Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Panama Hat worthy of FDR

Michaelshane

One Too Many
About insurance...The post office told me you have to have proof of the value of the object.They will let you insure it for any amount you want,but good luck collecting.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm with Neil (and I'm sure everyone else) - I'd love to hear any stories you care to share about acquiring that amazing panama. My experience in judging weave count is from pictures here on the Lounge, and I haven't seen anything quite like your hat.

- Edit - I started reading the thread, went away, and HPG and others posted more.

Now I can't wait to hear the outcome of the cracks and, hopefully, an appraisal of valuation.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
I called optimo about repairing the cracks in my panamas,they said panama hats cannot be repaired.Panamabob said they can[huh]
I thought I could see a crack in your hat.I think when they are that old they are very fragile.I really baby mine.

Graham at Optimo said the repair would be to backstop the breaks. A patch of sorts from the inside. If that were done, and the areas burnished down, they would all but disappear from the outside view.

I've heard of breaks in Panamas being rewoven as a repair method, but I wouldn't expect that to be achievable on this one.

For what it's worth, this hat is still very supple and feels quite strong, considering. It just gave at the points where it was most stressed from inverting one half of the crown into the other. Once blocked, I wouldn't expect it to be too fragile for occasional wear.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
Now I can't wait to hear the outcome of the cracks and, hopefully, an appraisal of valuation.

Y'know, with me the value is always in just the cool-ness of a well made vintage item. I don't buy this stuff thinking that I'm making an investment. I figured what I paid was what it's worth since it went up on auction to the world and that was the final figure.

My main interest was in learning, if possible, anything about the weaver, the date-range, and other markings on the hat. But since value suggestions came up, I did start to look at the thing in a slightly different light. That's when I fessed up about the small breaks so that if estimating a value on this is possible, at least all the facts are in the open.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone on the various wavelengths. Please keep it coming. Obviously, I'm very excited about this one...

Michaelshane

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Graham at Optimo said the repair would be to backstop the breaks. A patch of sorts from the inside. If that were done, and the areas burnished down, they would all but disappear from the outside view.

That makes sense,I didn't speak to Graham but to the person who answers the phone.That would be better than living with the open breaks.One of my panamas is over 900 wpsi,I might get that one rebuilt.

jpbales

Practically Family
amazing hat!

I hear hats described as "fine as linen" but I thought I would still be able to tell that it was a panama if I ever were to see one, but after seeing those pics I question myself. That is amazing- one FINE hat!
I'd probably be too afraid to ever wear it, except on few occasions. Looking at the profit margin, I would probably sell it. It's equivocal to winning the lottery.
Haha I doubt there's anyone who can weave finely enough to repair it.
Once again, amazing find!:eek:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
That makes sense,I didn't speak to Graham but to the person who answers the phone.That would be better than living with the open breaks.One of my panamas is over 900 wpsi,I might get that one rebuilt.

Yours is a wonderful hat as well. With that in mind, I owe it to you to closely paraphrase the OTHER thing Graham told me: He said that they are just about the best at this stuff and that it is a rare occasion but that it's possible for a Panama straw with breaks to just unravel when they soak it and block it.

That adds a little tension to the mix now doesn't it!?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jpbales said:
Looking at the profit margin, I would probably sell it. It's equivocal to winning the lottery.

As usual, I bought it to wear it. Not while alligator wrestling, but you know.

Then, after reading a couple of those comments about value I thought that if it had no signs at all of any damage, I'd definitely be considering where I might get the best offer. Not sure what the situation may be now... [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Marc, I was hoping you'd join in here. Thanks for the links. Makes me think my hat may be older than I imagined.

Have you ever seen that steel tube arrangement?

I must be counting vueltas wrong because my hat is around the 2,000 wpi range and very light but I couldn't see forty-something vueltas. Looked like eleven of them to me but I didn't put it up to light. Must not know how to read 'em.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
HarpPlayerGene said:
Have you ever seen that steel tube arrangement?

Nope, but mine came rolled inside its original thick black cardboard tube with a metal lid. The form of the tube and lid are just like yours.

Art Fawcett blocked mine, but I didn't realize until afterward that he'd done me a true favor. Due to the straw's age, delicacy and monetary value, it was a nerve-wracking job for him!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Interesting tip, Kabuto, and thank you. I'll look into it.

It would take some real tension on those areas to extend the breaks. The hat really is not brittle, just so fine that it didn't take well to what was probably repeated and clumsy rolling and unrolling by someone to examine the thing. I won't be putting any stress on it and hopefully it can be re-blocked without disaster striking.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Thank you!!!!

Gene,

It is always a relevation to see such incredibly fine hats this one is THE hat of this year. Thank you for sharing this masterpiece.
The tube seems like some WW2 Wehrmacht gear but what is inside...

Could you kindly do this 1inch by 1 inch window cut from a paper to see what is the WPSI - just for the sake of counting it.
But the colors and the uniform weave are surely a testimony of a bygone era.

All the best and thanks once more for sharing.

Many thanks again

HungaryTom

Panamabob, what do you think, could that hat with this weave be restored by alive weavers or hat finishers- who redo a few errors?

Razzman

One Too Many
Congratulations HPG, I was watching and bidding on that hat from the get-go.
In fact I sent several messages to the seller. They took 4 days to get back to me. I was a bit nervous about bidding high on the hat. It's a fantastic find to say the least. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner