Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few pics from last weekend

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hello!
On Saturday I went to my second WWII battle. Kirsten and I were escaped Russian aristocrats turned Partisans in Italy who spoke French (say that three times fast :) ) I had a blast! We got to roll around in the dirt and shoot guns. What more could I ask for? Yes, I am a big tomboy at heart... and it was really cool seeing the big lights from the guns at night! We paired up with RC Halliburton and other of the British for a full fledged night attack and were entirely successful. We got shot down in a field by SS after we surrendered (they had us be the bait, so it spoiled their plan), and we had just a great time. Here's some silly pictures. Didn't take too many because I knew we'd be running around like mad:
partisan.jpg

partisans.jpg

Yeah, I was probably talking in this one...
partisan4.jpg

And a girl's gotta have her lipstick...
partisan3.jpg

partisan2.jpg

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Lauren, you are too cool!!

You have inspired me to quit messing around and get some stuff together for a Russian impression. A couple of my Civil War reenacting girlfriends do it, and they've been begging me to come out with them. I think its about time I loose the skirts and the nylons and head out to play in the dirt with the guys! :)

Those pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

-Jess

Lauren

Yippee! Thanks!

You should totally do it! It's a blast! Well, then again, I've never done Civil War re-enacting so I have nothing to compare it to. I did go to one Civil War re-enactment and really liked it, but I think I like "running with the boys" better, when they let me :)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
AtomicBlonde said:
Lauren, you are too cool!!

You have inspired me to quit messing around and get some stuff together for a Russian impression. A couple of my Civil War reenacting girlfriends do it, and they've been begging me to come out with them. I think its about time I loose the skirts and the nylons and head out to play in the dirt with the guys! :)

Those pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

-Jess

Russian is the only WWII impression where women can fight alongside the men. There are several women in my WWII Russian unit, including one who is the commissar.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren, you look fierce! Those pictures are amazing!
It reminds me of "For WHom The Bell Tolls," though that is technically the wrong war.
Still, you look great; tough like a Valkyrie. :)

Baggers

Practically Family
Wow, Lauren, I'm very impressed! :eusa_clap That first picture is definitely my favorite. There's a look on your face that really speaks to me for some reason. Great work!.

But A couple of questions about your impression, if I may. By 1941, were there any Russian aristocrats still around? I mean, after 1917 I would imagine that the ranks of the upper class in Russia would have thinned out rather dramatically. And considering that most of the partisan groups in Italy leaned towards communism, did you have to keep your 1st person "backstories" to yourselves?

Believe me, I'm not knocking what you're doing at all. I'm just looking for a little clarification in case there was something I missed. I just want to help you strengthen your impressions.

I do like the speaking french part. You might fit in with a French underground group here in Texas. :)

And Hemingway, (affecting a heavy Russian accent) "she is strong, built like tractor!"

Cheers! :cheers1:

Lauren

Thanks!

You know, I'm clueless and I admit it. I do whatever they say I should do, I just dress the part. And it seems I'm always supposed to be something different- last time I was a French Interpreter travelling about with a corrospondent, next time I'm to be a woman with the French resistance. Seems I'm always doing something French, which is ok by me. This battle took place in Italy, so from what Kirsten told me (if I get it right), we fled Russia into Italy and joined the resistance. But I may have it wrong, I dunno. [huh]

KAT

A-List Customer
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
i love the pictures! really nice! i bet you gals had a blast!
but next time re-enact for the germans ;) :eusa_doh: :D

Baggers

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Thanks!

You know, I'm clueless and I admit it. I do whatever they say I should do, I just dress the part. And it seems I'm always supposed to be something different- last time I was a French Interpreter travelling about with a corrospondent, next time I'm to be a woman with the French resistance. Seems I'm always doing something French, which is ok by me. This battle took place in Italy, so from what Kirsten told me (if I get it right), we fled Russia into Italy and joined the resistance. But I may have it wrong, I dunno. [huh]

Hey, don't let me make you obsess over it. If the French thing works for you, run with it! Je suppose que vous parlez fran?ßais?. If so, please don't respond in kind as I just exhausted my entire vocabulary :D The important thing is to have fun with what you're doing. I don't want to take anything away from that. At the very least, it looks like you're getting some great improv experience in a historical setting (Who am I this time?) lol

Cheers!

Lauren

But I'm always open to learn! If you have any tips or history I'll take em! :D

Oui, je parle un petit peu de francais, mais pas tres bien.

Baggers

Practically Family
Well, since you've asked... ;)
It would seem to me that any Russians who were a part of the aristocracy would have found life very unpleasant under the Bolsheviks and left as soon as possible with whatever wealth they could get away with. It might not be too much of a stretch that your family moved to Italy where they then could have been taken in by members of the Italian aristocracy. Of course, after 20 years or so, I would suppose that you would have also become fluent in Italian, so you might want to pick up some phrases in that language, "ciao, grazie, molto grazie, molto bene, Inglesi, Americani," that sort of thing. Although your french would be a great international tongue when conversing with the odd British officer with continental experience. As for the various groups of the Italian resistance, it's my understanding that many were avowed communists, so they might not have looked very kindly on anyone they felt were members of the landed classes.

I'm sorry that I can't get into this any deeper right now, perhaps I can do some more digging and come up with more info. My sources are two books: one by the commanding officer of a British unit known as Popski's Private Army, Lt. Col Vladimir Peniakoff (a Belgian born of Russian parents), and the other by his second in command, Park Yunnie. The unit, after operating in North Africa, went on to spend the majority of the war in Italy, working quite often with Italian resistance groups.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn