Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Panama Hat worthy of FDR

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

Yes I know (AlanC/Analogist)but I was talking to Gene, about Gene. Gene. That's Gene.
Maybe it's Genetic.

I still kinda feel that a straw hat with a C-crown, or other typical Fedora style block is a straw hat imitating a felt hat. And... of course, that the Optimo is a good straw block/style, being really, a specifically straw hat block/style. And since were talking about classical straw...
It's not a strong feeling but what do you think about that..?

B
T

TES

New in Town
I am new to your forum and have enjoyed visiting from time to time. Gene's hat is really something extraordinary. Out of respect for him, and for such a find, I would have started a new thread but wasn't really sure how. You really can still find such a thing new and I recently purchased something similar woven by Simon Espinal. I couldn't get on the forum the other day and I tried to inquire of Panamabob whether he would post some photos of it for me ( since I could get to his email address ). He declined, kind of intemparately. All I really want to do is show you the "mythical 30,000 USD" hat, and allow you to comment in the interest of the art. And don't worry about hurting my feelings...yes, I paid a lot for it...but to suppose that the weaver himself didn't capitalize on it is to endorse a falsehood.
I believe forum members can probably access my email info ( I can't yours as far as I can tell, nor post photos ). If someone were kind enough to send me an email note I would be happy to forward photos. Thanks a lot and I look forward to taking part in your engaging discussions about Panamas and everything else.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, TES. You can email me. If you send me photos of your hat, I'll arrange to put them up in the Panama Canal thread. Otherwise, it is fairly straightforward to use Photobucket. So simple, even a harmonica playing caricature artist can do it!

{Edit - mission accomplished so I removed my email link}

buler

I'll Lock Up
Whatta find!

Gene, register me with another "NICE HAT"!

I see reference to the FDR hat selling on ebay, but I found it in the Heritage Auction Galleries. Did it get ebayed after that?

You can register for free at Heritage Auction Galleries, www.ha.com, to see past auction results. See auction 6010 Dec 2008 Signature Collection of the FDR Musuem Auction, Lot 39287. States final sale price as $2868.00.

There are the same pictures of the FDR hat as posted previously, but you can enlarge them to huge images.

B

HungaryTom

One Too Many
buler said:
Gene, register me with another "NICE HAT"!

I see reference to the FDR hat selling on ebay, but I found it in the Heritage Auction Galleries. Did it get ebayed after that?

You can register for free at Heritage Auction Galleries, www.ha.com, to see past auction results. See auction 6010 Dec 2008 Signature Collection of the FDR Musuem Auction, Lot 39287. States final sale price as $2868.00.

There are the same pictures of the FDR hat as posted previously, but you can enlarge them to huge images.

B

I saw it both at the Heritage Auction Galleries and e-bay. Maybe they wanted to see which sales channel is the better.
I did wonder a bit how a president's hat was auctioned but that is another issue...
It was put on sale at a historical low or hysterical high - when all the world was awaiting THE END (crisiscrisiscrisis) that's why it went that price I think.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
A good time for me to clarify, for anyone who may have misunderstood my thread title. The vintage Panama hat I recently procured is not the same hat as the one owned by FDR and auctioned off. My hat was, however, woven by the same artist, C. A. Arcentales. That's the only connection, but an important one. Puts my hat in the same league as that worn by FDR. I bought mine in raw, unblocked condition, from a private seller on Ebay U.K.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
I think almost everyone knew that but some entries in The Panama Canal thread and some communications going beyond TFL made me realize there may be a little confusion on that point. :)

So do we have to call you Mr President when we talk to you ???? lol

Seriously, that is kind of neat and a great piece to have in your collection.... Make sure you have that written down somewhere for reference in future years...

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
That's a beauty.... I think a optimo block is the apropiate... look a this what do you think?

optimopanama.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I too would like to chime in saying CONGRATS on your new hat. Very nice indeed! And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
I too would like to chime in saying CONGRATS on your new hat. Very nice indeed! And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Thank you very much, zet'. What really makes it a special experience for me is the appreciation and warm regards from my fellow members here at The Lounge. :) :) :)

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I put a bid in, too. However, I was outbid by someone. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Congratulations!!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, as of 3PM, the hat is on its way to Chicago...

I packaged the heck out of it.

Next thing will be to discuss it with Graham. Then, it should be a week or two before I know how the story ends.

Will update...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner