Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Night at the Movies recreation

I went to Target and picked up a 4 film set in the video section. As a regular DVD many prices have dropped considerably with the push for Blue Ray.

One of the cool things is some of the Warner Brothers releases have some great packages of special features to go along with the films.

Here they have commentary and a series of extra films consisting of bloopers and shorts from the time.

On top of those extras several of the WB DVD's of classic films they have a "Warners Night at the Movies" where when you select that and hit "play all" you get the total package from about the same year as the film: a trailer, newsreel, a short subject or 2 and a cartoon and then it plays the film!

So it is like going to the movies way back when you got all of that stuff before the film. For me the nostalgia of such a special feature makes for a great evening. :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That PBS series was Matinee at the Bijou - and it hasn't aired anyplace in a long time. We've discussed it here several times.

I picked up one of those new WB releases this week at WalMart for $5: The Adventures of Robin Hood. It looks to be a single disc pulled out of a recent collector's set for that film (the disc is labeled "Disc One - The Movie"), but it does include the "Warners Night at the Movies" feature that John describes.

So it's not just at Target - be on the lookout for these WB classics discs at rock-bottom prices.

I picked up one of those new WB releases this week at WalMart for $5: The Adventures of Robin Hood. It looks to be a single disc pulled out of a recent collector's set for that film (the disc is labeled "Disc One - The Movie"), but it does include the "Warners Night at the Movies" feature that John describes. So it's not just at Target - be on the lookout for these WB classics discs at rock-bottom prices.

That's good to know! Thanks!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Warners used to have "A Night at the Movies" on some VHS releases. I was glad to see them bring it back for the DVDs. Definately some great shorts.
I wish they would show complete newsreels though instead of highlights.
I bought "Ziegfeld Follies" from 1946 at Big Lots for $3 at Big Lots a while ago and it is loaded shorts and special features.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Many years ago, when all the kids were little, we had a few Nights at the Movies. I had a dvd player that held four discs, rotating around like a lazy susan. I loaded up a disc with some WB cartoons, a disc with the Puppetoons, a disc of the Flash Gordon serial, and then, to keep the kiddos happy, a more recent movie.

Best memory from that time: when I got home from work, the two older kids had made a poster with a list of candy and prices and hung it around the neck of the youngest, who greeted me at the door and recited the available goodies I could get for the movie. Ah, what great days those were...

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Warner has been doing the Warner Night at the Movies on select DVDs for quite some time now. Each of these titles include the movie, a cartoon, at least one short newsreel, and a short subject. The titles that I know of that have been given this treatment are,

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

All Through The Night (1941)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)

Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)

Across the Pacific (1942)

Action in the North Atlantic (1943)

Passage to Marseille (1944)

DESPERATE JOURNEY (1942)

EDGE OF DARKNESS (1943)

NORTHERN PURSUIT (1943)

UNCERTAIN GLORY (1944)

OBJECTIVE, BURMA! (1945)

Warner Gangsters Collection, Vol. 1 - 4 (my understanding is that each film in this collection is a Warner Night at the Movies treatment)

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner