Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Question of Style

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
In the opinion of the learned and experienced members with impeccable taste, what would be the best hat to wear with a navy blazer (Single breasted with scrimshawed ivory buttons) over an open collar shirt and khakis (Bill's)? Sperry topsiders of course for footwear.

In other circumstances, I would wear my Montechristi Optimo but, unfortunately, it was buried at sea at lat. 45N, long 148W after a storm soaked everything in the boat. :( It was the only hat I ever needed while I was in the tropics but it may not have been appropriate anyway here in the Pacific Northwest where the sun never seems to shine and certainly not this time of year when cold rain is the norm.

A yachting cap is out of the question

NonEntity

Suspended
Orvil,

I could suggest so many hats that it would break the bandwidth here, but. given that you're piloting a boat in the elements in the damp Northwest, I'd go with an Akubra Snowy River. It's made of an extremely durable fur felt, and the 3 1/4-inch brim will keep sun and rain off your face and shoulders. With a low, 4-inch pinched telescope crown, it's less likely to blow off, and it's made with chin strap hooks that I'd strongly recommend you afix a strap to to make absolutly sure it does not suffer the same fate as your Monte Christo.

It's a very good-looking Aussie stockman's style, broadcasting both ruggedness and taste, and in fawn color, will coordinate nicely with navy blazer and Bill's Khakis. David Morgan, www.davidmorgan.com, 1-800-324-4934, which is right there in Seattle, carries the Snowy River priced at $104.

You might check out the Akubra Banjo Patterson, as well, personally my preference, but it does not have chin strap hooks. Can you say "dunk?"

Jovan

Suspended
Why not a straw boater hat? One of those would probably look smashing with the outfit you described. I don't own one myself so take my suggestion as you will, but I will as soon as summer rolls around for sure. I've seen a few Loungers wear them with great confidence and panache.

Josephine

One Too Many
NonEntity said:
...I'd go with an Akubra Snowy River. It's made of an extremely durable fur felt, and the 3 1/4-inch brim will keep sun and rain off your face and shoulders. With a low, 4-inch pinched telescope crown, it's less likely to blow off, and it's made with chin strap hooks that I'd strongly recommend you afix a strap to to make absolutly sure it does not suffer the same fate as your Monte Christo...

wow.
inlove.gif

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I should have specified

This would be for wear ashore. No one would wear a blazer sailing a boat of less than 90 feet at the waterline these days.:rolleyes:

While sailing I find the hat pictured in my avatar, a waxed canvas sou'wester or a baseball cap (1957 Brooklyn Dodgers replica by American Needle, one must have some standards after all) most practical.

Oh, ,and Jovan: I like the idea of a boater. Bears looking into but I'll need to explore protective storage options.

Any hat I buy, however, must be durable, optimally, able to stand a wetting as anything on a boat is subject to get soaked sooner or later.

Jovan

Suspended
You need something as durable as that 100 year old homburg (?) found under the sea that was posted in a thread here. Man, that was something else... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran