Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 question

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've read many positive comments regarding the GoodWear A2. Is this because it is made accurately or authentic ?
Is it the quality of material ? Or is it the comfort of the wear ? Or perhaps, it's a combination of all ? Not having the
knowledge or experience, I ask you who are more informed. I understand that there is a long waiting period & the
price is high.

I've read many positive comments regarding the GoodWear A2. Is this because it is made accurately or authentic ?
Is it the quality of material ? Or is it the comfort of the wear ? Or perhaps, it's a combination of all ? Not having the
knowledge or experience, I ask you who are more informed. I understand that there is a long waiting period & the
price is high.

Basically..yes.

If owning an A2 jacket that could have been handed to you by your squadrons quartermaster during WWII is important to you...GoodWear is a good place to look.
Meticulous attention to reproducing the different original contract details and leather/components.
Custom made to your fit.
And...John is a pleasure to deal with. The only caveat being he has been "doing it all" till recently when Vickie came on board to deal with emails and leave John in peace to actually make the jackets. Can be a bit of a wait for your order.
That..and the fit of those original A2 designs tends to be different from the "modern" idea of a "comfortable fit".
In particular, when reaching forward (like a zombie in a "B" grade horror film) they tend to "bind" more at the front of the shoulders.
Recent discussion about the subject from the VLJ forum;

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11074

Last edited:

rubbersoul007

New in Town
Heres a pic of the Aero:

A2_Aero.jpg

tater

New in Town
JC is a pleasure to deal with. My fit issue was likely contract related. I think my problem (that VLJ thread was me as OP) was that I have pretty wide shoulders. I had a different contract suggested, and it was perfect. I also know what to expect at this point in terms of how it should feel. It's easy for a collector, or someone who has had a few A-2s to know what to ask for in fit. Those of us who are noobs need some data points.

Bottom line in that thread was that I was asking A-2 owners (people with more data points than me, basically anyone with a "real" A-2 (meaning ww2 not modern)) if they could be uncomfortable when new, then get better over time. The answer from virtually all replies was that they do get MORE comfortable, but they should not, even new, be UNcomfortable. This was John's take as well I should add.

If I had been issued the jacket in ww2, and it felt uncomfortable, I'd have just tried to stretch it out in the pits. I likely could have done that with the first one I had, frankly. It was very close. The Aero pattern, though, was spot-on. I "got it" right away when I put it on.

It's tough when there is no place to simply try one on. That's all it would really take to get a feel for what you need in terms of fit.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Come to Seattle for a fitting :D

Luckily, I live here so visiting JC will only cost me about $10 in gas

tater

New in Town
Actually, were I to do it all over again, I might have actually done that (hopped a flight to Seattle).

Still, he'd need to have some 40s, or small 42s lying around. I imagine it's easier to do a try-on if you are closer to JC's size (46 by his labeling, anyway). A fitting, yes, but part of the issue for someone (like myself) with no experience in more authentic ww2 A-2s is knowing what they feel like on. It's something you could dial in in 5 minutes with a rack of real jackets, and would still be an unknown quantity until your jacket was made if you were merely measured. If that makes sense.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Actually, were I to do it all over again, I might have actually done that (hopped a flight to Seattle).

Still, he'd need to have some 40s, or small 42s lying around. I imagine it's easier to do a try-on if you are closer to JC's size (46 by his labeling, anyway). A fitting, yes, but part of the issue for someone (like myself) with no experience in more authentic ww2 A-2s is knowing what they feel like on. It's something you could dial in in 5 minutes with a rack of real jackets, and would still be an unknown quantity until your jacket was made if you were merely measured. If that makes sense.

I hear ya; have owned a2s that fit proper, but I personally hated. Me thinks the answer is in the contract and letting John know how you want it fitted. Or if you're sticking with the used market, be ok with buying and selling dozens of jackets till you finally get one you like (if ever!)

I like mine a bit on the slim side, so am targeting a "slimmer" contract.

The "perfect" jacket is a pipe dream, however! Admit you have a sickness and embrace the rush. Wait, that sounds like what a smack addict would say :D :D

I think you can find perfect jackets - but there's nothin' wrong with owning more than one :)
More seriously, if you do have one you really like/love, send it to <fill in the maker> so they can see it.

JohnnyLoco

Familiar Face
I just picked up a Cooper Saddlery at the local Salvation Army for about 30 bucks. More than I wanted to spend (for most leather jackets I'd rather do 15 to 20 bucks), but I was willing to come up because it was practically new.

It's just, every time I try it on and look in the mirror, even though it looks pretty good, I just can't help but feeling kind of like a poser because I didn't earn the thing.
And I just end up asking myself what the fascination with the A2 (or G-1) is all about. I'll probably end up selling it on the bay to go towards either a new bike, gun, or leather jacket.

rubbersoul007

New in Town
A2 Fever

Hello Folks,

It seems I seem to have this addiction to A2 jackets, I am new to this but I seem to what more and more :eeek:
I bought my first Aero off of ebay a month or so ago. I just purchased an Eastman Roughwear 1401P in Russet.

A2_1401P_1.jpg

And finally, I wanted to get some advice, I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Real McCoys NZ JA Dubow in Russet for 50% off of their current prices. Sounds too good to be true right :cool:
Heres the caveat, Paddy at RMNZ told this was made for some kind of a show. The very top collar is unaligned meaning it can never be hooked together. The jacket can be zipped 90- 95% of the way but will never be able to hook it together. Here are a few pics. Paddy told me the lighting was bad and the jacket looks very shiny but it is not shiny as the pics portray.
A_Real_McCoys_3.jpg

A_Real_McCoys_2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn