Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A disturbing trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Just depends on how it's used. Rockibilly is also referred to as good old redneck music around my area.

Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Michaelson said:
redneck and rockibilly are used as interchangable words...

Well yes and no. Over here in CA, a "Rockabilly" is some one who is in love with the 1950's music, cars, girls in tight 50's dresses and beer.;) They all make rather good money and enjoy a 50's lifestyle.

They also have "Rockabilly" over seas too. It's rather big in the UK and other parts.

A red-neck to me is some one who lives in a trailer (not that there's wrong in that;) ) has most cars on blocks in the front yard and speaks with a twangy accent like those described in Jeff Foxworthy jokes.;) (Who I enjoy)

=WR=

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yep, that's how redneck is defined in other areas of the nation, as packaged and sold by the Blue Collar Comedy Tour group, and they're laughing all the way to the bank at the sale of the stereotype. Sure, those type folks exist, BELIEVE me:rolleyes: , but they're not as widespread as those guys would lead you to believe.;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
Yep, that's how redneck is defined in other areas of the nation, as packaged and sold by the Blue Collar Comedy Tour group, and they're laughing all the way to the bank at the sale of the stereotype. Sure, those type folks exist, BELIEVE me:rolleyes: , but they're not as widespread as those guys would lead you to believe.;)

Regards! Michaelson

I am sure that the one about cutting the lawn and finding a car has to be a fabrication---for instance. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I go to thrift stores in low income neighborhoods. I flea market and garage sale hunt. I would dumpster dive if there was the promise of something to be rescued. I see no problem with Target (don't like walmart). I wear t shirts and jeans. But I'm also a costume nazi and I admit it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
My top favorite!

It's me it's me, it's Earnest T!

15537059_beabe55382_o.jpg

That Howard Morris sure played a good roll on the Andy Griffith show.;)

=WR=

Lauren Henline said:
I go to thrift stores in low income neighborhoods. I flea market and garage sale hunt. I would dumpster dive if there was the promise of something to be rescued. I see no problem with Target (don't like walmart). I wear t shirts and jeans. But I'm also a costume nazi and I admit it.

Yep, me too--except for the costume thing. ;) I would dive into a dumpster for a nice vintage belted back jacket or suit any day of the week. I would even do it for a vintage hat or a nice piece of furniture. I have been known to do it enough that a friend of mine says: "Hey, there's some junk at the curb, you want me to stop so you can look through it." I hope he is not being sarcastic. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Lauren

Hey, me too! I love dumpster diving. I used to make "the rounds" with my mom on trash day. I officially am classifying myself as white trash.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Merv Griffin Set …

Hahahahah, dumpster diving! I’d do it too if I found anything worth wile!

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Cramer is walking with Gorge and he finds the old set to The Merv Griffin Show. He gets it and sets it up in his living room! Ah, good one for sure!

=WR=

shamus

Suspended
Let's use the right labels, since were using labels.

There is difference between Red-necks, good-ol' boys, white trash, and the like.

I use these labels since they seem to be what everyone is focusing on in this thread.

Having grown up in the Ozark mountains among other places... there is a difference.

Lauren

Red-necks- Me at the family farm in Missouri
good-ol' boys (gals) - Me at the go karting track with my dad.
white trash- Me dumpster diving.

I classify as all three! :p

Geez, I think I just might qualify for all even though I live out here in California. Both Great Grandfathers and Grandpa were both farmers and ranchers out here before it looks like it does now.
Good Ol'Boys? Hey I like watching the Dukes of Hazzard as much as anyone.
White Trash, well yeah there is that dumpster quote Lauren has of mine. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I am sure that the one about cutting the lawn and finding a car has to be a fabrication---for instance. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Uh, I've come close to that happening, but I don't consider myself a 'redneck' under that particular definition......just, uh, lazy.:cool: ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
shamus said:
I use these labels since they seem to be what everyone is focusing on in this thread.

You noticed that too?:cheers1:

Bottom line....folks is folks. Enjoy everyone as they come and your life will be enriched by it. I know mine is everytime I read posts by each and everyone of you, as many of you see and do things I can only dream about. Seriously.
I'm proud to be associated with you all, and THAT'S what prompted this original post.

Regards! Michaelson

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Growing up in rural Iowa I thought 'redneck' was literally having a red neck. Farmers got the backs of their necks sunburnt while doing field work all day. Farm land values as they are...there are a lot of very wealthy rednecks in Iowa...college educated, living in expensive homes and driving brand new Caddys.

Michaelson

One Too Many
You're absolutely correct. That's where the term originally came from, and it was pretty much coined during the Depression to differenciate between the 'haves' and 'have not's, and created by the media. (who ELSE? (There. We brought this around to a vintage discussion.:) )

Regards! Michaelson

shamus

Suspended
all three of those terms are not, well "good" labels.

I don't think I'd want to be classified as any of them.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
shamus said:
all three of those terms are not, well "good" labels.

I don't think I'd want to be classified as any of them.

Hence why, perhaps, we, as people who all want to maintain civility and polite society in times that are less then polite, should perhaps refrain from calling anyone (not just fellow Loungers) these terms, or any other terms that differentiate people in ways that are less then kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy