Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 question

rofl.gif

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will try to upload some of th Bill Kelso with me in it, but since I'm determined to sell, so try not to wear it too much.

I agree with Butte, there's no WW2 fit. and hence why I don't feel comfortable in this Bill Kelso

archbury918

One of the Regulars
From my experience with original A-2's its more on the manufacturer of the jacket as to its true size. I have had a number of contract jackets and none were consistent. My suit size is 42 but I've had some originals tagged a 48 that fit me.
I think the same can be said of modern clothing makers. A 32 waist in one jean that fits may take a 34 in another.
The whole "WWII sizing" can be taken out of context. As was stated, these jackets weren't intended to have a number of layers under them.
All of us had a different frame when we came out of high school as compared to now. Thats why the bulk of original jackets are the 36-38 range.
How many of you fit into your school varsity jackets anymore? lol
Michael

Edward

Bartender
From my experience with original A-2's its more on the manufacturer of the jacket as to its true size. I have had a number of contract jackets and none were consistent. My suit size is 42 but I've had some originals tagged a 48 that fit me.

Jinkies, that's some variance....

I wonder did some of them label the size as the actual chest measurement of the jacket as opposed to the size of the intended wearer: I say this because my Harrington type jackets that fit me great are all about 48" round the chest. I wear a 42 in an Aero and a ELC A2 (both, I believe 1942 era contracts), and those are ideal on me. The chest measurement on both jackets is 46" - equivalent to a modern 42R / 44R suit jacket, depending on manufacturer.

Anyhoo....

I think the same can be said of modern clothing makers. A 32 waist in one jean that fits may take a 34 in another.
The whole "WWII sizing" can be taken out of context. As was stated, these jackets weren't intended to have a number of layers under them.
All of us had a different frame when we came out of high school as compared to now. Thats why the bulk of original jackets are the 36-38 range.
Michael

I don't even fit stuff I wore eight years ago... mind you, in the Summer of 2004 I was at the peak of my Belsen-chic phase, and you could have lost an eye on my cheekbones...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Michael

Not always true, I am close to the same size as I was when I was 18. I still fit into my 1984 jacket. I'm 45. It's not something I have worked on, just luck, I guess.

rubbersoul007

New in Town
I wound up purchasing an Aero 42-15142P in seal on ebay, you were right ButteMT61 about the Aero, very happy with it. I have an opportunity to purchase a used seal Real McCoys. What is your opinion of the Real McCoys?

Thanks

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I wound up purchasing an Aero 42-15142P in seal on ebay, you were right ButteMT61 about the Aero, very happy with it. I have an opportunity to purchase a used seal Real McCoys. What is your opinion of the Real McCoys?

Thanks
Glad you found a jacket you like. Like to see pix on the fit. The 42-P contracts are one of my favorites.
As for the Real McCoy's, its one of the best repro makers you can find. Did you see my thread post (#32) for the one one ebay?

archbury918

One of the Regulars
That has to be your call. It'll be a long while before you see such a jacket again.
You won't have as much competition with the larger size, but a 42 w/ similar marks and this premier jacket would be well over $500USD

Last edited:
I've reported this and the last auction by this guy. The bidding/bidders have been suspicious. I'm not touching anything until I hear back from eBay. I'd wager the last jacket (Aero) may end up being sold again if the buyer (feedback of "1") doesn't come through...
It could be HE is the one that's got shady buyers bidding, or it only looks that way. Just be careful.
That said, McCoys have a good reputation - I don't own one so I can't speak to any experiences.

@ rubbersoul007 - glad you got the Aero and like it! Picking up another one tonight myself. A very slightly used model. Post pics! :)

Last edited:

rubbersoul007

New in Town
I'm the buyer with the 1 :)
I bought the Aero. Got it today , I'll post a pic when I log into my Mac.
Jacket is in great shape.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
No worries.... You're fine. Having been a long time ebayer, when an item sells for a top dollar with a buyer with no history, it sometimes turns out badly.
There are those that scam and shill bid to manipulate things.
Congratulations!
I just hope you can afford the Real McCoy as well. It will be a great addition.

rubbersoul007

New in Town
Ok Gents, I have to ask, remember I'm a rook to these jackets. I know these jackets are built to last but should I ever use a leather conditioner such as pecards on these jackets?

LOL - OK, I feel better! Your bidding was sporadic and crazy! You looked like a shill or someone that was not going to pay! lol
I'm really glad that's not the case. I bid on that one too. Congrat's! Don't put anything on it! It's fine. Will be for years before you need to condition it. It's hard not to want to, but it's fine as-is, and wear the hell out of it! It will look better the more you abuse it. Looking forward to more pics - and welcome to another Big Guy! :)
And FYI, I have asked the same thing before. I know the feeling - fight it!

Last edited:
Congrats!

As Butte says, don't put anything on it. It doesn't need anything..and what with silicone often being an "unlisted ingredient" (or even listed for that matter), no need to "goop it up".
Just wear it a lot.
A nice soaking while wearing it in the rain...exercising those arms/chest.....then left to air dry (not by a heater!!) is a great way to "break in" a leather jacket, soften it up a bit, give it a nice patina, and mold it to your body.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Hi Fellas,
Lost track of this thread and just came back to it. Yup, that's my D-1 that I bought from John. I just wore it this last weekend when the temps went way down again. Great jacket! John built this one as a test patterned after an original he had purchased. The only thing left from that original jacket is the label and the buckle on the throat latch! The fleece is a tad too white, which John pointed out in his original description when it was for sale on his site. I purchased it a year ago December. Really great when the temp drops below 20. John put some vintage Talons on it and I added some leather pulls to help with using the zippers. John did a nice job "antiquing" the AAF decal. I spoke to John about a month ago and asked him if he had plans for making more D-1s and he said he did and that he was sourcing the shearling fleece to use for them. If you're really interested, it might be a good idea to contact John and encourage him! While wearing the jacket the other day, I was noticing the details of the D-1 compared to an A-2. The D-1 is a much simpler pattern and should be an easy fit for a lot of people. Hopefully, John can make them quicker and cheaper(?) than an A-2 as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn