Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 question

I wonder if companies stopped making clothes for "out of shape" physiques, if people would attempt to get into shape again? Seems makers adjusted to the market, hence blousy jackets.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I know I can speak for myself that with the investment I've made in these jackets, it's kept me the same size for the last 30+ years.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
"guns",
I don't know anything about ELC's new .50 cal offerings, but believe their PH and "warhorse" jackets are using an inferior grade of leather. It will crease and wear faster to appeal to those wanting that "time worn" look. I prefer to let mine break in through wearing them.
Since I still don't trust ELC's sizing, I would have them ship you one for fit. If you're going to drop nearly a grand on a jacket it should be what you want. Gary has always been accommodating on that more than his HPA outlet here in NJ.
Would like to know your impression of the .50 cal line.
Michael

Thanks for your advice Michael, interesting to hear somebody's comment about the new 'warhorse' leather of ELC. It looks to me that they used the new leathers as one of the many reasons of the recent price hike. Some say the warhorse hide has a better character when it has been worn in. As for my .50Cal, I bought it because I like the colour of the jacket. The steerhide is in fact pretty thin, it does not crease like the HH does as it is less supple. I have worn it quite frequently for two years, but the jacket still looks quite new. The cutting for the jacket is definitely design for someone with a bit of beer belly. For a slim person like myself, it just does not work too well. That is why I want to see if the Star Sportswear is different as I really like the same sort of seal brown colour. I may actually wait until the Duxford airshow to try on the jackets myself in person. I may also want to sell the nice looking .50Cal in order to make some cash for my future purchase.......

Edward

Bartender
I wonder if companies stopped making clothes for "out of shape" physiques, if people would attempt to get into shape again? Seems makers adjusted to the market, hence blousy jackets.

I doubt it would make any difference - there would just me more ill-dressed people on the streets. [huh]

omarco

New in Town
I've been through the mill too. I've had a Lost Worlds briefly, an Aero, several Eastmans (Rough Wear 1401-Ps and a Monarch), a Gibson and Barnes, a Flightsuits, a US Authentic and long ago (1980's) a couple of Avirex.
Good Wear wins hands down and I am now up to 7 assorted contracts in both horse and goat. I'm hooked. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my addiction) I am similar in size to John and have picked them up direct from him or from forum members over on VLJ. I have his prototype D-1 and Cable Raincoat goat jackets. Timing is everything! You are right though about not being able to get a size 50 plus from John. He feels the contracts are just too compromised after sizing up that much.
After Good Wear, I would say you could go absolutely nuts and get a Real McCoys NZ. I snagged one of these on ebay a year ago for $325. It's a beaut but not as accurate as their current stuff, but great for about ten years ago. New ones are big $$$ and fantastic. Or a Buzz Rickson. Going the other way, I'd say an Eastman Star would be a great one and you'll see with the Pearl Harbor that they are very nice jackets. I love their Crown repro zipper, but I don't think they get the RW 1401-P contract right in either the body or the collar. I'm also not a fan of their knits as the ones on the jackets I had felt flimsy. Aero is not as good with A-2s, as their bodies are too tubular in form and their heavy HH is not right for an A-2 but I do have their B-6 and Highwayman which are both great and I love them. The only Eastman I have left is a black Luftwaffe, which I wore tonight with my gray Borsalino Como to the Chicago Auto Show. This is one beautiful and unusual jacket, more like a MC jacket than an A-2 type. Or get down to a size 48 and get a Good Wear! What better excuse to slim down!

great post! i'd love to see the GW D1 :)

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Ah "12 O'Clock High", I'd know that chamberpot anywhere! Outstanding!

PS your handle finally registered as well!

Worf

Hello Worf. I'm glad you made the connection! Not many do.
As for the "chamber pot", I must correct you. That is in fact a "toby jug". Something the Brits have been keen on since the 1800's. The tradition was adopted (as many others) from the RAF.
M

great post! i'd love to see the GW D1 :)

TypeD1_Knopf.jpg

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Damn!!! now there's another jacket for my list!!!
I knew John was toying with the idea of fleece jackets. He has scored again!
Michael

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I hope he does try to make a few of them. In the meantime, would love to go through his "vault" of jackets in the back!

archbury918

One of the Regulars

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bill Kelso Rough Wear repro
Just received my Bill Kelso, a couple of confusing and surprises, overall evaluation, a-OK.
Without warning, they made me a Rough Wear repro, overall quite accurate, except the zipper is neither Talon or Conmar (like I chose on the order page), but an IDEAL, fine, good zipper, but not the right one.

The horse is very supple, and greasy, thin, but has a beautiful crease. A very light jacket.

Size, too tight, Andy insisted I would like a 38 WW2 fit, what does he mean???? I insisted a 40, and even a 40 is too tight, again the question, what is a WW2 fit???

Knits, very nice, tight and right color. Lining, orange, quite strange.

See pictures please.

417066_10100332298874188_199701916_53130141_1995628277_a.jpg

396229_10100332298904128_199701916_53130142_196684248_a.jpg

Anyone wish to buy from me?

archbury918

One of the Regulars
regius, thanks for the review. I was intrigued by the maker when I came across them. I tend to pick up the mid-range jackets to have painted or patches put on.
Will have to pass on yours since it sounds way too small. I'm about 5'11", 190lbs. Depending on the maker, I take a 40 to 46 on the size tag.
Michael

Edward

Bartender
There is NO such thing as a WWII fit. Period.
What many are missing though is a WWII body.

Agreed. The difference is not only fashion, imo, but also purpose. It seems to me that by design the original A2 was a light jacket, a windbreaker, really, to be worn neatly fitting over just collar and tie; today's jackets inspired by it are designed to be outerwear for all seasons, hence a baggier fit more like a B15 or other cold weather jacket. That and of course a baggier fit is also a fashion thing, but not exclusively so.

Yeah, many of these guys were kids - skinny... I guess WW2 fit probably means for thin people.

That too. I always get a kick out of grown, middle-aged men fighting the bit out over accuracy of a jacket they plan to wear when they're twenty years and more too old to look remotely accurate in it themselves. And of course I include myself in that category. lol

Any photos of the Bill Kelso being worn? I've been keeping an eye on those more recently since Aero and ELC both went beyond what I'd be comfortable spending on an A2. I'm neither as knowledgeable as many folks round here nor intent on putting a uniform impression together, so I am happy to trade off a little accuracy against a lower price - Kelso seem to be a real front runner in that respect.

It's not the age nearly as much (have a look at the pics of many older brassed men wearing A-2's) it's the body. The body! Yeah, on occasion you'll see some overweight guy in a photo, but more often than not, not. If I'm overweight (and I was) looking for "accurate", I lose weight (and I did) first. You usually get 5-8 months of time to do it. Order, then get to the gym and stop stopping at KFC! lol

It's not the age nearly as much (have a look at the pics of many older brassed men wearing A-2's) it's the body. The body! Yeah, on occasion you'll see some overweight guy in a photo, but more often than not, not. If I'm overweight (and I was) looking for "accurate", I lose weight (and I did) first. You usually get 5-8 months of time to do it. Order, then get to the gym and stop stopping at KFC! lol

I'm too chicken.....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace