Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good all round hat for a summer holiday?

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Im getting this one in asap as summer is only a few paypackets away and saving for a hat deserves some planning and scheming to sneak it past the wifes hawk eyes.

Anyway, Im going away in July to one of the Greek Islands with the wife and two kids. I wont be taking a damned awful baseball cap so need a good style fedora that I can put with casual clothes, even shorts (generally I wear cargo style anyway) or with slacks and a shirt. Now I dont want to look like Beloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark, or some quaint old english chap acting twice his age, nor do I want to look like sad dad trying to look like a geek.

This is no easy task gents. I want a summer hat, so throw in your comments and have a bash (ho hum):rolleyes:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Sharpetoys is right.

Panamas are great warm weather hats because they can look good with a suit or on the beach.

But you don't necessarily have to spring for a Montecristi. Robert has some nice Cuencas on his site, too. I think there are enough different blocks available there that you should be able to find something you like.

MattC

A-List Customer
How hot is it (and what will you be doing)

Panamas are the best all around summer hat. But if you'll be at the shore with the kids, you want to be careful. Water is death to a Panama (well, if not death, serious injury). If its not too hot, a linen or cotton cap or a lightweight felt is fine as well.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Its probably because I have never seen myself in a panama. Im sure I would be just as fantastic looking :rolleyes: as I am in a fedora. (And my hat size will increase by many as I disappear up my own..) where was I, ah yes the panama. I'm going to have to try one and see. The other suggestions were good too but just not my thing. I may however just go with an indy fedora, a federation maybe. I dunno.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
I think you'd be good in a panama if it was of the fedora style and not the round topped and ridged type favoured by the old bowling guys in the UK.
Another good one could be the more casual straw hats of fedora shape, usually in a yellow straw shade.
If you can stand the heat (although it's not as hot as it sounds) then a lighter shade fedora might do the trick. One without a liner even better. Maybe get a cheap one off ebay and rip the liner out.
Actually that last suggestion is what I might try if I can afford it. Akubra do some with vent holes and no liner which could be cut down in the brim to make a nice fedora for summer.

Jeff.

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't know exactly how hot it gets where you live but I did just fine wearing a Stetson Open Road while traveling last summer. I thought I was going to have to hang it up and get a straw due to the heat, but I just never found a decent straw hat and decided the Stetson was not all that hot. It being a silverbelly probably helped. If it would have been darker, I think I would have suffered.

epic610

One of the Regulars
i agree about Beloq

that is a cool look. and besides, while travelling jaded travel industry workers might come to fear you . . . and give you a lot better service!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Panama! When you get a real one (even an inexpensive one), you'll marvel at how soft the straw is. I got my first one last summer (Ebay - what can I say?) and really like it. It's now my summer hat and my baseball caps spend most of their time in the closet, unless I'm going to alumni meetings - nothing beats a logo cap for that kind of function.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Montecristi Panama Hat

Here is Fino Fino from Robert Weber. The weave is 2000 weaves per square inch. Art Fawcett did the block for me. He called it the Bogie. This is my favorite of 12 i own. The hat is light as a feather 1 1/2 oz. finished.

http://www.panamas.biz/images/roger.JPG :) :) :)

If it got rain soaked I would just have to have it reblocked no harm to the hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart