Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A timely reminder of why I like the Fedora Lounge so much

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You guys have passion, for hats, for flight jackets, for the vintage lifetsyle, for a waning etiquette, and a dedication to enjoying the timeless style of the Golden Era that is sadly lacking in this part of the world nowadays.

Here in Australia, the women of the vintage scene, the cross-over Swing/Rockabilly subculture, have it right. They look glamorous and gorgeous. They have a passion for their music, furniture and clothing. The guys? Well, depressingly, with the exception of one or two, there are no Chevaliers, Deckards or Wild Roots living in this town.

It's so disappointing when some fellow inquires about one of my suits. If it's vintage, more often than not he'll tell me that it's too much effort to go looking for vintage clothing. If it's tailor made, and I have very good tailor, the price is too much to pay. I must tell you at this point, that a half-decent modern suit in Sydney will set you back at least AU$1500. My tailor makes suits for me for $400 if I provide the material, or a suit made of good English wool picked from his suppliers for $600-$700 ($800-$900 for a three-piece). He's made me Hollywood suits, zoot suits, you name it. But again, for the allegedly vintage aficionados here, even $400 is too much, let alone the strain it would take for them to go looking for their own fabric or make the trip out to my home town, a 50 minute drive from the Sydney business district.

I don't expect them all to be examples of sartorial elegance, but seeing as they're into the whole scene and lifestyle, and they clearly covet my vintage/vintage-styled wardrobe, I find it sad that they find a little effort too much work to put in to achieve their own Golden Era style. Hence, I enjoy the company of my fellow Loungers even more, people who really do have a passion for vintage finery.

Just venting a little frustration here, folks. Thanks for being inspiring and reminding me that there is a retro world outside of Levis 501s and thrift store Hawaiian shirts made in the 80's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran