Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 with wool cuffs and waist

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Sorry but my question was pretty vague. I am not looking for a reproduction but for a modern generic A2 type jacket. To give you an idea, I wore an LL Bean jacket for years. Although many I am sure consider such an abomination, the only complaint I had was the synthetic cuffs and waistband.

So I was wondering if any of the modern variations had actual wool.

Thanks.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
LL Bean Flying Tigers

Richard Warren said:
Sorry but my question was pretty vague. I am not looking for a reproduction but for a modern generic A2 type jacket. To give you an idea, I wore an LL Bean jacket for years. Although many I am sure consider such an abomination, the only complaint I had was the synthetic cuffs and waistband.

So I was wondering if any of the modern variations had actual wool.

Thanks.

I bought an LL Bean jacket in Size 34 . .goatskin . . thinsulate . ..with knit cuffs and waistband . . .and the label said "LL BEAN FLYING TIGERS" jacket . . .Moreover, the smaller seam tag said the knits were wool . . .so perhaps a vintage Bean "Flying Tigers" would suit . . .

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Richard Warren said:
Sorry but my question was pretty vague. I am not looking for a reproduction but for a modern generic A2 type jacket. To give you an idea, I wore an LL Bean jacket for years. Although many I am sure consider such an abomination, the only complaint I had was the synthetic cuffs and waistband.QUOTE]

Odd. I have two older LL Bean A2 type jackets, one with sheepskin lining and mouton collar and one with a cotton lining. I don't have either with me at the moment, but I'm certain both have wool cuffs and waistband. Both were purchased on Ebay. Details have changed. I believe their current winter version is "wool fleece" lined, not sheepskin. I don't consider LL Bean jackets abominations. Mine are excellent quality and very well made. I'm not interested in being "screen accurate" or looking like I fly planes for a living.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I would highly recommend the 1988 "Saddlery" A-2s that were re-issued to the USAF. They are made of russet goatskin, with wool cuffs and light brown cotton lining. As modern A-2s go, its a pretty nice one, and as an added bonus, its an official military garment. They usually run between 100-150 bucks on ebay.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm afraid you're going to find that ONLY reproductions of the WWII-era A-2s come with wool knits and cotton linings. The vast majority of A-2s, including virtually all now made relating to the 80s- and current-USAF specs, use synthetics. Sadly, it appears that nobody but us notices or cares!

Thus, the problem that you're going to run into is that the jackets with the wool knits won't have the other features that you'll probably want, like handwarmer pockets and a wallet pocket. And once you start negotiating customizations, it can get expensive.

(For the record, as I've said here before: US Authentic's medium-brown goatskin A-2 is probably the best buy you'll find for a decent A-2 with wool knits/cotton lining, at $315.)

JLStorm

Practically Family
If your not looking for a repro, you could pick up a used Schott off of Ebay. Good leather and cuffs and they can be had for between 50 and - 125 USD in good to great condition.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Apologies to L L Bean

I stand corrected and apologize to Bean. I dug out my jacket and it indeed has wool cuffs and waistband. Can't even remember why I thought otherwise. Even the current issue is 76 % wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran