Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new impression, finally finished

Cobden

Practically Family
Royal Navy Midshipman. These photo's are me in what would have been worn (as far as I can tell) by a midshipman leading a landing or boarding party.

IMAG0004.jpg

d9f10979.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
Looks interesting..

.. But isn't that what the Ships compliment of Royal Marines was for?

You should do RN Beach Commando.. now that would be interesting too.

Cobden

Practically Family
A Midshipman is a rank unique, I believe, to the Royal Navy (although many countries use the term Midshipman for other purposes - eg the US uses the term for Naval officer cadets), and is, for all intents and purposes a Warrent Officer Second Class; however, as opposed to having come up through the enlisted ranks, they held/hold the warrant at the beginning of their career prior to being awarded their commission. For all intents and purposes, they are officer cadets who serve on ships as sort of apprentices (for want of a better way of putting it). There was a Warrant Officer Rank in the Royal Navy as well, for those who had come through the ranks, and these outranked the Midshipmen. Midshipman also messed in the "gunroom" as opposed to the wardroom.Midshipman were also given the nickname "snotties", from the Nelsonic period uniform, when Midshipmen were only 10-14 years old. The uniform had three buttons on the cuffs, supposedly to stop them from wiping their noses on their sleeves.

They were usually put in charge of landing and (especially) boarding parties. I'm guessing this has something to do with fitness or expendibility; and often commanded picket boats.
Scotrace, the boots are just regular navy deck boots, with a pair of cavalry leggings doubling for a pair of naval officers "liquorice sticks",the officers equivalent to the navy gaitors - don't want to get your trousers wet!

mikepara, the Marine's job was to form landing and boarding parties, but a lot of ships didn't have a Marine's complement (I think it really had to be a cruiser or larger; destroyers wouldn't have had them). Also, they were usually not very large, so if a larger force was needed, they would use some of the matelots and a couple of "snotties"

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Man, now I have to get pics of my impression up; I do RNVR Sub-Lt. In both the No. 5 dress uniform and Beach Commando BD. Great fun actually.
Pics coming; I hope!

Cobden

Practically Family
The Lanchester's on a list of "things to get"; but quite low down due to cost!

I beleive there is a re-enactment that has HMS Belfast as a base, and I know that they sometimes fire off one of the guns, but as for guided tours, I'm afraid it's nothing more than a chap in a logoed sweatshirt!

Managed to get some real liquorice sticks, to replace the cavalry things. Unfortunately, they are both right leg ones, so I need to get a left one!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mikepara said:
.. But isn't that what the Ships compliment of Royal Marines was for?

You should do RN Beach Commando.. now that would be interesting too.

Mike,

Not the RN but think of the boom attack scene in "The Sand Pebbles" or, for a slightly earlier period, the attack on the Pasha's palace in "The Wind and the Lion".

In the former the gunboat was too small to have a Marine contingent.

In the latter they had several USN capital ships in the harbor but still needed to pull landing parties of sailor's to make up the numbers (and run the MG's), there weren't enough Marines on hand.

Interestingly, our Navy is in the process of bringing back "brown water" sailors and training them in infantry tactics to perform some shore duties and ship boardings.

Story

I'll Lock Up
FWIW, the (USN) Blue Jackets' Manual, up til at least 1943, had heavily illustrated shore landing party drills.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Lanchester

Cobden said:
The Lanchester's on a list of "things to get"; but quite low down due to cost!

I wouldn't sweat the Lanchester. As a midshipman you'd most likely behave like an officer and not carry an SMG. The Webley and lanyard is completely appropriate.

Alan

Cobden

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
I wouldn't sweat the Lanchester. As a midshipman you'd most likely behave like an officer and not carry an SMG. The Webley and lanyard is completely appropriate.

Alan

Aye, I also do Able Seaman occaisionally which is what I want the lanchester for, but I prefer portraying a snottie (largely because I'm stuck to using public transport to get to events, and the officers gear is easier to disguise on a train then square rig!). A real webley is high on the list - that one I have is...erm...made of wood... :whistling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot