Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 'real' beginners' attempts at hat restoration...(pics)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
YES...Even some Bartenders of many years standing can be real beginners and simpletons when it comes to turning an old hat around and attempting a simple restoration.

I'm a point in case folks! but you have to start somewhere I guess...

I have no gadgets like a hat stretcher or special irons or tools, I don't even have Oxyclean : so where on earth do I start I asked myself. Believe me, this is very basic with a 'can do' attitude!

Well it looked pretty dirty, this auld hat that a kind member more-or-less gave away to me. There were dead insects on the inside of the sweat band and yellow stains on what was meant to be a grey felt. Even the ribbon had accumulated stains. I thought the ribbon was a lovely gold until I took it off and saw that the underside was grey!!

As I said, it was like a wee piggy that had been rolling in mud, so...into a basin of water it went (after carefully removing the lining and the ribbon). Scrub-scrub-scrub with a stiff brush I use to clean potatoes with (yep, typical man I hear you cry!! ) and some detergent . See how we men just think outside the box!!!:

That water was thick brown, and remained so even after three changes!!

Then did the same to the ribbon.

I was lucky enough to have a demo head, which I pulled the wet hat onto after giving it a good hand-wringing to get the water out. Told you this was VERY BASIC!!

Once it had been left to dry 'abit' in the sun of my summer room, I took it off and popped it on my head to see if I had turned a US 7 into a US 7 1/8. Hey Presto, the auld magic had worked.

Of course there was some work to do yet, as I looked like and extra out of Lord Of The Rings at this stage with the hat all popped UP!!

I remember hearing some of you gents would iron your felt, so up goes the ironing board and out comes the iron. I ironed this baby around the rim and then the crown (as well as I could, really needed a little iron ). Hey, it's looking more like a hat now.

The crown I shaped by hand, trying out a diamond and then a 'C' on it just to see what I preferred. So it's sitting doing the final 'dry out' as is the ribbon. Just at room temp so it doesn't have a massive shrink!! (A massive Shrink is what I need I think!!:eusa_doh: ).

But now I'm thinking...let's lift this hat a little bit with slightly different grossgrain ribbon. The grey is just too camoflauged and boring.

SO...any kind souls out there help me with a vintage 'gold' coloured ribbon that would be enough to go around this 7 1/8 with some to spare to create the side bow? please....PM me if you can.
More pics to follow as this develops. Can you tell I'm having fun??;)

animator

One of the Regulars
This is a really fun post. You are braver than I am!

The picture of the un shaped hat on your head is priceless. I kind if like the "mountain" hat look.

Flieger

Practically Family
Amazing transformation and a very good job, sir. After reading half-through I was sure the ending was going to be a tragedy... but it wasn't! Looks like hats are more resilient then we sometimes tend to give them credit for.

Thanks for bringing another one back to life Paddy. :eusa_clap

/F

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
:eek: I destroyed a resistol's sweat dunking it in water...found that it was some form of cardboard, rather than leather...[huh] ...Wonderful job so far!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Paddy, Welcome to the "Don't Try This at Home" Club. If you have a bit of skill, and you are careful and patient, it is amazing what you can do yourself.
You, sir, have surpassed amazing. Not only does it look great for a first attempt, it looks great, period! Anybody would be pleased to wear that hat. I've just got one question, Why did it take you over four and a half years to try your hand at something you seem to have done so well? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
Nicely done Paddy!

I've done a few like that myself and have found that you can stretch the hat on a block 1 size smaller than the hat, to make up for the sweatband that is installed, and let it dry for about a day and a half on the block. This ensures that no taper sets in as the felt dries. You can pick up blocks on ebay fairly cheap, sometimes if you are careful, I picked up a block, with a flange, about two weeks ago for around $25.00

Congrats and keep up the great work!

:eusa_clap

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:eek: I'm in awe Paddy! I love doing this type of "dive right in" projects, and it's great to see yours! I want to see it on your head again! (not the LOTR version tho, lol!)
Nikki

HungaryTom

One Too Many
DIY Autochton

Paddy,

If it was up to you all the hatters of the wold could starve to death - their only luck is that most people are not that creative like you!

The question: how did the rinsing affect the feel of the hat felt?

Regards:

Tom

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's not over yet...

...I've been ironing the lining, treating the leather sweat band and put the call out on the Lounge for some vintage ribbon (trying bronze or gold) as a contrast to the grey felt (the original grey ribbon is just lost on the hat).

The felt 'after' the mulitiple washes is very much softer. I'm not sure if I should have stiffened it abit by putting some stiffiner in the water [huh] (not sure what or where to get it, but it's not a major issue on this first one).

The hat is 'far' from perfect folks and there's areas of it that I would like to perfect, but I just don't have the equipment to be honest and have just used everyday household items to help me.

But I'll get a decent 'beater' out of it, which is 'just fine' by me :D

I'll update when the ribbon comes through to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR