Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Killer Hat - now with pics

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you're going to leave some things behind so that people can just look at them and think of you, a couple of good choices might be a Cavanagh hat and an athletic supporter.

JackRubyKillsOswald.JPG

Here's a link to the auction where it was sold.
0538_1_230_400.jpg

Jon Wolf of Triviamania.com shows off the hat Jack Ruby was wearing when he gunned down JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.

JackRubyHat03.jpg

JackRubyHat02.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I wish someone would tell Bruce Willis to stick to acting.
That guy just can't sing.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy...I know the guy that made the photo...he's standing to the left, in the background with the mustache and glasses. He went through some major obstacles to get the rights to use it...

epic610

One of the Regulars
as i have looked at this photo over the years...

i have always been most impressed with the "open road" worn by the police officer in the light colored suit.

duggap

Banned
I don't have an ebay account so I couldn't sign in to see what the hat sold for. How about someone letting us know how much it sold for. Thanks.[huh]

tortswon

Practically Family
Student of the JFK Assassination

I have read an enormous amount of material on the assassination of JFK and I never realized until now that notwithstanding the fact that Ruby clearly is playing guitar with his left hand, he held the gun in his right. Was this an attempt by Castro to distract us from the fact that the assassination was a vast left wing conspiracy by focusing us on Ruby's right hand? He is really a crafty guy. Think I'm going to forward this to Gerald Posner right away. Best, Sam

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Cavanagh Conspiracy?

Hmm, let's see...

JFK was famously given a Cavanagh hat...

His assassin's killer wore a Cavanagh hat...

That's got to figure in a conspiracy theory somewhere.lol

Brad

GWD

One Too Many
tortswon said:
Based upon a report in a Dallas newspaper, the hat went for $61,000.00.

Wow! Now I know what I have to do if I plan on making a profit if I sell my hats on ebay. :eusa_doh:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
epic610 said:
i have always been most impressed with the "open road" worn by the police officer in the light colored suit.

Jim Leavelle

My favorite part of that article is:

"In an episode of The Simpsons-"Mayored To the Mob" Leavelle was the design for the bodyguard teacher. The academy is even titled "Leavelle's BodyGuard Academy."

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Wow! Now I know what I have to do if I plan on making a profit if I sell my hats on ebay. :eusa_doh:

soo....trying...to stay within the no politics rule....
can't help....myself..............................................................

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Jimmy...I know the guy that made the photo...he's standing to the left, in the background with the mustache and glasses. He went through some major obstacles to get the rights to use it...

No kidding! Man, the first time I saw that photo, I just couldn't believe it. It's brilliant, in its own dark way...

CJ -- Did this guy do it for a lark, or was there some commercial reason for pursuing it?

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
It started as a lark...he was the Photoshop guy where I worked...Well a poster place saw it on the web and approached him to put on mugs and such...Thats when the nightmare started...It took a while to get the rights...but it finally worked out and he made a few bucks along with the original photographer...I still love seeing it...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's another killer['s] hat.
_153582_Mussolini300.jpg

Tuesday, August 18, 1998
A boat-shaped hat topped bids at an auction of Mussolini memorabilia.
The black boat-shaped mutz hat once owned by the Italian fascist dictator was sold for £2,300 to a private bidder.

It was among a collection of books, private papers and other effects liberated from Mussolini's personal library by a British pilot at the end of World War II.

Captain H Richard Beck retrieved the items from the abandoned Villa Carpena, near Mussolini's native village of Predappio, when he was stationed there towards the end of the war.

'A piece of history'

His haul, which went under the hammer in Scarborough, North Yorkshire, also included an unpublished photograph of Mussolini and his mistress, books, family photographs and personal letters.

The 57 lots were put up for sale by the late Captain Beck's family and raised a total of £7,500.

Captain Beck's flying log book, with entries referring to his duties at the villa, fetched £850 but many of the items went for between £15 and £50.

Richard Scales, from Leeds, spent just £15 on a newspaper cutting highlighted by Il Duce's pen.

He said: "I don't really know what I've bought, but it's a piece of history for £15. You can't go wrong."

'I'm amazed at the reaction'

After the sale, auctioneer Ian Peace said that as far as he knew, it had been the biggest lot of Mussolini memorabilia ever.

He said: "I'm amazed at the reaction. I had my own estimates and everything has gone really well.

"I'm particularly pleased and amazed with the £2,300 for the hat, it's a lot of money for a hat.

"For a lot of people, it was a chance to pick up a piece of history for not a lot of money."
source

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's another one that I had posted in the ebay thread a while back. The seller pulled the auction after a couple of days.
b508_1.JPG

b9ce_1.JPG

bec9_1.JPG

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
tortswon said:
I have read an enormous amount of material on the assassination of JFK and I never realized until now that notwithstanding the fact that Ruby clearly is playing guitar with his left hand, he held the gun in his right. Was this an attempt by Castro to distract us from the fact that the assassination was a vast left wing conspiracy by focusing us on Ruby's right hand? He is really a crafty guy. Think I'm going to forward this to Gerald Posner right away. Best, Sam

Vlad.....er, Sam....you are a sick man. lol

Actually, the winning bid on www.liveauctioneers.com was $50k. Maybe it was $61k after the auction house took it's cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart