Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Nostalgic Look At Nickelodeon

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
nickelodeon.jpg

Not to be mistakened by the first moving picture theaters of the first half of the 20th century, though named by the same name.
During the 1990's, a television station known as Nickelodeon, which had been founded in 1979 emerged out into our homes, bringing the first kids network into existence. Many other channels were around, showing children like programming, like PBS and USA, but none had devoted an entire station to children's programming. Nickelodeon was the first. Through the 90's, Nickelodeon brought us shows such as What Do You Do, Clarissa Explains it all, but more importantly it's Nicktoons, which aired in 1991. Many of Nickelodeon's shows writer's were as nostalgic as one can be. Little artifacts in each Nicktoon showed this.

Hey Arnold:
heyarnold.jpg

Set in a city almost identical to New York, was the home of a young boy by the name of Arnold (last name never given).
Arnold and his friends, neighbors, and townfolk had the many adventure, some that were strangely familar. Often Arnold's grandpa would tell his stories of his youth, the show flashing back to the 30's, 40's and 50's.
Halley's Comet was featured in one episode, Grandpa's father by his young side.

Every episode ended with a moral, which was NOT your normal cartoon of today. Dino Spumoni, a sort of celebrity in this New Yorkish town, was a has been singer, with a definite Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin type persona. Arnold's Grandpa often talked about him, many with flashbacks of Spumoni's younger days. In one episode, Spumoni stages his own death, yet another strangely familar encounter, and a impersonator errupts his stage as the NEW Spumoni, selling out concerts and breaking music records. You're never a legend until you've died. ;) Arnold's parents were adventurists, traveling the world in search of curing tropical diseases, which is how they met in the first place. This was shown in the last episode of Hey Arnold. He never did find his parents.

Arnold and Jerald even had a "disco" dance episode, when they have dates with 5th graders, when they are only 4th graders. Another character and episode in Hey Arnold was Mickey Kaline(voice by none other than Ron Perlman), a baseball hero whom was also Arnold's, which portrayed Mickey Mantle and Al Kaline. In the episode, "The Baseball", Arnold and his grandpa see Mickey Kaline's last baseball game, before his retires. Much like a baseball movie of the golden era, the episode ends with, Arnold having caught his home run ball, approaches the hero to hand him his infamous ball, but Mickey refushes it. He then asks Arnold if he wants to play catch, and begins a long story of his bygone days as a baseball legend.

A Halloween episode mocks the "War of the Worlds" incident that Orson Welles did on Halloween night in 1938. The episode featured a television host, whose voice mocked Orson Welles, which also voiced The Brain on "Pinky and the Brain", which also featured cameos of Orson Welles. Aliens presumedly invading the Earth, though Arnold and his friends dress as the aliens and are chased by an angry mob of townspeople. Another episode of chinese checkers, which Grandpa was once a master at, is a game between Boris Slasky and Robby Fischer, based on Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky, world champion "chess" players in the 70's.
Hey Arnold is probably one of the few Nicktoons that has so much nostalgia that some of the other shows didn't. I know I am missing much more in just that one show. Here are the next nostalgic Nicktoons.

Angry Beavers:
theangrybeavers.jpg

Norbert and Daggett, two beaver brothers who live somewhere in the forest. There are a few moments and items in this show to my knowledge that are nostalgic. They own and play 8 Track tapes, a media popular in the 60's. In one episode, they send boxtops to a cereal company to obtain great (or so they think) prizes through tubes which is how they send their regular mail and receive it.

In a few episodes, they are watching spooky old horror movies on the television. In a halloween episode, they stumble upon their favorite actor, Oxnard Montalvo (cross streets in Oxnard, CA), a B-movie star, and are blown into a movie that combines every B movie monster that the actor ever made, which being in Black and White, the episode named "The Day the World Got Really Screwed Up!" (The Day the Earth Stood Still). In another episode they encounter zombies in the Dixieland baou. In "Beaver Feaver", they become a sensation in the Disco scene, and a reference and paroady to the Beatles. in "Dagski and Norb" the two brothers are protrayed in a "Starsky and Hutch" type fashion. It's a Wonderful Life is seen in the episode, "It's a spootful life". Norb also drops a snowglobe in a movie called "Citizen Norb" in another episode referring to Citizen Kane.

Norbert and Daggett were also amongst the Nicktoons whom were written in a nostalgic way, als Norbert playing as the Detetive, and Dag playing as the gangster or the villian.

Rocko's Modern Life:
rocko.jpg
filburt.jpg

Taking place on the East coast, on account of the kind of weather shown in the cartoon, this wallaby brought good humor to the television. In many episodes, the show gave reference to Alfred Hitchcock movies. In the episode "The Lounge Singer", Filburt gives reference to songs of the lounge singer, like the song "Come fly with me", and "I've got you under my skin". Rocko's home interior is very vintage, if you take a good look at it. His appliances, like his refrigerator, stove, and toaster are not modern designs. Even Rocko's clothing, as well as Heffers, sporting a Hawaiian shirt and button braces.

Ren and Stimpy: Need I say more?
toastman.jpg

There are many other shows and Nicktoons that gave an nostalgic look that Warner Brothers, Tex Avery, Paramount, as well as other earlier cartoons tended to show (politics, movie stars, parodies, etc)

So after typing all this, let's hear some input if you please! :D

Jay

Practically Family
Ah, classic Nickelodeon. My favorite was still Pete&Pete.

Don't forget that in Hey Arnold, Grandpa drove a Packard.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Uh, it seems a bit soon to be nostalgic for Nickelodeon shows of the 90s... That said, I liked some of these shows and watched them an awful lot with my kids when they were little: Hey Arnold, Clarissa, Pete & Pete, Beavers, Rugrats...

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Uh, it seems a bit soon to be nostalgic for Nickelodeon shows of the 90s... That said, I liked some of these shows and watched them an awful lot with my kids when they were little: Hey Arnold, Clarissa, Pete & Pete, Beavers, Rugrats...

when I say nostalgic look at Nickelodeon, I meant in a classic golden era type of sense. A lot of things that were in the shows were drawn from the past, like Jay had said, Arnold's grandpa drove an old beat up Packard Sedan

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I liked Doug. But I guess I was watching it when I was considered a little too old for cartoons. I remember Double Dare was THE thing to watch when I was in grade school.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I remember Nickelodeon before "They Can't Do that on Television" came out; when they had "Video Comics"; which were color strips read aloud/acted out with voices; the mime who did tricks in front of a black background in-between shows, that awful "Pinwheel" show with a nasty green character named Ebeneezer; and my favorite: a science show hosted by Joseph Campanella. THAT was early Nickelodeon!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Aaaah, good ole Nick!
I never missed the likes of Rugrats, the Adventures of Pete & Pete, the Ren & Stimpy show and some Nick Jr. fare (namely Eureeka's Castle and The Elephant Show) when I was tyke. And boy did I enjoy them nicktoons as I got older (Particularly Ren & Stimpy which got smuttier as the years went by).

It's a shame that the network has taken the road of Spongebob Squarepants and teen fodder like that gruesome Rugrats spin-off. My mother once taped highlights from a day's programming... and I sure wish I still had it.

And another thing - The creator of the Ren & Stimpy show has a blog, in case you'd like to know what this nut (in a good way) has been up to lately: http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Wow! Just mentioning "You can't do that on television" takes me back to my childhood in the mid 80's. On YCDTOTV, the kids would have green slime poured on them every time they said "I don't know". I believe Nickelodeon integrated this into their logo at the time, which still retains this influence (although not green in color). And there was even a time before NickatNite, when the station just went off the air after 8pm.

A quick check on YouTube shows that clips from YCDTOTV and Pinwheel are there. What a blast from the past.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Pete and Pete" was absolutely brilliant -- one of the best bits of strange existential comedy to come out of the '90s, and it's a shame it didn't get wider play.

I was a big fan of "Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon," too -- it was the only place in the '90s where you could see the black-and-white Warner cartoons. Bosko lives!!

Of course, I was much too old to be part of the Nick generation -- I grew up on "The Electric Company!" (Hey you guyyyyyyyyyyys!)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
I grew up on Nick. I actually went to a live show of the touring "Double Dare". Does anyone else remember "Today's Special"? Basically about a maniquin who comes to life at night when department store worker Jodie puts his magical newsboy cap on him? Other characters include the puppets Muffy the Mouse and Sam the Security Gaurd? I have always remembered that show (it was made in Canada but aired in the States on Nick) but couldn't remember the name until high school. I asked my friends about it one day, and they couldn't remember either, until one day about a month later my friend screamed "Today's Special!!!" out of NOWHERE. Everyone else looked like she was nuts but I knew exactly what she meant.
In my family we spent Saturday nights at my grandparents house, which for adultls meant sitting around the table talking, and the kids sat in the living room watching SNICK (that debuted around 4th grade for me) and after that the classics on Nick at Nite. I could tell time by what show was on. As in "Mom, The Lucy Show is on now, can we go home?"

Kim_B

Practically Family
Funny to think that Marc Summers (also a fellow Hoosier!) suffers from OCD and was often working in such messy conditions!

Any one remember "Fifteen," the teenage soap opera of sorts with Ryan Reynolds? Man, I had the hots for him back then, and I have the hots for him today! :)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Kim_B said:
Funny to think that Marc Summers (also a fellow Hoosier!) suffers from OCD and was often working in such messy conditions!

Any one remember "Fifteen," the teenage soap opera of sorts with Ryan Reynolds? Man, I had the hots for him back then, and I have the hots for him today! :)
Never saw that one, I wish I had! You know that face he made in the movie Van Wilder? The one with the mouth and eyes to the side that was goofy and charming at the same time? (That's the best I can describe it) I have an ex who could do that face. It made me swoon.

Elaina

One Too Many
I was the generation that Nick was for. I forgot about some of those shows (and I remember Fifteen, but didn't watch it). My brother and sister and 9 and 8 years older then I am, so I remember MTVs early days with more clarity. If we watched cable I usually lost.

But the very first chick from YCDTOTV with the dark hair looked like my sister at that time. (I come from a really dorky family). I once slimed her because of that show, and that was about the time it got banned in my house.

Not a nick show, but anyone remember the sibling show Marc Summers did on NBC where they had to go through the obstacle course at the end? (I never could do ANY of that stuff. *sniff* My siblings are old. Now they're just dinosaurs.)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
"Pete and Pete" was absolutely brilliant -- one of the best bits of strange existential comedy to come out of the '90s, and it's a shame it didn't get wider play.

Of course, I was much too old to be part of the Nick generation -- I grew up on "The Electric Company!" (Hey you guyyyyyyyyyyys!)

My favorite "Pete & Pete" moment is when "Little" Pete is bonding with his barber, and both are sitting in the barber chairs kickin' back with a glass of that blue Barbicide. Genius!

I remember "The Electric Company" well, the Spider-Man segments were my favorite. However, "Sesame Street" during the Mr. Hooper years were fantastic with the end credits and it's funky rhythms and chimes.

I actually miss certain aspects of the 1970s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner