Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A nice way to finish my day.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I just thought I'd share this with all of you.

I was waiting for the bus home from class this afternoon, it's cold and windy, and just not a very pleaseant day.
As the bus arrived, I was shoved very rudely aside by another student who wanted to get on the bus, and not only on, he wanted to be first. I rolled my eyes and subsequently waited my turn to board, which was now last, but I heard a fairly stern exchange from the bus driver along the lines of, "Would you have punched her in the face to get on?" and a little later "Just a suggestion for next time"

Now I was a bit surprised that the driver would call someone on their behaviour, rude or not, but when I got on the bus he actually leaned down to me and said, word for word, "I'm very sorry about the rude treatment you just recieved." :eek:
I was stunned, I'm used to rudeness from men, it just goes on around campus, so I didn't get too ruffled, but it was so sweet of the driver to not only stand up for me, but to appologise to me, when there was absolutely no responsibility to do so on his part!

Sadly the bus was too busy for me to say much more than Thank you, that's not necessary, so I couldn't get his name and there was no bus ID:( but when I got home I promptly called the Transit supervisor to report how nicely he'd treated me, I gave as many details as I could about time and place etc.

His little gesture of "old fashioned" manners made my day so much brighter, and I really hope they find him and let him know that his gallantry made a difference to me.:D

I knew you all would appreciate a story of nice manners amidst the bad stories we are more used to seeing, so I figured I'd share this one, maybe he's a lounger too.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
That's so sweet of him!

It's absolutely appalling how rude men can be to women these days. I was carrying a big heavy tripod in one arm and a heavy suitcase with video equipment in it the other day, and it was obvious that I was struggling to keep from falling, and not a single guy held a door open for me. I was very peeved!

Well, at least there are still some gentlemen around, your bus driver is certainly one of them!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, he sounds crushworthy. :)
I was astounded the (luckily) few times men have been rude to me. I heard a theory I agree with as to why men are not rude to women that can't be discussed in this forum, so I am interested but dismayed that y'all take it for granted a man will be rude and indeed regularly encounter such rudeness. What is this world coming to? Mean jerks.
No wonder we love animals.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well I think part of it is that equal opportunity thing. Why open a door for a lady, shes my equal, she can do it herself. Thus, not many guys have been taught to distinguish that from just being a gentlemen. I think there seems to be some stigma to it.

Then there are some girls who will bark at a fella for opening the door for them.

Guys seem to have it bad on a lot of ends. I say just grin and take the bullets fellas. There are a lot of ladies who love it :D

LD

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
It's absolutely appalling how rude men can be to women these days. I was carrying a big heavy tripod in one arm and a heavy suitcase with video equipment in it the other day, and it was obvious that I was struggling to keep from falling, and not a single guy held a door open for me. I was very peeved!
QUOTE]

It is indeed appalling that what used to be considered basic manners seems to have gone by the wayside. Unfortunately, there are those women who discourage such niceties. There have been times when I've held the door open for women and received a rude comment in return, as though I had insulted them. I usually just smile, bid them a good day and move on.

I think it's good manners to hold the door open (or to open the door for) anyone with their hands full, or the person about to come through the door, or just behind me, for that matter, man or woman. I will admit to making a bit more of an effort to get to the door first if it's a woman, though. :)

Cheers,
Tom

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Reminds me I need to stop talking to the nice bus drivers.....

One kept forgetting to stop because I was having an engaging conversation that actually interested him. lol

Oops...

I have met plenty of nice bus drivers. The passengers on the other hand....well...

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Emmababy said:
candadoll's got a cruuu-uush :D

If he were my age? heck yes!lol But he wasn't.

I just really liked the fact that he just stood up and called someone out on how rudely he'd just treated someone, that's the only way good manners will become fashionable again.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Its just as awesome of you to call and report his kindness. Thats great.

LD

That's sweet of you to say Lady Day, it's just a small way for me to say "thank you" to him.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Then there are some girls who will bark at a fella for opening the door for them.

LD

Tango Yankee said:
It is indeed appalling that what used to be considered basic manners seems to have gone by the wayside. Unfortunately, there are those women who discourage such niceties. There have been times when I've held the door open for women and received a rude comment in return, as though I had insulted them. I usually just smile, bid them a good day and move on.

Cheers,
Tom

I've heard about women berating men for holding doors for them, but it's never happened to me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I think the upside of having a lady think well of one for doing so outweighs the downside. ;)

Thanks for relating that story, we really need to hear about positive things like that these days. :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
Thanks for relating that story, we really need to hear about positive things like that these days. :)

My pleasure!:)

It is too bad that, some women feel they need to bite men's heads off the instant they show some courtesy, I can only chalk it up to wanting to feel independant, or being wary of a pick up line.[huh]
I know when I'm falling over under the weight of books and other things I appreciate a door held open.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
pigeon toe said:
QUOTE]

I think it's good manners to hold the door open (or to open the door for) anyone with their hands full, or the person about to come through the door, or just behind me, for that matter, man or woman. I will admit to making a bit more of an effort to get to the door first if it's a woman, though. :)

Cheers,
Tom

That's really quite unfortunate that woman have been rude to you because you offered a kind gesture! I think it's silly to take offense to that, obviously men know women can open doors on their own.

I actually tend to make a lot of men uncomfortable (by accident!) by opening doors for THEM! I just try to be polite to everyone, and I guess it's just a habit. I get lots of puzzled looks from men. Oh well!

To me it's not so much a matter of chivalry, but just being kind to others. There seems to be such a lack of that these days.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I second that notion Pigeon Toe:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Things just seem to go more smoothly when you're being nice to people.

I'm sorry to hear that your gallantry was met with such unappreciativeness Tango Yankee.

Elaina

One Too Many
I've been teaching my son the door thing for a while, it just now stuck.

This afternoon we went out for cocoa on the way home from school. Not much of a treat, the gas station puts them on sale, but he enjoys it. I gave him the money to pay, got out of the car, and wobbled to the door (my lymphnodes in my knees just got treated yesterday, and I can't walk well for about 3 days after) in my flip flops, jacket thrown over the corset and cover, and jammie pants (wow, I should be ticketed for going out like that, but I DID have makeup and hair done, and I had a Dr's appointment earlier to be poked and prodded more). So the boy gets to the door, turns and runs back, helps me to the door and holds it open for me. Then holds it open for an older man(who thanked him, and was terribly old and infirm) and another woman who was in Chanel from head to toe. Lady in Chanel screeches at my son "If I needed a boy to hold my door open, I wouldn't have had an abortion.", slams by my son, knocking him to the side, and stomps past the man, and one really angry mommy (which would be me.)

Before I could open my mouth to say a word, the older man reached down, helped my son to rights and said "you know, son, some women don't appreciate a good man. Let it be a lesson that a pretty package sometimes hides a real ugly person, but being a good man will always pay off." He nodded to me and went about his way, and I figured, okay I'll let it drop. Lady was in and out at that time anyway.

So it does happen. While I don't understand it, it does happen.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
OMG!!!! what a hag!:eek: :rage:
I can't believe someone would say that to a boy who'd just tried to be nice!
I'm sorry that happened to him, Elaina.

The older gentleman had a really good point on what he said, I think your son will keep it in mind for a long time to come, very wise.

It sounds like you've got a very charming son:)

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
What an awesome thing for the gentleman to say to your son (and good for your son for being a young gentleman).

Why is that older guys always seem to have great lines like that right at the tips of their tongues, while I usually end up stammering something stupid like "Don't let her get to you...I think you done good" or something equally dumb?

And I don't have kids, but man, oh, man...if somebody treated MY kid like that there'd have been hell to pay.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The best thing about CanadaDolls story is not that the busdriver showed some sense and humanity. The best thing is, that CanadaDoll made an effort to say thank you and called the buscompany.
Normaly we only call or write to complain. (nag.nag.nag.:mad: )
Giving a man or a company credit is very seldom. Too seldom as a matter of fact.
So CanadaDoll: MY RESPECT!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner