Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A hat problem

Maguire

Practically Family
I have been wearing my old fedora more (i've posted it in pictures) and i just noticed the other day that the wire at the back is sticking out and a mess.. i kind of panicked since this is an OLD and priceless hat (for me). My question is should i stop wearing it until i get it fixed, where can i get it fixed or what can i do to save it? Or is this purely cosmetic?

DSCF1389.jpg

DSCF1393.jpg

As one can see the clear wire is sticking out. It usually comes apart but i stuck both ends together to keep some semblence of form. The hat looks otherwise unchanged but i fear this may be the beginning of it becoming shapeless.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The green was caused by a piece of copper, which may have been removed. If the wire you are seeing is not green, that's probably the case. :)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Oxidation

Well I don't think that you can stop it from oxidizing ... it's a combo of age .. salt from your sweat & air... think Statue of Liberty

You can just keep wearing your hat and wipe off the sweat to keep it from building ... treat the sweat with some Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner now and again

----------------
Now playing: Everclear - Bad Connection
via FoxyTunes

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
If the copper has been removed, the green spot won't get any bigger. Fortunately, that copper compound doesn't seem to be harmful to middle aged human males. Wear it in good health.

(Note: I have only had limited success in removing the green stain. I've decided, if it's not obvious when the hat is on my head, I'm not going to worry about it.)

Maguire

Practically Family
Its not the green stain that concerns me but the fact that the wire is bulging out (it is not supposed to be sticking out of the back like that). But so far so good, I shall keep wearing it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I just looked at your picture, again. When I enlarged it, this is what I saw.

DSCF1389.jpg

The stitches in the sweatband have dry-rotted, and about 6" of the reed (monofilament) is protruding into the brim area. The copper ferule is still attached. The hat could use a new sweatband.

However, if you are disinclined to spend more money on it, you can still get a lot of good use out of it. Using a small pair of wire cutters, clip the reed at the two points where it goes back into the sweatband. Throw away the removed section of reed (and the copper ferule). You can now wear the hat, and it will fit exactly the way it did before. If you are handy with a needle and thread, you can try repairing the missing stitches. At this point, it isn't absolutely necessary, but if the stitches continue to break, restitching (or replacing) the sweatband will be necessary. :)

Maguire

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
I just looked at your picture, again. When I enlarged it, this is what I saw.

DSCF1389.jpg

The stitches in the sweatband have dry-rotted, and about 6" of the reed (monofilament) is protruding into the brim area. The copper ferule is still attached. The hat could use a new sweatband.

However, if you are disinclined to spend more money on it, you can still get a lot of good use out of it. Using a small pair of wire cutters, clip the reed at the two points where it goes back into the sweatband. Throw away the removed section of reed (and the copper ferule). You can now wear the hat, and it will fit exactly the way it did before. If you are handy with a needle and thread, you can try repairing the missing stitches. At this point, it isn't absolutely necessary, but if the stitches continue to break, restitching (or replacing) the sweatband will be necessary. :)
Excellent advice- but how much would a hat repair cost and where would i need to go? I'm planning on checking out an "arnold's hats" in the city when i get the opportunity. I can't even tell the sweatband is worn, it looks fine to me but i'll take your opinion over mine on this. keep in mind this hat is ancient and probably well worn

seed

Familiar Face
If it doesn't physically or aesthetically bother you, then you don't need to worry about it right now. You can always get the sweat replaced by a number of sources who will do an outstanding job for a reasonable price at the moment you feel the need. If it does bug you a lot or the damage is progressing, then the time is now. No big deal though...trust me.

As for where... You have Optimo, Art Fawcett, Penman and even AZ-Tex (off the top of my head). They vary in price somewhat (can't remember exactly off the bat), but I think it ranges around $20, plus shipping.

seed

Familiar Face
Oh by the way, unless you are really confident in your abilities, you might want to avoid performing major surgery yourself as one advised. Sorry if I am wrong, but you probably don't have the proper equipment and skill to be sure that it is done right. You can always gain this, but it is up to you whether you want to experiment on this particular hat.

Maguire

Practically Family
seed said:
Oh by the way, unless you are really confident in your abilities, you might want to avoid performing major surgery yourself as one advised. Sorry if I am wrong, but you probably don't have the proper equipment and skill to be sure that it is done right. You can always gain this, but it is up to you whether you want to experiment on this particular hat.
No you are correct. I've taken note of the advice but I'd never trust my butterfingers with needles, thread, or anything delicate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany