chocolate. Even so, I'm hoping for a cool Spring so we can enjoy our dark hats as long as possible before Tilley and Panama weather arrive.

The outback style perfectly complements your rugged outdoorsman appearance and so looks terrific.

On your head, I'd never guess the hat has a 3 1/4-inch brim; you could easily wear an even wider brimmed hat and not look Heighty McDitey--excuse my technical terminology!. I know you're new to hats and probably didn't think about this, but you made a good decision to get one with a telescope crown, which tend to seat further down on the head without touching it and so stay on better in a moderate breeze versus a center crease bash. I love that six-strand hand-braided kangaroo leather hat band, too--sharp!

Now, it's time to start thinking about your next hat, an Akubra Territory, perhaps? It has a similar four-inch-high pinched-front telscope crown, only with two large ventilation eyelets on either side, and a four-inch brim. Especially in the sand color, this lid can be worn comfortably further into Spring and sooner in early Autumn. Many Aussies wear them through the Summer for outstanding sun, not to mention rain, protection.

Oh, and I, too, like the rifles and nearly sword-length bayonet.

xwray

Familiar Face
AlterEgo said:
Glad we could help, xwray. Here's another tip: The correct name of your Akubra is Overlander!

*snip*

Now, it's time to start thinking about your next hat, an Akubra Territory, perhaps? It has a similar four-inch-high pinched-front telscope crown, only with two large ventilation eyelets on either side, and a four-inch brim. Especially in the sand color, this lid can be worn comfortably further into Spring and sooner in early Autumn. Many Aussies wear them through the Summer for outstanding sun, not to mention rain, protection.

Oh, and I, too, like the rifles and nearly sword-length bayonet.

hmmmm...

You know, when I set off down this trail it was to buy a single hat.

Now I'm having second thoughts.

hmmmm...

The bayonet fits a .303 Lee Enfield which can't be seen in this picture...17" blade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany