Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Killer Hat - now with pics

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Man said:
Sort of witness to history kind of thing going on here. I would love to see more of these historical hat photos.

Well then, here's a cross post (from the Slow Day thread)
Stetson Hat "Buffalo Bill" Cody

Sale price was $4,250
0287_1_230_400.jpg

Serial numbered (J4666) nutria chapeau with history relating to the famous showman. W F Cody would sell one of his hats away at the end of each season to a friend or relation and this hat was, according to accompanying documentation, purchased for $10 in 1912. This is the style, color, size, and material of the hats that Cody was known to have purchased from Stetson by the dozens, for just this purpose. Cody did prefer this crease and pencil roll to other styles and is pictured in several photos wearing this type of hatRelated Provenance: Letters from Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, Wyoming. Articles, photocopies, etc. relating to Stetson, Cody, and his hats. Ex - Ed Vebell collection.

Here's another. Sale price on this one was $1,500.

W F Cody Hat worn by Buffalo Bill and given to an Advance Agent for the Wild West. This hat, came with the the photos in the last lot and as mentioned before came from the agents family. Letter accompanies the hat. The hat was reconditioned by a hatter in Lancaster, PA in the 1950s
0120_1_230_400.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Possibly the best of all of the killers in the hat world is Stetson. Here's the story, and here's the portion that says it all:

The ten gallon hat should really have been known as a Christy - and might have been, but for a nifty bit of piracy An American hat maker called J. B. Stetson liked the wide brimmed high crowned hat so much he started making his own. Christy's were furious.

Bristol University lecturer John Moore, said:

"Few people know that the ten gallon hat was invented in Frampton Cotrerell but it's well documented in the records of the hatmakers who built and owned the factory last century J. B. Stetson fought a long patent case with Christy's - and lost.

The result was that he had to pay a licence fee to market the famous Stetson hat"

Stetson might have lost, but he won in the long term. That style of hat is known universally as a Stetson, and Christy's role is completely forgotten. So is the company's link with the Mounties.

The famous pointy hat, later adopted by the Boy Scouts and a television lager commercial, was another Christy invention and is still in wide use across the world today But again no one remembers who developed it.

Stetsonian

New in Town
Made him an offer.....

Lefty said:
Here's another one that I had posted in the ebay thread a while back. The seller pulled the auction after a couple of days.
b508_1.JPG

b9ce_1.JPG

bec9_1.JPG

Hey Lefty, I get the feeling someone made the seller "an offer he couldn't refuse" and that's why he pulled the auction early. lol

Jay

Stoney

Practically Family
That is hilarous

Colby Jack said:
Of course the hat looks better in this image!
oswald.jpg

:D :D :D

I've often thought of the same thing, that Oswald looked like he was belting out a Rock song rather than being shot to death. I have to print this one out and frame it. I Know... I have a twisted sense of humor.. but this image has popped into my mind since the first time I saw the orginal photo.

lol lol lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about their authenticity, but these mob hats keep turning up.
From the auction:

e3f9_1.JPG

d17a_1.JPG

This is an original 7 1/8 Dobbs Hat from the wardrobe of Gambino Hitman Roy DeMeo. It is grey with a black band and blue and red flower. Roy always liked a nice hat to top things off. He particularly liked to wear hats around the Ravenite so the feds would have trouble recognizing him. I am selling these on behalf of his son Al DeMeo, the author of the novel "For The Sins Of My Father" see my other auctions. He has provided me with a letter signed by him and notarized stating that the hat was owned and used by his father, as well as a complete description.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Another mob hat goes for big bucks.

From the auction:
You are bidding on a piece of mafia history. This is an original 7 1/8 Dobbs Hat from the wardrobe of Gambino Hitman Roy DeMeo. It is grey with a blue red and yellow band. Roy always liked a nice hat to top things off. It has wear from use. He particularly liked to wear hats around the Ravenite so the feds would have trouble recognizing him. I am selling these on behalf of his son Al DeMeo, the author of the novel "For The Sins Of My Father" see my other auctions. He has provided me with a letter signed by him and notarized stating that the hat was owned and used by his father, as well as a complete description. Since Al DeMeo is in talks to bring his novel "For The Sins Of My Father" to the big screen, These items are already skyrocketing in value. They are really one of a kind and should be the cornerstone of any Mafia Collection. Al DeMeo is maintaining a strict catalog of all items sold on his behalf that were once owned by his father, so as to protect there value and authenticity. See my other auction for a Signed copy of "For The Sins Of My Father", If you win the book and hat or hat and poster I will have Al DeMeo Put a note on the page in the book or on the poster that coincides with the hats year and description excellent for framing . This is the perfect gift for the Mafia collector in your life So Happy Bidding.

On Nov-13-08 at 14:29:45 PST, seller added the following information:
I made a mistake in the listing it is not a dobbs hat

e477_1.JPG

004e_1.JPG

I like that the certificate warns that it cannot be copied for any reason.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kabuto said:
Not only that, JFK's secretary was named Cavanagh, and President Cavanagh's secretary was named Kennedy.

Hmmmmm, maybe my history is rusty but I don't think we had a President Cavanaugh. I think you must mean the Kennedy-Lincoln, Lincoln/Kennedy secretary inversion.

I'd vote for a Cavanaugh though. With all the wasted government money being spent now, I'd gladly let him spend some on real Cavanaugh edges instead of (fill in the blank with your most irritating government expenditure).:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael