Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Panama Hat worthy of FDR

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Funny you should write that, TES - I had this image ready to go when I logged in tonight:

crossed_fingers_0thumbnail.jpg

I am more inclined to go with the teardrop with front/side dents and a 7/8" ribbon. If the straw were absolutely unblemished I'd go for the optimo crown, but since there are some small cracks up high on the crown, I want to hide them in the shape of a teardrop block.

With that said, Graham may have advice for me which I haven't considered, so there still may be a surprise in store.

I just hope the surprise isn't that it unravels.

I have faith that Graham is the right guy for the job. I just don't know if the hat knows how good he is.

We'll see...

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've heard back from Pile and.....nothing really (bad grammar!).

que sombrero para bonito de quien es cuantos años tiene quien es la persona que lo tiene en sus manos de la foto .

What a hat (I think!). Who is the owner? How old is it? Who is holding it?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Bob. Yeah, not much info there but not for lack of trying on your part.

---------------------------

rlk, that's some very cool info and it goes with what I learned from recent conversations on the phone with experts in this area.

It seems that the stamp is that of a store so Arcentales is the name of a dealer not the name of a weaver as I had previously surmised.

Also, I am told that pencil signatures and cartouches inside the crown are not by the artisans either. The weavers were, and for the most part still are, illiterate. The pencil marks are that of ownership, not authorship. So, as the hat would leave one set of hands to be sent to another for back-weaving, for instance, the owner of the hat would mark it to ensure he got the same hat back. Then, he'd sell it up the line and the next owner would send it to the next artisan for the next step, etc.

Are there source files in a larger size or higher resolution for the postcards?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
UPDATE

Well, my hat is in Chi-town and Graham called me today.

"Amazing,... extraordinary,... exceptional,... museum,... awesome," were among the words he used in characterizing this piece.

And he's willing to work on it. I was prepared for the possibility that he might decline if it was too risky.

Due to tradition and my size requirement, he properly convinced me to go with the optimo crown shape. Due to its natural dimensions, this hat will have quite a full crown and brim so we'll see if it works on me or not when I get it back.

Even if this hat doesn't suit me as a wearer, I"ll be proud to own it as a display piece.

{But I sure do hope I can wear it once in a while....}

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations!
This is such a great story, and I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

RBH

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, my hat is in Chi-town and Graham called me today.

"Amazing,... extraordinary,... exceptional,... museum,... awesome," were among the words he used in characterizing this piece.

And he's willing to work on it. I was prepared for the possibility that he might decline if it was too risky.

Due to tradition and my size requirement, he properly convinced me to go with the optimo crown shape. Due to its natural dimensions, this hat will have quite a full crown and brim so we'll see if it works on me or not when I get it back.

Even if this hat doesn't suit me as a wearer, I"ll be proud to own it as a display piece.

{But I sure do hope I can wear it once in a while....}

Yeah... like you wont wear it....... :D

That will be the day... I dont think think you have any hats you dont wear!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
It was an Ebay.UK item. Paid $135 USD. :D
Gene,

In case of doubt and worries, you should handle this hat at its market value you paid for 135 USD.
Marc Chevalier and Sharpetoys also obtained their vintage fino fino panamas for similar prices: few hundred USD. I hope that helps:D

Regards>

Tom

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
As I recall, Sharpetoys won his on eBay for about $35. It's the most profitable vintage hat purchase I've ever heard of.

Yeah, I thought I remembered his being in the two-digits. It can happen.

----------------------

Well, I am anxious to see how she turns out and I will certainly wear it but not in risky, rainy, wild party situations. Hmmm,... that rules out a lot of the times I leave the house. :p

There is a cruise coming up in early September where I'll be joining our very own IndyCop, DeeLovely, their girls, and BobC, and his wife, Kim. I think that's a suitable occasion but I'll probably stay away from the rail if those ocean breezes are blowing.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
There is a cruise coming up in early September where I'll be joining our very own IndyCop, DeeLovely, their girls, and BobC, and his wife, Kim. I think that's a suitable occasion but I'll probably stay away from the rail if those ocean breezes are blowing.
No don't even think about wearing it on the top deck!!!:eek: lol But it will be perfect at the Cadillac Lounge !!!!:D :D :D :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, I am anxious to see how she turns out and I will certainly wear it but not in risky, rainy, wild party situations. Hmmm,... that rules out a lot of the times I leave the house. :p

Warning ...warning...Dr Smith ...warning...lol :eek: :eek:

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
As I recall, Sharpetoys won his on eBay for about $35. It's the most profitable vintage hat purchase I've ever heard of.

I mean it was the price of the blocking or better said restoration of all the 3 fino finos which is more expensicve than the initial hat purchasing price making them a few hundred dollars in terms of expenses for the lucky owners.
Kudos to all three of you!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner