Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2's: Wear 'em or Collect 'em?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I guess I'm also falling for the classic A2 jacket.
There's a lot to wade thru out there with respect to which one is more authentic, materials, patterns, etc.
But I'm not so much concerned with which one is most authentic as I am with which one will fit me, look good, and provide the best utility for me.
And to that end, I gotta have hand warmer pockets on any jacket I purchase.
Seems like most of you purchase the A2 to be as close as possible to the originals, which means, no handwarmer pockets.
I can't for the life of me imagine not wanting these in a jacket.
Sure, if you're just gonna hang it up in the closet, or drape it over a display model, that's fine.
But to actually wear it outside in the cold, I'd think hand warmer pockets would be invaluable.
Now, I'm not trying to put anybody down, or start a flame war.
And I truly understand the collecting aspect of the whole Aviator Jacket culture.
Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion.
Lenny

atkins

Familiar Face
Lenny, may i suggest,buy the most authentic /correct repro you can afford and a leather gloves. You will have best of both worlds. And right now, Goodwear is the end of the rainbow, but i don't think i'll ever reach that pot of gold. That's just me though....

Regards,
Atkins

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Yeah, I hear you, and I've read most of the threads about Good Wear. And I do have nice gloves.
But I'd also like to have the option of not wearing gloves. (BTW, why isn't there more discussion on gloves)
Like I said, I'm not looking for the most authentic jacket in the world. I just want it to look good and be made of quality materials.
Aero is fine, as is US Authentic (although I've never seen either in person) and they both seem to be priced quite a bit less than the Good Wear's.
Lenny

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I'm a wearer also. To be honest, I have never missed having handwarmer pockets on my A-1, A-2s, M-444, or B-2s. I always wear gloves with the heavier jackets and I usually wear pants with on-seam pockets with the lighter jackets so I can just slip my hands in my pants pockets if they get cold.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Noel

Fenton

Familiar Face
Personally I think it's the history and atmosphere surrounding flight jackets that attract people to A2, regardless of whether they're old or reproduced. IMO A2s don't really flatter the physique of most of their owners ... they look good on young athletic guys - the guys they were originally made for.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm definitely a wearer, not a collector. I only have two A-2 jackets: a Flight Suits/G&B "Civil" in black goatskin and a US Authentic in seal horsehide.

My FS has handwarmer pockets. I find them useful for holding my car keys, phone, etc. But honestly, I usually put my hands in my pants pockets when walking around in this jacket.

For starters, they're not warm: they're not made of welted material, just nylon, and they are set between thin goatskin and an insubstantial dacron lining. Truth be told, the A-2 is not really a very warm jacket. In my experience, with a good wool sweater and LS shirt beneath (and a hat!), they're only good down to about 40-45 degrees. (When it's colder than that, I'm typically wearing a peacoat or B-15 jacket.)

The other thing about handwarmer pockets is that they sit directly behind the patch pockets. If you're a widebody like me, there isn't enough expansion room at the gut to really use both sets of pockets. Even empty, the two sets of pocket bags stuffed between the hide and lining render the jacket a bit tighter.

(My US A doesn't have handwarmer pockets, and it's slightly warmer than the FS due to its heavier horsehide and flannel-like cotton lining. But it's still not really a winter jacket.)

Anyway, if you're not hung up on "authenticity" or having a smooth line on the torso (and you have some room at the gut!), and you want handwarmer pockets, then you should definitely get them. They can come in handy... but don't kid yourself, they don't really render the jacket all that more useful in cold weather.

kampkatz

Practically Family
OneEyedMan, there are many different "A-2" versions out there. You can find a version to please your taste and budget that has hidden hand warmer pockets. Just do a thorough job of researching all your options. Since you are not conderned about total accuracy you are bound to find the "perfect" flight jacket that you seek. Good luck and happy hunting.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
I'm definitely a wearer, not a collector. I only have two A-2 jackets: a Flight Suits/G&B "Civil" in black goatskin and a US Authentic in seal horsehide.

My FS has handwarmer pockets. I find them useful for holding my car keys, phone, etc. But honestly, I usually put my hands in my pants pockets when walking around in this jacket.

For starters, they're not warm: they're not made of welted material, just nylon, and they are set between thin goatskin and an insubstantial dacron lining. Truth be told, the A-2 is not really a very warm jacket. In my experience, with a good wool sweater and LS shirt beneath (and a hat!), they're only good down to about 40-45 degrees. (When it's colder than that, I'm typically wearing a peacoat or B-15 jacket.)

The other thing about handwarmer pockets is that they sit directly behind the patch pockets. If you're a widebody like me, there isn't enough expansion room at the gut to really use both sets of pockets. Even empty, the two sets of pocket bags stuffed between the hide and lining render the jacket a bit tighter.

(My US A doesn't have handwarmer pockets, and it's slightly warmer than the FS due to its heavier horsehide and flannel-like cotton lining. But it's still not really a winter jacket.)

Anyway, if you're not hung up on "authenticity" or having a smooth line on the torso (and you have some room at the gut!), and you want handwarmer pockets, then you should definitely get them. They can come in handy... but don't kid yourself, they don't really render the jacket all that more useful in cold weather.

I was never really attracted to the A2, for a few reasons: didn't really like the knit cuffs and bottom, and as said above, if you are a bit "portly" like me, the fit is not really flattering. I have a G&B Goat Expedition, which I love and is based upon the A2, but it is at best, a light windbreaker, and totally unsuitable for temps below 50 F.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An A2 with handwarmer pockets is not a military spec A2. I only collect A2s to wear, albeit some more than others. If the knits have been replaced and the leather is strong then they can be worn on a daily basis. Originals with original knits are worn less often, perhaps to air shows.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
aswatland said:
An A2 with handwarmer pockets is not a military spec A2. I only collect A2s to wear, albeit some more than others. If the knits have been replaced and the leather is strong then they can be worn on a daily basis. Originals with original knits are worn less often, perhaps to air shows.

I agree 100 % with Andrews statement above.
A2's had no hand warmers therefore it should not be considered one if it has them.
Goodwear and Eastman Leathers are the best examples on the market.
US Authentic may be a nice product but it's jackets are not even close to the authenticity of Goodwear and Eastman.

green papaya

One Too Many
A2 jackets are uncomfortable

I never wear my A2 jacket because it just doesnt feel comfortable, not enough room to move freely, too restrictive for casual wear.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
green papaya said:
I never wear my A2 jacket because it just doesnt feel comfortable, not enough room to move freely, too restrictive for casual wear.

I had the same problem!

The answer is to buy them big enough. The Sporty's Pilot Shop jacket that I just got in 46 is a full cut, and as a result it's amazingly comfortable. I can even wear a sweater under it without it binding.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
green papaya said:

How many A2s have you owned? Having owned around 50 and currently owning 15 originals i find them very comfortable. The trick is to buy them the correct size, not too tight. I have a 38 chest, so I wear a wartime 42 or 44 and there are no problems. It sounds as if your A2 is too small for you.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
hand warmer pockets

try to find a jacket you really like the style and then have it custom fitted with the hand warmer pockets,that way you got the best of both worlds.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
not so gLasshoppah...

An A2 with handwarmer pockets is not a military spec A2

as much as i respect all on the forum, i'd say the above quote is a qualified statement where the qualification has been left out...

prior to the early 90s, a2's with handwarmer pockets were not milspec, but the specs were changed in the early 90s, and i have a number of milspec a-2s from spiewak and sons, schott (NO, not the biker jacket, actual rare milspec) and another contract maker or two that have the handwarmer pockets in them, and are definitely milspec

i think the quote above has left out, or implied, the qualification that a milspec 'ww2' a2 does not have handwarmer pockets...

so if you want a true milspec post war (90s+) a-2 with handwarmers, you do have them out there...if you are a size 42 then i have several you might be interested in...schott and spiewak and sons

that said, i do have to display my arrogance and say i think an a2 with handwarmer pockets is an aBoMiNaTion, and they should all be repurchased from a superfund, and destroyed...

ok...ok, i'm not that fanatical...but close to it

lastly, if you want a current true milspec a2 with handwarmers (ychhhh) i'd recommend leathercoatsetc.com as they are one of the suppliers to the military of the current a2 model...as stated, the milspecs since the 90s have been relaxed...their current a2 has no throat hook, has handwarmer pockets, and is a bit fuller in the body, which will allow you to use the handwarmer pockets without busting your coat apart as mentioned above

as for leathercoatsetc.com, i've written about them, and have just been delighted to get one of the best g-1 jackets ever from them (nO handwarmers, as except for the uscg model, all g-1s cannot be milspec and have handwarmers)

they are having these sales with the economy the way it is, and if you sign up on their website, every few weeks they send you a coupon for either free shipping, or 20percent off, and their prices are just over $200 to begin with...i got in on the easter 25% sale and got simply an amazing 46 reg navy g-1

however, i will allow that in the past i've had to send some back because of minor defects like a small leather tear...but unlike usawings.com, leathercoatsetc.com has never refused to send a replacement, or accept a refund...their customer service is a1

here you go if you wanna check em out, but i'd first sign up or call to see if you can get one of their discounts...20percent is over $40:
http://www.leathercoatsetc.com/p-157-a-2-flight-jacket-premium-goatskin-leather.aspx

along with cockpitusa and usawings, i believe leathercoatsetc is the only u.s. manufacturer currently making milspec a2s and g-1s...or at least doing so and also selling them to the public

leathercoatsetc uses the unite factory to make their jackets, and the quality can sometimes vary, so i'd request in your order that your jacket be inspected for small defects before being sent...but i'd definitely support u.s. workers and this u.s. military jacket company, especially since their current handwarmered a2 is what you are looking for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn