Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A disturbing trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanessa

One Too Many
shamus said:
There is difference between Red-necks, good-ol' boys, white trash, and the like.

Don't forget the hillbillies. . . or the 'mountain folk' as gramps called them. (Er- that'd be everyone in my family before my parents' generation.)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Like I said, it just depends on what real estate you're standing on when the terms are used.

Another one is 'Bubba'. Outside the South, it's considered as dergatory as 'redneck', but IN the South, it's the nick name of just about every man that lives down here. Definition:brother, usually the eldest son of the family. ;)

'Bubba-ism' is the term used for political corruption where I live, and yet it also is a term of endearment for most of the male population who live in the South.

Agreed 100%, Miss Neecerie. This leads immediately to misunderstanding when we have so many folks located in so many places around the globe.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Vanessa said:
. . . and then there's the moonshiners. . .

Now you're talking about my wife's family. Be careful.:cheers1: ;) I'm not kidding. All the 'shiners are now dead and gone in her clan, but we're only one generation removed, and that's ours.:)

Regards! Michaelson

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Neecerie said:
Hence why, perhaps, we, as people who all want to maintain civility and polite society in times that are less then polite, should perhaps refrain from calling anyone (not just fellow Loungers) these terms, or any other terms that differentiate people in ways that are less then kind.

Well Said.

Michaelson said:
Now you're talking about my wife's family. Be careful.:cheers1: ;) I'm not kidding. All the 'shiners are now dead and gone in her clan, but we're only one generation removed, and that's ours.:)

Regards! Michaelson

Hmmm.... I bet you still know where I can get some of the good stuff though don't you? Send three fifths in a plain brown box to........;)
You aren't related to Junior Johnson are you? Are there really seats in the back of that Plymouth. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson said:
This one's on me, James!:cheers1:

Regards! Michaelson

The glass or the plain brown box? ;)
For those who do not know, Junior Johnson was a Shine runner from just about the first day he could drive. Later he took those same skills and used them in what eventually became the NASCAR races to win victory after victory---with the same car he used to run shine in!
There was a documentary a while back where he spilled a few beans about shine running and how he would take a car like Michaelson's, remove the back seat and just about gut the rest of the car so that you could hide shine in the roof, doors, sidepanels, trunk, underside, gas tank, engine compartment and places you never thought of before like the spare tire even. The suspension was worked over to carry the load at regular ride height. The engines were hopped up to the maximum for horsepower to out run any revenuer out there. They were way ahead of the curve on hot rodding out in the middle of nowhere!:jeep: If you are a hot rodder now you owe a lot to moonshiners.
They used four door cars and usually had a woman with them so they presented a respectable front to passing police officers. The story was quite a hoot.
Are those doors hollow Michaelson? ;) :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Michaelson said:
Yep, that's how redneck is defined in other areas of the nation, as packaged and sold by the Blue Collar Comedy Tour group, and they're laughing all the way to the bank at the sale of the stereotype. Sure, those type folks exist, BELIEVE me:rolleyes: , but they're not as widespread as those guys would lead you to believe.;)

Regards! Michaelson

With all do respect, you should vist Northwest Florida. I grew up in these parts and can tell you the monkier of Redneck Riviera is well deserved <sigh> Those of that actually wear respectable clothing and footwear around here have a saying: You can take the trash out of the trailer but you can't take the trailer out of the trash (ex. Britney Spears and her umm "husband") If I'm being mean or PC incorrect, oh well. That's my take, and we'll just agree to disagree. I'll shuddup now.
V/R
DR

Michaelson

One Too Many
Watch Antiques Roadshow. They show jugs all the time, and explain the 'X' factor.;)

Hollow doors. Now WHY would you ask me a thing like that, James?:cool:

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
So you can bring me some hootch next time you are out this way. ;)

Heck, with all the OTHER craziness going on in our world today, I imagine I could just put the jars on the seat in plain sight, and no one would even notice.....that is, if I HAD some jars to put on the seat to bring you.:rolleyes: ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
that is, if I HAD some jars to put on the seat to bring you.:rolleyes: ;)

Sure if you HAD. I was just supposing and free thinking there.
See if you had a big still in hills/woods somewhere and you had an old family recipe then I would like to try it. ;)
Yeah, running shine now would be like running water. I can see it now on a rural road:
Officer: " What is that in bottles on your back seat?"
M: "Spring Water that I got from the spring. I am taking it home to make a special bath for my grandmother's arthritis."
Officer: "Well, that is mighty nice of you. She is lucky to have such a nice grandson. You can go."
Yep, I can see it happening now. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I would trade you a jug of Great, great Grandpa's wine recipe if I had some. :p

Wild Root

Gone Home
Michaelson said:
Like I said, it just depends on what real estate you're standing on when the terms are used.

Another one is 'Bubba'. Outside the South, it's considered as dergatory as 'redneck', but IN the South, it's the nick name of just about every man that lives down here. Definition:brother, usually the eldest son of the family. ;)

'Bubba-ism' is the term used for political corruption where I live, and yet it also is a term of endearment for most of the male population who live in the South.

Ah, Bubba! That's a classic name. You'll all laugh but, when I served a two year mission in Canada, I served three months with a young man who's name was Brian Peterson. His nick name at home and on his mission was Bubba! This guy is about 6'3" (Like me) almost 300lbs, head like a watermelon and built like a brick outhouse! He was a dairy farmer from Tremonton Utah and he loved farming. Talked about it all the time! Also one of the funniest guys you'd ever meet! I miss that guy, he was a good friend! He also liked kids, they also liked him! Just a simple weet guy. Take the shirt off his back for another type, good man. He's married now and I'm not sure where he's living. I need to see about contacting him some time soon.

=WR=

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hot Rods are art pieces

Plain and simple. It takes a hell of a lot of talent to turn some rusting bucket into a beautiful piece of art. The finish on these hot rods and roadsters are perfectly clear, like water on a pieaeful lake. Detroit wishes their designers created something like this out of the factory.:cheers1:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, hot rods can be art if done from rusty junk yard cars yes, it's quite nice to see and the work and money put into it shouldn't be overlooked but, say if some one buys a 1935 Plymouth that has had only one owner since new, garage kept always, low mileage, and in near mint condition... now, if you want to hot rod that car, you can if you want to see a grown man cry like a baby. Heck, I'd probably tie my self to it or, do what ever possible to buy it off of the murderer *cough* sorry, I mean artist.

We should resurrect what is dead, not alive. What that Boyd Coddington does on his show is just wrong some times. I like my cars old. A true hotrod is a motor and a bucket with four wheels. Not power everything.;)

Only my two cense.

=WR=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran