Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Help please -- Goodwear, D.D. and more!

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Oliver, did your friend get a Beck 333? Dave posted pics of one on facebook and said it was Italy bound. If thats the one (or even if its a diff model) would your friend mind sharing fit pics here?

Mark

Practically Family
Mark, one quick question for you - was your combat finish in horsehide as well? Dave mentioned that he'll have to figure out a way to achieve the same look with the horsehide as he got with the steer in those photos on his site. He seems confident that he'll be able to do it. Was the "aging" technique similar with your jacket? I really like the color and patina but I think I might prefer a slightly more subtle treatment; at least I plan to let him know that I wouldn't want the leather to look any more distressed than those photos. I would love to see some pics of your jacket, if you wouldn't mind sharing some.

Hi OliverTwist. Firstly, my DD A2 I purchased via Ebay, but I was lucky (at least I think so) as it fitted pretty much me as I would have wanted (not perfect but nearly!). Mine is made from Steer hide. I have always found steer to be much more grainy and a little more forgiving than horse, not better just different. As for the combat clone, initially I was not sure about it as the finish is quite pronounced but it has really grown on me. Kind of instant character/patina without the effort! It is my favourite jacket and one I wear more than any other.

Mistercat

New in Town
dd3.JPG
dd1.JPG
dd2.JPG

Diamond Dave Buco J100

Attachments

• dd1.JPG
    dd1.JPG
    632.6 KB · Views: 312
  • dd2.JPG
    dd2.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 294

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have read negative comments about DD's work here. A fair few, actually, I don't rate his work at all. If the OP has the time and patience, he should go with Good Wear.

^ This. I have never seen a DD jacket in person, so I have no firsthand experience. That said, I have read less than positive comments from more than a couple of owners of DD jackets -- I have also seen photos of substandard workmanship. On the other hand, I have also read positive comments about DD and seen photos of good workmanship. Notwithstanding DD's remarkably competitive pricing for Shinki HH jackets, I personally would be reluctant to bite the bullet given his apparent inconsistency.

In contrast, JC/GW produces consistently top caliber jackets. Yes, GW is more expensive, and there is waiting list. Are GW's jackets worth it? IMHO, absolutely! The slightly higher price and longer wait is more than justified by the superlative quality, which will last a lifetime.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am confuse - what's wrong on the first two images?

Magnify a photograph of almost anything and you will find blemishes/imperfections. I used to take macro photographs of watches -- unmagnified, the watch looks great -- magnify the same watch and it looks like its been through a war. Swirls that are largely imperceptible to the naked eye look like they were made with sandpaper when magnified. The same holds true for leather jackets. I would hate to see what my jackets look like magnified 10x.

^ Truth. I had found same imperfections on any of my jackets - and then most of the time I had trouble finding them again. :)

But that is some shabby lining stitching on the last one...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I personally would advise against Diamond Dave. The jacket I bought from him was not made as well as most other brands. I went with a RMC jacket afterward and now am much happier.

OliverTwist

New in Town
Oliver, did your friend get a Beck 333? Dave posted pics of one on facebook and said it was Italy bound. If thats the one (or even if its a diff model) would your friend mind sharing fit pics here?

It was a J-100. I'll definitely ask whether he'd be interested in sharing fit pics on the forum, and I'll let him know that folks have expressed interest.

OliverTwist

New in Town
Hi OliverTwist. Firstly, my DD A2 I purchased via Ebay, but I was lucky (at least I think so) as it fitted pretty much me as I would have wanted (not perfect but nearly!). Mine is made from Steer hide. I have always found steer to be much more grainy and a little more forgiving than horse, not better just different. As for the combat clone, initially I was not sure about it as the finish is quite pronounced but it has really grown on me. Kind of instant character/patina without the effort! It is my favourite jacket and one I wear more than any other.

Would you mind sharing a close-up of the patina? Thanks very much

OliverTwist

New in Town

Are those your own pictures or from someone else's order and do you know approx. when it was done?

My friend is quite discerning and he sent me many photos of his jacket, which looks nothing like that. I don't think it would be fair to compare a jacket that was done years ago when Dave was first getting started, with something he did 4 months ago. I've heard that he's come a long way. I won't say that pictures like those aren't concerning, but I'm going to see this through and hopefully we'll work out any issues, if they present themselves. To be fair, the lining is a really easy fix, though it never should have been shipped like that to begin with. Is the issue with the first two photos the width and proportion of the seam along the zipper? It's difficult to tell from the photos alone.

OliverTwist

New in Town
^ This. I have never seen a DD jacket in person, so I have no firsthand experience. That said, I have read less than positive comments from more than a couple of owners of DD jackets -- I have also seen photos of substandard workmanship. On the other hand, I have also read positive comments about DD and seen photos of good workmanship. Notwithstanding DD's remarkably competitive pricing for Shinki HH jackets, I personally would be reluctant to bite the bullet given his apparent inconsistency.

In contrast, JC/GW produces consistently top caliber jackets. Yes, GW is more expensive, and there is waiting list. Are GW's jackets worth it? IMHO, absolutely! The slightly higher price and longer wait is more than justified by the superlative quality, which will last a lifetime.

Thanks for the input. Had I not seen photos of my friend's recent J-100, I might have reconsidered after all of your remarks. Particularly
dudewuttheheck as he's the only person in this thread to have actually ordered a jacket from Dave directly. What I've decided is that I'll be as expressive as I can about what my expectations are, and if they're met, great... if not, I'll simply send the jacket back. I won't accept something that shows substandard workmanship. Had I not already sent payment, I might be swayed to go with an Eastman model to get my fix, and then place a future order through Goodwear; something I intend to do anyway. I've already committed to Dave though. Since feedback has been mixed at best (inconsistent is a better word) I'll remain optimistic and hope for the best. Rest assured I won't accept anything with blatantly obvious problems like those in the photos above.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
To be fair, hasn't DD admittied to still being in the process of perfecting the craft? Yes, some of that stitching is wobbly, perhaps less than up to par, but all in all I think they look to be nice jackets made from good leather. Have never handled one so I'm not the final word.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
DD has been in this trade for years. I'm still mystified how someone who seemed to have no problem making crusher hats seems to struggle with jackets the way he has. I'm also never going to accept the excuse 'still learning my trade' from somebody who's delivering below par merchandise while at the same time asking for a whack of money.

Mistercat

New in Town
My jacket was ordered mid March this year, received mid May.

Dave seems use great materials, however there appears to be a lack of consistency, 90% of the jacket is great.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
DD has been in this trade for years. I'm still mystified how someone who seemed to have no problem making crusher hats seems to struggle with jackets the way he has. I'm also never going to accept the excuse 'still learning my trade' from somebody who's delivering below par merchandise while at the same time asking for a whack of money.

IMHO, the other factor in play is the price. When you pay a grand for a jacket, you would expect it to be perfect. If you look at the designer brands like Belstaff, you would expect a somewhat flawless product. And in comparison, Aero Scotland offers apprentice grade jackets which are sold with pretty big discounts. To be fair to DD, my J100 seems to be in pretty good shape. In addition to that, even RM jackets can have uneven stitchings and unmatched hides. Unless you buy your jacket in the shops, there is no guarantee that it will be perfect when it reaches your door.

DD certainly seems to have a different demeanor/personality compared to JC. Doesn't seem to take criticism well. Perhaps that may contribute to some inconsistency when dealing with others. Making snide remarks about the FL and FL members on the VLJ in the past while F*** the FL was boldly displayed in his VLJ signature for months. He did feel that he was treated unfairly here, but that brazen vindictiveness surely doesn't make for the best business sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner