Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Vintage Manifesto

Weston

A-List Customer
I dearly wished I wrote better, as such this will be clumsy and poorly phrased, but I want to get these thoughts on paper (so to speak).

I love vintage stuff and have had a ton of fun converting my office to a '60s theme. However, during my work on my office, it's spread to my home as well. The furniture is so well made, and so stylish, nothing matches it. I've started to pick up more and more pieces - in the hope of converting my entire house with the beautiful, low lying solid wood pieces of the 50s.

I've come to understand that old stock items built 40 years ago and unused are worth far more than the junk shop prices charged for them. Some new items I've bought for more have been broken before I open the package.

The stuff that's made in the USA is not just a nationalism trip - it's quality goods made to last a long time by someone who was paid a living wage to make them. Families were fed by the labor that was involved in making these items.

We are a nation that is tossing out stuff that can't be replicated at a reasonable price for pennies, and buying MDF junk not worth having at 10-20 times the price. A check of Overstock.com showed a "mid century modern" inspired coffee table - made of MDF for $164. Give me a month at the thrifts and I can do your living room for that with furniture that will outlast that junk any day of the week.

Lastly, and this is the manifesto part: I have the full right to live as vintage a lifestyle as I wish. I was raised on 50's and 60's movies about offices and skyscrapers, society and small towns. So what if I want to live then? I know generations had the ability to enjoy then - I just want the shot they had. I have found my life is much richer and my wallet fuller when I buy furniture and goods that endure and are American classics.

Let the rest of the world keep their "modern stuff" - as long as I've got an Apple computer and BluRay for my Mad Men DVDs, I'm good.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Reading this gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

People don't understand how I can feel an affinity for an era I didn't live in... That's because they have to feel it to understand. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot