Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A quick question from a new vintage hat wearer/owner

Randy

Familiar Face
I have worn caps for some time now, but just purchased my first vintage hat and I have a quick question, well two actually, that I was not able to fully answer searching the threads here. I like the color of this hat, and it really does appear to be in very good condition now that I have it in my hands, and it fits well, although it would likely fit better if it were a long oval, but I don't think that that will be a great problem in the long run. Still, there are two things that I am not certain about: the brim (specifically the front) and the lack of a bow on the band.

This is a profile of the hat in question

4607_1.JPG

I personally prefer, greatly, the look of a downward sloping brim, as it is pictured here, but the way the felt 'feels' when I snap the brim down gives me the impression that the brim was intended to be snapped up instead, much like this similar looking hat

8da5_1_sbol.JPG

Also, while I have your ear, can anyone venture a guess as to whether the bow is missing from this hat, or were there perhaps styles of band that did not feature a bow? I personally have not seen a hat missing a bow before, but like I stated above, I am still learning.

If anyone could shed some light on these issues, just briefly, or perhaps point me to a good source of information that I overlooked, you assistance would be greatly appreciated. Besides not wanting to look odd, I would like to better understand things of this nature, and until my copy of Scientific Hat Making shows up, this forum is my primary source of information on all things hat related.

thanks very much in advance!

- Randy

EDIT: I may have found the answer to my first question here, but any further comments would still be welcome!

- R

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I have read the thread you have found, and it deals adequately with the snap brim question, so that would be it.

Regarding the "missing" ribbon bow, the one on your hat looks to be a purposely designed ribbon, without a conventional bow. There are many kinds of bow-less, or not conventionally bow-equipped, ribbons, yours is one of them; I believe I have seen this style called "one way". I have a similar one on a Beaver brand hat of mine:

Onewayribbon.jpg

Regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy