Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Panama Hat worthy of FDR

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
I just had a Brent Black customer solicit me to put up photos of one of Simon Espinal's hats. Not sure what the guy paid and I politely declined. I think he's mad at me now...here was my answer:

> Sorry, when Brent stole my contracts with Simon's
> kids out from under me, I stopped thinking of him as human. No offense to you, but I have no desire to help a
> cretin like that.

What in the world does this have to do with this thread? Enough already!!!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
Got an unsolicited email from someone who wants me to post photos on this thread.

Who cares? As I said, it has nothing to do with this thread. I hate this kind of post from you cluttering up discussions of panama hats. Please stop.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Relevance to the thread

Panamabob said:
His family probably had something to do with this hat.

In other words, the hat we are currently talking about was, probably, woven by a member of the Espinal family. I take it that they are master weavers from a long time back?

Brad

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Simmer down, boys. If you folks begin slugging it out and as a result start to shy away from this thread, I'M the loser for it.

Bob, so you're not the smoothest talker I ever met but that doesn't matter to me. I look to you for information about an amazing art form, and you know your stuff. Good 'nuf for me. :)

I intended from the beginning to draw attention to the name; ARCENTALES. It is stamped into the hat and a "C.A. ARCENTALES" is referenced in the article as the weaver of the FDR hat. I've also read references to a 'Casa de Arcentales" or something similar to that as a source of finely woven Panama hats.

The hats Marc and Sharptoys have share this provenance and seem to date to around the early '20s.

So, would it be fair to deduce that C.A. Arcentales was the weaver and that he probably made this hat in the '20s? If so, what Id like to know is more about him and his operation. If that includes a connection to Simon's family, that is cool and it would make sense judging by the level of expertise.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Wow Gene!!!!!!! Congrats. Not sure I could think of anyone more suited to wear that once its blocked. I'm tickled silly for you:eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
HungaryTom said:
Gene,

I counted some 50 in the vertical direction (along the ruler) where the weave is straightforward and around the same in the horizontal counting the zig-zag way.

I don't know how much is it still flexi or already pergamon like...

Tom

On the weave, I got 47 x 52. If I'm doin' the math properly, that's over 2400 weaves per square inch. :eek:

On the condition of the straw, I emphasize that it is not brittle. It is flexible. Very supple. Floppy. Bendy. Rollable and unrollable. The reason it has small cracks is the result of someone clumsily collapsing it for rolling. Could have been the seller. Imagine that as fine as the weave is when seen flat compared to a usual, nice Panama hat, this hat is also that much thinner in a cross-section. Therefore, naturally, while surprisingly strong, it isn't designed for abuse. People who do not know, see these things and think they are linen fabric. The person who kinked the hat on one side of the crown didn't know any better than to improperly handle it and stress it beyond it's flexible limits. They had no reason to think 'cloth' which feels this flexible would crack. You know there is a method to inverting one side of the crown into the other and rolling a straw hat so as not to cause this kind of damage. If that method had been used the hat would be mint. :mad: It isn't that it is brittle.

I appreciate the input very much - don't get me wrong. I am emphasizing the flexible, supple nature of the straw in this hat because previous posts where I have stated same have been followed by several posts pondering how brittle the straw is that it should have cracked. Just to be clear...

Michaelshane

One Too Many
"Wow Gene!!!!!!! Congrats. Not sure I could think of anyone more suited to wear that once its blocked. I'm tickled silly for you"

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
"Wow Gene!!!!!!! Congrats. Not sure I could think of anyone more suited to wear that once its blocked. I'm tickled silly for you"

lol lol I knew it was comin'lol lol

Neil

A-List Customer
Again: I find all of this interesting. Gene's hat (really interesting), others' comments on Gene's hat (mildly interesting), PB's assertion that the Espinal family was involved with Gene's hat (pretty interesting), PB's assertion that Panama hat vendors screw each other over in Ecuador (fairly interesting). Let's let people talk. There's all sorts of bandwidth.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Neil said:
PB's assertion that Panama hat vendors screw each other over in Ecuador (fairly interesting).

No -- it's utterly boring. Not to mention redundant. If PB has an axe to grind, let him do it on his own bandwidth...

But, out of respect to Gene -- this should be about his fabulous lid, which is exactly the point I was making to PB to begin with...

Michaelshane

One Too Many
On a lighter note...

HarpPlayerGene said:
Which leads me to my other dilemma: For a hat of this pedigree I, on the one hand, think the classic optimo style is apporpriate. On the other hand I have two other vintage optimo crowned hats and they are routinely judged by women to be unattractive.

P1040440_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG] Couldn't help myself...[huh] lol

jpbales

Practically Family
haha I hate to say it, but despite my secret inner desire for an Optimo style panama, it does give off a very "old man" vibe. There's just too many other cooler styles to choose from

Michaelshane said:
On a lighter note...

HarpPlayerGene said:
Which leads me to my other dilemma: For a hat of this pedigree I, on the one hand, think the classic optimo style is apporpriate. On the other hand I have two other vintage optimo crowned hats and they are routinely judged by women to be unattractive.

P1040440_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG] Couldn't help myself...[huh] lol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won't just... aw, okay, I will- that's a great find!
Glad it's in good hands.

HPG, why not post a picture of yourself wearing
an optimo blocked panama and let us see what
all the women are talking about? I happen to know
you have a few such pictures in your photo account.

I am very partial to the optimo block for the very reason
that it looks old fashioned and just a touch awkward.
Like people from that day appear to us today in pictures.

Chinaski

One Too Many
After reading through this thread, I'm torn between seeing you wearing that probably once-in-a-lifetime panama and doing what you want with it, and the advice of keeping it pure for a collector for possible sale. I'm sure you will weigh Graham's feedback heavily.

A question for the group: What would a collector want? Would he want the hat as is, unblocked, or something else? What could be done to the hat that would be value added?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner