Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 question

rubbersoul007

New in Town
Hello folks
I'm new to the forum. I wanted some feedback on A2 manufacturers. I just ordered a Lost Worlds A2. It is an JA Dubow in horsehide russet. Any thoughts, comments? How does the quality compare to Good wear, Aero, Eastman?
I also just grabbed a steal on an Eastman Pearl Harbor edition in American Walnut. I would have bought one of their contract A2's but a friend of mine sold this to me brand new for $275.00. The price could not be beat. These are my first purchases of A2 jackets. Wanted to know your thoughts and comments on these two jackets.
Thanks

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. The LW Dubow and the ELC PH are both nice jackets. In terms of absolute accuracy Good Wear A2s win hands down, but as there is an 8 month wait for a new one you have plenty of time to save up for one and enjoy your Dubow and PH A2s!:)

767fo

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the forum. The LW Dubow and the ELC PH are both nice jackets. In terms of absolute accuracy Good Wear A2s win hands down, but as there is an 8 month wait for a new one you have plenty of time to save up for one and enjoy your Dubow and PH A2s!:)

I could not agree more with Andrew. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and cancel your LW order and enjoy the good deal on the Eastman until your Good Wear arrives. You are going to pay 1000 on a jacket that I promise you will sell. Lost Worlds motorcycle jackets are excellent but the A2's are so far from being accurate that you will not in the long run be happy with the amount invested. IMHO

rubbersoul007

New in Town
Goodwear was the first place I tried, unfortunately After John did the measurements he could not make my size which is a 50. The LW can and the PH is also a 50. I really wanted a Goodwear.

rubbersoul007

New in Town
Aside from inaccuracies, how is the leather quality on the LW? Is it tough to break in? What are some of the inaccuracies? I may have to shed a few pounds in the future :)

What about an Aero A-2? They'll do a 50 better than a LW. I went through the same thing until I dumped 35 pounds and went from 50+ to a 48.
Allen is right, you'll probably sell it once you get it, and frankly, the Aero will be better and cost less.

rubbersoul007

New in Town
I'm glad I posted the questions as the LW order can still be canceled. What do you recommend as far as an Aero? I am looking at these three:

Aero "Anniversary" 42-15142-P Type A-2 Russet

Aero 40-3785-P Type A-2

Bronco W535AC29191 Type A-2

Thanks for saving me from making a mistake with LW.

It's not that LW is bad - far from it - it's the A-2. Just not what you want in a mil repro. All the Aero's you mentioned are good. Search here - tons of posts/pics on them.
You'd be much happier going that route (IMO)

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
I've been through the mill too. I've had a Lost Worlds briefly, an Aero, several Eastmans (Rough Wear 1401-Ps and a Monarch), a Gibson and Barnes, a Flightsuits, a US Authentic and long ago (1980's) a couple of Avirex.
Good Wear wins hands down and I am now up to 7 assorted contracts in both horse and goat. I'm hooked. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my addiction) I am similar in size to John and have picked them up direct from him or from forum members over on VLJ. I have his prototype D-1 and Cable Raincoat goat jackets. Timing is everything! You are right though about not being able to get a size 50 plus from John. He feels the contracts are just too compromised after sizing up that much.
After Good Wear, I would say you could go absolutely nuts and get a Real McCoys NZ. I snagged one of these on ebay a year ago for $325. It's a beaut but not as accurate as their current stuff, but great for about ten years ago. New ones are big $$$ and fantastic. Or a Buzz Rickson. Going the other way, I'd say an Eastman Star would be a great one and you'll see with the Pearl Harbor that they are very nice jackets. I love their Crown repro zipper, but I don't think they get the RW 1401-P contract right in either the body or the collar. I'm also not a fan of their knits as the ones on the jackets I had felt flimsy. Aero is not as good with A-2s, as their bodies are too tubular in form and their heavy HH is not right for an A-2 but I do have their B-6 and Highwayman which are both great and I love them. The only Eastman I have left is a black Luftwaffe, which I wore tonight with my gray Borsalino Como to the Chicago Auto Show. This is one beautiful and unusual jacket, more like a MC jacket than an A-2 type. Or get down to a size 48 and get a Good Wear! What better excuse to slim down!

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Hey Butte,
Not sure if the Aero A-2 I had was heavyweight HH or just HH that was just too thick. I got that one second hand on ebay and it was gorgeous, but it just didn't fit right. Not sure of it's vintage, but it was all part of the learning curve in the quest for the ultimate A-2. The leather they used for the collar was way too thick as well and refused to sit right. Again, not a "bad" jacket, just not right for an A-2. The A-2 is a notoriously difficult to fit jacket. I think that's why folks seem to cycle through them here and especially on VLJ. The other part of the problem is every high end maker has an issue with how true to size they are. It helps to know your size and measurements. Classic fit vs. more relaxed modern fit mall jackets. The competition between Good Wear and ELC (no, I'm not trying to start that pissing match here) has upped everyone's game in the last few years. This is a good thing. Talking with JC you begin to understand how far he has come in 3 years, and he has been very helpful and critical of some of his earlier work. He has been helpful by advising about some of his earlier jackets which have come up for sale on the forums. After so many misses, I finally have several keepers in the stable. Be prepared to struggle to find the "perfect" fit. Doing your research on here and VLJ also helps. Lots of kind folks on both forums.

I have a friend that ordered an Aero A2 in FQHH. Looked awesone, but not like a "real" A2.
I have three Aero FQHH jackets and I could see the collar not laying right (for the A2 look) as its thick like you say.
As far as ELC, I just don't get excited over them. Don't know why, don't care as there's lots of makers I do like.
I'm also waiting to see the new Kelso's.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Hey Butte,
I know what you mean about ELC, but don't want to start the flame war up. Keep things positive and shiny side up!
The Kelso looks interesting for a more reasonably priced jacket, especially in light of the price increases for Good Wear, et al.

Yeah, guess I missed "the war" on that subject, but there's others brewing! Kelso is supposed to be releasing new jackets soon (how soon is soon?)
I buy jackets to wear, so anything I purchase is going to be worn or flipped. I collect lots of things that get "displayed" and clothing ain't one of those things. I reckon WWII jackets are still around so nothing I buy will wear out before I do :)

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I own (or have owned), most of the contract jackets mentioned here.
I have no beef with LW. My A-2 is about 10yrs old and still looks new. Yes, Stu uses a thicker hide, and the cut is an early war contract. His B-3 is gorgeous, and one of my favorite jackets.
I wholeheartedly agree that John's jackets are the best.
As for ELC, his jackets still vary with consistent sizing, and the durability of their knits I've never been pleased with.
You can't go wrong with an Aero, but if you're a size 50, you will find the 42-P contract too trim for your liking.
The Bronco from ELC has a good square cut. I think you'll prefer it.
I recommend you visit www.acmedepot.com to get the "skinny" on the various makers and contracts.
Welcome to the jacket sickness your about to be infected with!
Michael

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
archbury918, since you have owned most of those jackets, I am intereted in getting the ELC Stars A-2, I wear the size 40 .50Cal A-2, the shoulder and chest fit very well but then there is so much room between the belly and waist. Just wonder if the Stars will have a slimmer cutting than the .50Cal.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
"guns",
I had the ELC Star Sportswear about 7yrs ago. I wear a 42 in a "civy" suit and had theirs in a size 40. I like to wear my jackets with no more than an Eddie Bauer shaker crew neck type sweater underneath. It had a nice trim athletic fit without riding up at the waist. It had a good reach while seated as well. It fit close without being snug. The only reason I parted with the jacket was the collar. I'm a fan of collar stands and this jacket after a couple of years of rotated wear began to spread and flatten out. It reminded me of the leisure suit look of the '70s.... definitely not a fan of it!
The contract also has a larger collar to start with, so it took on more of a motorcycle jacket look to it. It just didn't appeal to me. It wanted to curl on the edges as well. Perhaps a thicker cut of their HH may have made the difference, but I haven't taken the plunge on making special requests when ordering.
I don't know anything about ELC's new .50 cal offerings, but believe their PH and "warhorse" jackets are using an inferior grade of leather. It will crease and wear faster to appeal to those wanting that "time worn" look. I prefer to let mine break in through wearing them.
Since I still don't trust ELC's sizing, I would have them ship you one for fit. If you're going to drop nearly a grand on a jacket it should be what you want. Gary has always been accommodating on that more than his HPA outlet here in NJ.
Would like to know your impression of the .50 cal line.
Michael

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I gather ELC did used to be a bit on the baggy side - patterns adjusted for the modern physique? Not sure when mine was made as I bought used, but I suspect after they revised them. They are good about exchanges (I had to exchange a B2 cap as they definitely come up small in size), and they were great with that. Definitely though I would try and get the size issue sorted before you by as it is expensive to send back from the US....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn