Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A gift from Mr Maltby - My very first vintage fedora!

MattJH

One Too Many
Backstory:

After making my first (and only) fedora purchase on eBay, I made a thread about it because I was surprised that a hat in my size (61cm - 63cm, depending) went for so low. When I received the hat, it turned out that the seller had perfectly measured the outside circumference of the brim instead of the inside. I emailed the seller describing what he did wrong, but told him I wasn't going to pursue it any further and leave it at that.

Then I got my first private message here ever, from Mr Maltby, who took a kind and gentle sort of pity on me. He decided to give me a gift, and no matter how many times I offered to send him reimbursement, he'd have none of it. A Stetson Sovereign in 7 5/8, he says, and sent me pictures of it. I even made a thread about it asking what people thought of it. More of a curiosity thing.

Today I come home and there's a box on my doorstep, and what's inside? The good 'ol Stetson Sovereign complete with its very own hatbox! And it FITS! It's a tad bit snug, but nothing I can't deal with -- it leaves a minor mark on my forehead, but it feels like if I wear it enough, it'll eventually stretch out a bit. It's 100% wearable. I donned it for my daily walk-the-dog-around-the-block chore already, even, but before I did that, I took pictures. I still have my coat on from work -- I was so excited about the hat that I forgot to take the thing off.

This is a HUGE, PUBLIC unabashed THANK YOU to Mr Maltby! What a selfless gesture this was, and it's one I will never forget. Pay it forward, indeed.

These pictures are of the hat straight out of the box and on my head. No shaping or doting other than snapping the brim down in the front. Not sure if I'll keep the feather or not. Great condition! No idea what year it's from. Maybe the experts do. Nonetheless, this is a very comfortable hat -- extremely soft.

stetsonsovereign2.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice lid and I'm glad it fits you! If I were you I would keep the feather, adds some nice style to it.
Billy

MattJH

One Too Many
On second thought, I'm going to get it professionally stretched down at South Street Hats (formerly Dietz Hats) in Philadelphia.

epic610

One of the Regulars
While you are at it...

could you possibly give us a report on South Street Hats and the work they do. a number of members, myself included, live not too far away.

MattJH

One Too Many
Absolutely. I'll bring a digital camera, too, and post some pictures. I called them today and they said they'd be happy to stretch the hat free of charge, so there's a thumbs-up already.

MattJH

One Too Many
epic610 said:
could you possibly give us a report on South Street Hats and the work they do. a number of members, myself included, live not too far away.

I'm so sorry -- I forgot my digital camera as I had promised! Nonetheless, Oscar at South Street Hats (formerly Deitz Hats) is one heck of a host. He stretched my Stetson Sovereign until it fit perfectly. I don't know what kind of machine he was using, but it basically looked like a steam engine with a ring on the top where you place the hat.

They have far more hats in the store than they have physical room for them, and the place has more of an atmosphere of an old school barber shop than anything else. I had a good time chatting it up with everyone in there while I waited. There were all sorts of people from all walks of life and everyone was having a good time. It was something else.

Unfortunately, I spent so much time talking to everyone that I didn't get a chance to go through all of their hats -- especially since a lot of access was blocked by stacks of unopened boxes. I only remember seeing Dobbs and Tonak, although there were plenty more I couldn't even reach or get near. They have ever color imaginable. Prepare to shuffle around with your arms close to your sides, and prepare to be greeted warmly.

Oscar also gave me a brief history lesson -- the Stetson Sovereign I have is "about 20 years" old, and was part of the Stetson Charger line. He says that a Stetson Sovereign is basically a top-of-the-line Stetson Charger, and he complimented me on it -- thanks again, Mr Maltby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR