Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fur felt fedora for $24.50 ???

Spellflower

Practically Family
Complete with a soft cotton sweatband! But seriously, this looks like a much better option than the "lite felt" wool junk that sells for twice as much.

:eek:fftopic: I'm getting really sick of seeing people pluralize "fedora" by adding an apostrophe and s. Please, everyone, think back to third grade and remember that apostrophes are used to denote possession or to replace one or more letters in contractions. They are NOT used when pluralizing a noun that ends in a vowel, no matter how awkward it looks to put an s directly after a vowel!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Spellflower said:
:eek:fftopic: I'm getting really sick of seeing people pluralize "fedora" by adding an apostrophe and s. Please, everyone, think back to third grade and remember that apostrophes are used to denote possession or to replace one or more letters in contractions. They are NOT used when pluralizing a noun that ends in a vowel, no matter how awkward it looks to put an s directly after a vowel!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

GRAMMAR NAZIS OF THE WORLD UNITE! We must liberate the apostrophe from its oppressive abuse!

...that really is a terrible hat, but you're right. At least it's not wool. However, the feather is the first thing I'd fix on it.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wingnut said:

...that really is a terrible hat, but you're right. At least it's not wool. However, the feather is the first thing I'd fix on it.

Hey, c'mon, ya'll are all too harsh. if it didn't have just a two inch brim, I'd pick one up meself at that price. I have paid more for worse, is all I am saying...

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:
Hey, c'mon, ya'll are all too harsh. if it didn't have just a two inch brim, I'd pick one up meself at that price. I have paid more for worse, is all I am saying...

Even with a 2" brim, it is not a bad looking hat. My guess is that it is either (1) a TONAK (aka Burlington Coat Factory), made in the Czech Republic, or (2) a JAXON, made in China. I like Tonaks, and Indycop is a big fan of Jaxons. Even if it's something else, it ought to be worth the price of admission. :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hey, it looks like a great intro hat! We get asked quite frequently about where to find such a hat, and here one is at a nice price.

The Wingnut said:
GRAMMAR NAZIS OF THE WORLD UNITE! We must liberate the apostrophe from its oppressive abuse!

:eusa_clap I was about to insert the original cartoon in black and white when I went back and clicked on your link! I've had a printout of it since I was stationed in England.

Further down the page you'll find where that extra apostrophe was supposed to be and isn't! That sort of thing drives me nuts.:p

Cheers,
Tom

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Is it an accepted FL maxim upon that a 2" brim is a no-no?

I picked my first (and only, so far) fedora without asking the brim width (or measuring it), but I knew I wanted to avoid a super-wide Indy-esque, adventurer-style brim. I wanted something more like the hats I see in 1930s movies, not pictures from the 1940s.

I have a fairly narrow face (not as narrow as it used to be, but still) and found that a narrower brim was better for me.

And the hat I ended up buying, as it turned out, has a 2" brim.

Is that so wrong? Not all of us want to look like a 1940s archaeologist.

myhat.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not at all. It's all what looks good on you, and what style you like.

I love '30s short brim hats, with 2 or 2-1/4 inch brims, but don't personally look all that great in '60s hats with the same brim width. Crown taper, and shaping makes a big difference in the look of a hat, I think more so than brim width.

And as far as hats in the belfry quality goes, My dad had one, they still carry the model from the late eighties, and it was a decent hat. Nothing fantastic, but was nice felt. But things could have changed since then.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't buy one for myself, but this sounds like a great hat for kids...even if it's slightly large! If only they made the smaller sizes in brown. Can't have everything though. I'm measuring my son's head tonight!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
Is it an accepted FL maxim upon that a 2" brim is a no-no?

It may seem that way. As I remember, however, the concensus was that " anything less than 2 inches is a stingy brim." (A working definition, which is not necessarily a value judgement.) While a majority may favor 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inch brims, we do have a wide range of tastes represented here, from stingies to cowboy hats. I'm personally getting reaquainted with 2" brims. :)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The fur could be rabbit which is cheap and plentiful. Maybe Nutria. Certainly some hats are fur as noted by the Bogart hats stated in wool and fur priced accordingly. Brims on these are right where they should be 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 inches.:) Guess the only way to see their quality is for someone to buy a hat.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Aerol said:
Here's a link of great value: http://vtbsd.net/english/

lol

I have to admit, though, I've undoubtedly made some of these mistakes before. :eek: Not even grammar Nazis are infallible.

On a sadder note, I don't believe some of my English teachers knew all of these (the difference between effect/affect and who/whom are great examples. I had to work those out on my own).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw